Is PayPal Safe?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
I've never used the PayPal system and wanted to hear others comments before i sign up.

I use it fairly often. Never had any issues. Nor do I know of anyone that has. But like anything else online, if the wrong person gets ahold of the database, what's yours is theirs. I only keep enough in there for specific purchases.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use it when I need to. It is probably as safe enough.

It is, however, expensive, if you are on the fee end of the transaction.

I was selling a pretty expensive guitar on Ebay last year, and the fees got pretty outrageous. I heard they have increased since then. One suggestion, if you are a seller, have the buyer use a 'virtual check'. This type of transaction (and that is not the correct name for it) has a $5.00 maximum fee. This transaction type save me over sixty bucks in fees. The downside ... you have to wait a bit longer for your money - 3 business days.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an account that I never use. Lately, I've been recieving oodles of emails asking for me to log on and verify certain bits of information. A quick hover over the links provided show that the url is NOT to PayPal; but, rather, to some numeric ip or somesuch.

Be cautious but don't be fearful.

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
are there fees for sending payments as well?
i didnt really see anything on the site that mentioned it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:

From my understanding, just if you are receiving

MrH

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:

If you are doing a standard transaction which may take a few days, No. If you want something done in a hurry, Yes.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been using Paypal for about 5 years. I've never had any problems. I use it to both send and receive payments. It is free for buyers. Sellers pay a % of the sale (I think 1.5%) which is actually lower than what most credit card companies charge.

Plus there is protection you get with Paypal. I once ordered a product from an online store (not ebay) and they sent me the wrong item. When I notified them they apologized and said the correct item would be sent immediately and to return the incorrect item at my convenience. I returned it the same day but never got the replacement. I contacted them several times and got the runaround. So I contacted Paypal by telephone. They refunded my money immediately and said if I got my product or a refund from the seller just consider it a freebie. I eventually did get a refund from the seller when I told him I reported him to Paypal.

I don't have any reservations using it.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, it's safe but very true it can be expensive. We used to use it for students who wanted to use credit cards.. but we lost to much money to paypal for their fees.. It's great way to pay something though :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use paypal all the time.

A word of caution however... I have talked to a number of ebay sellers who for whatever reason had their pay-pal balances "frozen" and never got their money, so they no longer accept it as a form of payment... Read the TOS carfully because it apparently says they can do that for any number of reasons.

But, in like 4 years, I have never had an issue with it.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have had an account banned through paypal, they can do this if they decide they don't like what you're selling somewhere on the net and accepting payment via their system. I won't go into what i was selling online but it was fairly commonplace items and nothing perverted or outrageous! But although i was annoyed they didnt give me a warning and just banned my account, they didnt hold onto my money and it was freely available to withdraw, just not to accept any payments after that. I do have another account now and so far so good with that one! Just make sure you are careful when you receive any emails asking for username/password that they are from paypal, i received a fantastic copy yesterday which looked pretty much identical, the url was different though.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are no fees if you send money, only have fees accepting money if you accept credit card payments. The thing to remember if you accept payments is never ship to a paypal address that has not been verified if the person pays by Credit Card, cause you run a high chance that the person using the card or Paypal login is not the true owner of it and the funds can be taken away and if it happens after you have shipped the item you are out of luck.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
I've never used the PayPal system and wanted to hear others comments before i sign up.
I have used it for some items over the couple of years, Everything from a couple of dollars to a few thousand dollars. No problems to really speak of, by this I mean I had one error on EBAY that billed me twice and did nto recognize it paid from Paypal and so I was billed twice, but contacted the seller and he refunded one in less than 24 hours. This was using the new feature on EBAY to pay for all items at once, when ever I have paid for anything one at a time never a problem. They also have a dispute policy that a friend of mine had to use, and was resolved with a credit to his account. Always user beware, and use with caution and do not believe the spoof e-mails you get saying you have to hit the link to update your PayPal account. Always type it in yourself and check there. Good Luck

T

twayman

I have been using paypal for years and never had a problem... If that helps.:idunno:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use it for ebay all the time. No problems.

In my opinion it is as safe as any other payment system.

I just wish, I had thought of it before they did! :D

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with using pay pal.

but, I get a lot of those fake emails that look like they are coming from paypal and ask for account information, so be careful.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paypals rates for credit card processing are better than my regular processor. I tend to prefer it lately as payment type.
MT uses paypal for it's supporting member payments as getting a 'normal' card processor would be more expensive. If you accept payments, just be certain to withdraw the funds regularly (I do a full withdrawal twice a week). I also use it as my primary payment source online right now.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Paypals rates for credit card processing are better than my regular processor. I tend to prefer it lately as payment type.
MT uses paypal for it's supporting member payments as getting a 'normal' card processor would be more expensive. If you accept payments, just be certain to withdraw the funds regularly (I do a full withdrawal twice a week). I also use it as my primary payment source online right now.

I recently bought something at E-Bay and went to pay with paypal and the guy did not except it, I was shocked, and then had to inform him I would send a check in a few days when I paid bills. It is very easy to use, and I like it :)

OP
BlackCatBonz

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ok......i signed up for paypal because it seems like mostly positive feedback. my first purchase... MartialTalk Supporting Membership!

Latest Discussions