Is it okay to join Muay Thai even though i suffered an accident?

Riz1

White Belt
Reaction score
Well back in January i got into a car accident and had my face smashed up...I suffered a shattered nose and everything else just healed up...About a month later i went into surgery to correct my diviated septum which fixed my breathing after surgery and also straightened my nose back to normal...Way before i wanted to join a Muay Thai Dojo but never had the time...Also since the accident it has really slowed down and made me scared of getting surgery again...Do you guys think it's safe or do-able for me to join a Muay Thai dojo with knowing that there is contact? Just because i really don't want to get hit in the face....Just let me know guys because i'm on the ropes of joining or not....My heart says to join but my brain says no way...by the way i'm perfectly healthy now as far as after surgery...thanks

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The minute martial artists start listening to their brains all is lost.:) Seriously, though, if the doctor has given you a clean bill of health and you're all healed up from surgery (glad you came through the wreck alright, BTW) then there's no reason that you can't join up. I doubt that any good instructor will have you taking punches to the face on the first day of training. That doesn't usually come 'til at least the third class.:)
Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes if you join up.

early

White Belt
Reaction score
Being worried about getting hit in the face could work in your favour , it could make you develop a good tight boxing gaurd , and it will always be on your mind to keep your hands up .

Initially you will only be hitting bags and pads so I wouldn't worry about being hit back .

If you don't try , you will never know .

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Get on with giving it a go - no one knows what the future holds so just get on with it. Most clubs I have trained at, when it comes to sparring at least, will be receptive to you informing them about what particular injuries you may be carrying so your training partners (unless they're crazy or sicko!) know what not to focus heavy attacks on.

Over a decade ago I was in a terrible car smash (so glad to hear you came through fine!!) and got my jaw busted up bad (after having braces for a couple of years to set my teeth!!) so when I used to compete in TKD after making a full recovery I was very wary at first on coming back and paranoid about my teeth etc getting busted up and more time, pain and $$$. However, once you're fully healed your bones should fuse as strong (or sometimes even stronger than before!) so your mind gets over the worry real quick.

Anyway like Early said, if you're just starting off your initial training may not involve sparring or contact work and you can take it as it comes and make a decision - give it a go, a life without martial arts sounds a lot worse!!!!:)

Latest Discussions