Is Height A factor in Martial Arts

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I am about 6'4 and half and I know when we spar it is good cause I have reach on most people. But I am wondering is Height a factor in Martial Arts? Like is being tall good in judo and other arts or is it not.

Lets hear what you got to say people

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched a gentelman who was 7 foot tall spar a little while ago He had an advantage against most of whom faced him because they had never seen anyone that large befor and had no idea how to spar /score on him

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Now I am about 6'4 and half and I know when we spar it is good cause I have reach on most people. But I am wondering is Height a factor in Martial Arts? Like is being tall good in judo and other arts or is it not.

Lets hear what you got to say people

Height is always a factor for fighting, but like strength, it is never a determining factor. It doesn't matter whether your Tall or short, it matters how you use your height (or lack of) to your advantage.

Now if you are talking about tournament sparring where you can't grapple, your trapping range is rendered inaffective because the judges are looking for a clean shot, and you can't hit below the waist (no groin or sweeps) then a taller person will definatily have the advantage. It doesn't mean they'll win, but they do have that reach advantage.

E

Elfan

Attachments

• $game_of_death2.jpg
    $game_of_death2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 154
OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Being tall gives one a definite advantage if you're a Taekwondo practitioner. In TKD long legs do come in handy
Yea well the art I study is mainly tsd so I do kick alot and my long legs are a great tool for me

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?"

~Yoda~

:jedi1:

(hmm I thought there was a yoda emoticon but guess not...there should be...:D )

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
But not the overriding factor. If you train properly it can be used to a distinct advantage, but by no means do you want to rely on it as your only advantage.

Being 6-2 with long arms and legs, I usually have a signiicant reach advantage over most of my sparring opponents. But I remember what one of my first instructors told me: "Learn to fight like a short guy and you'll surprise the snot out of people!" Don't know that I've mastered that, but I'm still working on it after all these years. :D

Respects,
Bill Parsons

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Size does not matter if your challenger can take your balance. It become a disadvantage if you do not know how to fight in and close

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I'm about a foot and a half too short for my build. Most of my male students are taller than me. Half of my female students are as tall or taller than me. What that means is that as an instructor, I can teach the shorter people how to nullify a reach advantage and teach the taller people to not rely on their reach but to use it as an enhancement. Like the picture of Mr. Lee demonstrates, flexibility, distance and timing are key. At 5'8" I have no problem kicking 6' plus people in the head. Just the other day, Tess met my child hood sparring partner, 6'5". By the time we were 14 he was 6'3", I was 5'4".

Latest Discussions