Is He Ready To Attack?

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is interesting

I received an email from submissions 101 talking about signs that a person is ready to attack. It was written by a police officer and RBSD instructor Darren Lauer.

*assault not imminent but possible*

• Head, neck and shoulders go back (person making themself bigger)
  • Face is red, twitching and jerking
  • Lips pushed forward, baring teeth (like in dog attacks)
  • Breathing is fast and shallow (oxygenating the body, preparing for fight or flight, hyper-vigilance0
  • Beads of sweat appearing on face and neck
  • thousand mile glare
  • exaggerated movements
  • finger pointing/head pecking
  • Totally ignores you
  • Gives you excessive attention during normal conversation, such as direct, uninterrupted eye contact
  • Goes From totally un-cooperative to cooperative (people do not go from hot to cold, they de-escalate over time)
  • drunk or high
  • Direct anger towards other inanimate items such as tables chairs and walls

*Assault Is Imminent*

• Face goes from red to white (blood will leave the surface of the body tand pool to the big muscles and internal organs of the body needed for survival)
  • Lips tighten over teeth
  • breathing is fast and deep
  • Change of stance , their body blades and shoulders drop
  • hands closed into a fist
  • Bobing up and down or back and forth (trying to hide the movement of the initial attack
  • Target glance (looking to see where he is going to hit, or where to run)
  • Putting head and shin down (body want to protect airway)
  • Stops all movements and freezes in place
  • Dropping center or lowering body (like an animal going to pounce)
  • Shedding of clothing
  • One syllable replies (go from full sentences to one syllable replies - reptilian brain is clicking in)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is interesting

I received an email from submissions 101 talking about signs that a person is ready to attack. It was written by a police officer and RBSD instructor Darren Lauer.

*assault not imminent but possible*

• Head, neck and shoulders go back (person making themself bigger)
  • Face is red, twitching and jerking
  • Lips pushed forward, baring teeth (like in dog attacks)
  • Breathing is fast and shallow (oxygenating the body, preparing for fight or flight, hyper-vigilance0
  • Beads of sweat appearing on face and neck
  • thousand mile glare
  • exaggerated movements
  • finger pointing/head pecking
  • Totally ignores you
  • Gives you excessive attention during normal conversation, such as direct, uninterrupted eye contact
  • Goes From totally un-cooperative to cooperative (people do not go from hot to cold, they de-escalate over time)
  • drunk or high
  • Direct anger towards other inanimate items such as tables chairs and walls

*Assault Is Imminent*

• Face goes from red to white (blood will leave the surface of the body tand pool to the big muscles and internal organs of the body needed for survival)
  • Lips tighten over teeth
  • breathing is fast and deep
  • Change of stance , their body blades and shoulders drop
  • hands closed into a fist
  • Bobing up and down or back and forth (trying to hide the movement of the initial attack
  • Target glance (looking to see where he is going to hit, or where to run)
  • Putting head and shin down (body want to protect airway)
  • Stops all movements and freezes in place
  • Dropping center or lowering body (like an animal going to pounce)
  • Shedding of clothing
  • One syllable replies (go from full sentences to one syllable replies - reptilian brain is clicking in)
You forgot clapping. Many times people are in the habit of clapping their hands together, just once, before undertaking a battle plan. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many of the above signs would be normal for the average person getting ready to attack but are they the bodily responses that a person that gets into many fights exhibit?

OP
Pwen Arye

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You forgot clapping. Many times people are in the habit of clapping their hands together, just once, before undertaking a battle plan. :)

Lol alot of women tend to do that when in a confrontation, along with asking a friend to hold their purse or taking off their ear rings.

OP
Pwen Arye

Pwen Arye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many of the above signs would be normal for the average person getting ready to attack but are they the bodily responses that a person that gets into many fights exhibit?

I kinda think that to some degree experienced street brawlers do some of the things above on a subconcious level. Personally when a person acts aggressive I don't conciously look for those things, it's just my spidey sense starts tingling and just feeling the negative vibe is enough for me to immediately remove myself from the situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lol alot of women tend to do that when in a confrontation, along with asking a friend to hold their purse or taking off their ear rings.
Speaking of women, a man may run up to you with a gun and pull the trigger, but if you see a woman holding a gun on you and walking backwards, you gonna die. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm I usually know an attack is coming when I see a fist coming toward my face in a hurry

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion the original list may be derived from something written by Rory Miller. I've seen a similar breakdown in some of his writing, with very similar phrasing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion the original list may be derived from something written by Rory Miller. I've seen a similar breakdown in some of his writing, with very similar phrasing.

There are several similar lists around, from different sources.

The "signals" are largely signs of adrenal arousal. Several of the first list are also signs of a Monkey Dance, with it's particular blend of hormonal arousal. The second list is largely external indicators of massive adrenal arousal.

As to whether experienced fighters do them... Yes, and no. They're often better camouflaged, but still present. Most dangerous is the guy who you see go into adrenal arousal, then settle down. That means he knows how to ride it and use it... and that means he's serious trouble.

I do disagree with the comment about deescalating too quickly. Especially if it's still in the Monkey Dance -- it can be a signal that the subject is about to blow and trying to lull you, or it can be a sign that they just recognized that they're facing a MUCH bigger Monkey and they aren't going to win. Look for it to go beyond simple agreement to actual submission. They'll go from being "big, red, and loud" to small, quiet, and the red'll fade back to normal. And the change can be quick; seconds.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm I usually know an attack is coming when I see a fist coming toward my face in a hurry

Then open your eyes sooner, and see the situation develop before the punch flies...

(And I know you know this...)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then open your eyes sooner, and see the situation develop before the punch flies...

(And I know you know this...)
Naa it was a joke since in my opinion that list means nothing. I've seen all the signs and no attack and no signs and an attack. Depending on level and type of intoxication or mental state.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's the weird part I could hardly understand, there's so many effective striking places some even more effective than the face but none the less that's the place frequently attacked first

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And honestly all kind of a non event.

Basically when the guy is frothing spitting hate at you he might be about to attack you.

Well thanks Capitan obvious.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naa it was a joke since in my opinion that list means nothing. I've seen all the signs and no attack and no signs and an attack. Depending on level and type of intoxication or mental state.
True!!! Rather than looking for clues, we could just make a simple effort to stay out of peoples kill zones, just as a courtesy to ourselves. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a great video by one of our members Tgace regarding subconscious signals that people send before initiating violence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a LEO, I did arrest people in loss prevention over a three year period. With over a 1000 arrests I did see some things that seemed true.
Drunks where far and away the worst for fights. It got so we led with our nose, if I smelled alcohol, I gave a bit more distance. Drunks almost always thought they where being sneaky. Key words there, "they thought".

I had a few occasions that when I stopped a person you could really see them go thru the fight/flight feelings. I just kind of washed over their face.
A lot depends on the situation the potential confrontation was taking place in. Most the time my fights where more trying to just get away. Only the drunks wanted a stand up brawl.

I try to follow a different path and deesclate as much as possible. The only way my training can hurt you is if you get within arms reach. Until then you and I are perfectly safe.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions