is anyone else here studying sho shou?

patrick22

White Belt
Reaction score
if anyone else here studys sho shou let me know so i dont feel like an outsider lol :(.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sho shou, too be honest with you, ive never heard of it, I just looked it up on google and it took me to a buddism site...What sort of martial art is it? Is it like judo, tae kwon do, tai jutsu etc?

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It is written "shou shu", I think and by the looks of this page it is very economically successful!

http://www.mooresmartialarts.com/schools/schools.htm

I spent a few minutes googling it and the grandmaster of the system received a black belt in Kenpo, through either the Tracy system or Parker, and knew those men himself in the 60's time period.

Then, according to one source he got together with a Mr. Richard Lee who was forming something called Bok Fu Do and so apparently Shou Shu is a system that combines Parker and Tracy Kenpo with this Bok Fu Do which stands for White Tiger Kenpo.

Years ago (and I do mean years) some people brought Shou Shu to the Phoenix area, where I live. I never joined, however I spoke with the teachers and a few of their students and found them to be good people.
Phoenix is a tough martial arts market, there are plenty of TKD and karate schools that pick kids up at school and and take them for classes and so forth. Chinese styles are not well represented here. Perhaps it is the demographics. Also, a large percentage of the population looks forward to evacuating when it hits 115 degrees in the shade. So Shou Shu never really caught on. It certainly looked good.

I hope you have great experiences in training Shou Shu. There are many people on this site who know ALOT about the 50's and 60's Kenpo history and could provide much better historical commentary on kenpo and its offshoots than I can.

But the important thing is that if you find it meeting your needs, and the discipline of training is adding to your life. enjoy the journey.

OP
P

patrick22

White Belt
Reaction score
ya lol sry on the darn spelling im terrible at working with computers ...but ya its an awsome sport u guys should check it out more its really fun and intense training. but i wonder i was thinking if someone took this style and meshed it with another fierce style i wonder what someone could come up with.But to say the least its already a style derived from atleast 2 or 3 styles already...but hey do we have like yearly meets on here? caus i would love to come to a seminar or camp or something with a few of my shifus or {masters} and show you guys some of the fundimentals of the whole aspect of this martial art.:)

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about meetings of Martial Talk participants. I think it happens occasionally, someone else will have to answer that question.

Good grief there are enough schools throughout California that you could have major meetings and seminars among the schools. Do you?

As long as we are on the subject, what do you think is the reason for this California popularity? What makes this system a business success?

Also, I seem to remember (I think) teachers saying that any form of the system could be done slowly, like Tai Chi. Do they say that or am I just dreaming things up?

OP
P

patrick22

White Belt
Reaction score
ive heard of schools meeting with other related schools but ive never herd of a massive gathering of the martial arts no.

Latest Discussions