Iron shirt Qi Gong

Primal Kuen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What PRACTICAL effects can one achieve through this practice as it relates to fighting ?

Rattan_Bridge108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sudden power, higher resistance to internal injury(shaking of the insides) vital target strikes, ability to protect body at a faster pace. When you can control your air and muscles, you can protect throat, temples, back of neck etc... Sorry for the incomplete sentences.

But there are garbage chi gong instructors out there. I went to a golden bell seminar and it was terrible. No martial application and the breath control was weak. They made it look so new age. They had me punch one of their better guys. Please note I don't consider myself powerful yet, well at least compared to my Sifu. All I did was a rooted relaxed swing(no power) and the guy's air got knocked out. The second time he flew back and the third time he just jumped out of the way. Then they were showing floor tile breaking with their heads. I asked why they keep their mouths open and not closed with the tongue up on the pallet they explained to me how bones are an excellent conduit for chi. I'm not an internal expert but that sounds fishy. $150+ a month!

OP
Primal Kuen

Primal Kuen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds a bit off.
I was just looking around in the book store and came across a book on it. The book was pretty in depth...looked like alot to commit one's self to and was just wondering if anyone could explain a bit on it.

thanks for the input.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was at a seminar this last weekend (www.budocamponline.com) and one of the teachers there does Iron Shirt and Iron Palm.

What is the benefit of Iron Shirt? I can tell you, from what he showed us... he just doesn't care if you hit him. It doesn't hurt him. And he says his teacher is even better at it than he is.

Most of the sessions were about Kyusho (pressure points) striking or pressing, mostly. His session was like the anti-Kyusho - techniques to resist the kyusho techniques. So, you know, there were a number of attendees who had an interest in "contradicting" him as it were... and still, his Iron Shirt stuff worked.

And he showed us some breathing and mental focus methods to use to resist PP work that we cold implement without the Iron Shirt discipline he had developed over 20 years (or, is it more accurate to say, they are the first baby steps in the Iron Shirt training?)

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
see my post below with the link to seminar.

be well, train hard

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach Iron Vest as well as Iron Palm in Massachusetts. I was invited to present both training methods at the Annual Zhang Sang Feng Festival this past June.

Im going to be having a weekend seminar in both November 16th-18th in Sussex, New Jersey. Fore more info on that seminar you can visit this link:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=858855#post858855

There are external methods of Iron Vest as well as internal. I teach the internal method.

The time put in is not that much when you look at what you can get out of it. Your health will be improved to the point you will not get sick much, add this to the fascia of the body will thicken over time due to the twisting nature of many of the exercises in the set.

When coupled with the amount of standing meditation you do to learn to channel incoming force through the body into the ground this creates a rather unique ability to deal with abuse.

It does not make you superman by any means but like the person mentioned in the above posts you will not be bothered by anyone who does not have iron palm training.

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Green Dragon Studios (Gene Chicoine and John Allen) used to offer a video on Iron Vest. Was that the internal method or the external?

Also, there are some people e.g. Mantak Chia that say you can develop Iron Vest by hanging weights from the testicles! Is that true? If so, is that an external method?