Iron Age Ving Tsun!

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so, as you can guess my title is a bit misleading :D

However, I just had my perceptions challenged, and wished to share! On the surface, one might not think that viking and iron age sword and shield combat would bare any resemblance at all to Wing Chun, but after watching a lecture reconstructing what it might have been like, I was really surprised to find so many similarities in concept and principle.

You may have to watch the whole thing to get my overall impression, but if you have thirty minutes to spare, take a look and see what you think:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alright, so, as you can guess my title is a bit misleading :D

However, I just had my perceptions challenged, and wished to share! On the surface, one might not think that viking and iron age sword and shield combat would bare any resemblance at all to Wing Chun, but after watching a lecture reconstructing what it might have been like, I was really surprised to find so many similarities in concept and principle.

You may have to watch the whole thing to get my overall impression, but if you have thirty minutes to spare, take a look and see what you think:

Haven't had the time to watch them properly yet, but as a sword guy (wutang forever) I can see that WC was likely born out of weapons. My own Sifu has even told me in the past that the ideas in Chi Sao came from the nature of the swords, and that gate theory came from the pole (not sure if he meant long or short pole). I'm no expert in either, but it seems reasonable as most systems were weapon first in their development.