Ireland wants to 'stamp out' practical shooting... it's bad bad bad!!!

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How lame. Good people don't train to defend themselves or their loved ones or their country. The powers-to-be decide out of ignorance and fear.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0619/1224249120046.html

Mr Ahern said he was determined to stamp out a practice known as “practical shooting”. His department had monitored with concern “competitions in which people shoot their way through multi-stage target courses based on real life combat scenarios, such as a home invasion or a hostage rescue”.

Deaf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Eire btw not 'Ireland' as such. Nothing to do with the UK Just thought I'd let you know lol!

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Even so, what the heck does he think he`s saving the country from? Most of the "Practical Firearms" competitors I`ve ever met are current or former Military and LEOs. Sounds like another reactionary jackass to me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even so, what the heck does he think he`s saving the country from? Most of the "Practical Firearms" competitors I`ve ever met are current or former Military and LEOs. Sounds like another reactionary jackass to me.

Perhaps but then you don't have the IRA and other paramilitary organisations practising as well. I suspect thats the unspoken part of the legislation.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Perhaps but then you don't have the IRA and other paramilitary organisations practising as well. I suspect thats the unspoken part of the legislation.

There are 'militas' in the west part of America. Hope you remember Oklahoma and what happend in Oklahoma City in 1995. And of course we did have a Civil War here, and we did have Prohibition and we do have gangs.

I would think the government would want responsible people to be armed and capable of being of use to protect their country from such as the IRA. But no, I guess the governemt there considers each and every 'subject' to be instead a 'suspect'.

Deaf

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think the government would want responsible people to be armed and capable of being of use to protect their country from such as the IRA. But no, I guess the governemt there considers each and every 'subject' to be instead a 'suspect'.

Deaf

You know better than that...
Governments (anywhere) don't want people armed...it's easier to make someone do what you want them to do if they can't resist. Ours isn't any better if you hadn't noticed...they just haven't made as much "progress" as some of the more "civilized" nations out there.[/sarcasm]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 'militas' in the west part of America. Hope you remember Oklahoma and what happend in Oklahoma City in 1995. And of course we did have a Civil War here, and we did have Prohibition and we do have gangs.

Deaf

I have no idea what the Irish government thinks about it's people tbh. Not my government or country, you'll have to ask the Irish I'm afraid.
I don't think you know much about Irish history though.
Also not everyone shares your thoughts about guns and arming the people, in democracies such as Ireland they are allowed to think what they want. I'm sure if they think this is a good idea they'll allow it, if they don't they won't. Simple really, your opinion that governments are out to get people doesn't count.

Latest Discussions