Iranian Judo Contreversy

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040907/od_uk_nm/oukoe_olympics_iran_judo_2

wanted to put this in the study...but it was still martial arts related...

basically...the short version, if you haven't heard...is that an iranian judoka "withdrew" from the olympics when he would have been forced to compete against an israeli...the official word was that he was "overweight"....

but then you see stuff like this and it makes wonder....

whatever happened to the discipline, respect and humility martial arts are supposed to teach us...

P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040907/od_uk_nm/oukoe_olympics_iran_judo_2

wanted to put this in the study...but it was still martial arts related...

basically...the short version, if you haven't heard...is that an iranian judoka "withdrew" from the olympics when he would have been forced to compete against an israeli...the official word was that he was "overweight"....

but then you see stuff like this and it makes wonder....

whatever happened to the discipline, respect and humility martial arts are supposed to teach us...
One of the reasons you should think twice before introducing a martial art into a politically dominated sports forum like the Olympics.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this has nothing to do with the olympics the iranian most likely would have refused to compete against an israeli no matter the forum...the olympics just make it higher profile

P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
this has nothing to do with the olympics the iranian most likely would have refused to compete against an israeli no matter the forum...the olympics just make it higher profile
I'm sorry Richard, I thought you were writing about a 'Controversy'.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it is...a person refused to compete and then was rewarded because he "obviously" would have won if he didn't...the point is that the "reason" given was that he was overweight...but i think it's obvious that he refused on political grounds...iran has refused to acknowledge israel's existence in every form...not just the olympic judo competitions

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also, i would like to know why you keep referring to me as richard?

D

Disco

As strange as this may sound, I applaud the conduct of the fighter from Iran. Now to explain........ The olympic officals were aware of the political overtones involved and at first, stipulated that the fighters from Iran and Israel would not meet. They caused the problem. The fighter from Iran showed true discipline (however warped we may think), by following his convictions and not selling out for a medal. It's hard for us here in the U.S. to understand such thinking, but over there, that's how people are raised in that political mindset. I don't concur with or endorse that mentality, but I do understand the discipline it took. Now the American mindset would have been, "I'll just whip his butt and that will show them how much better we are"...... :partyon:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disco said:
As strange as this may sound, I applaud the conduct of the fighter from Iran. Now to explain........ The olympic officals were aware of the political overtones involved and at first, stipulated that the fighters from Iran and Israel would not meet. They caused the problem. The fighter from Iran showed true discipline (however warped we may think), by following his convictions and not selling out for a medal. It's hard for us here in the U.S. to understand such thinking, but over there, that's how people are raised in that political mindset. I don't concur with or endorse that mentality, but I do understand the discipline it took. Now the American mindset would have been, "I'll just whip his butt and that will show them how much better we are"...... :partyon:
interesting perspective

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
I like "Contreversy".
why do you always refuse to answer straight questions...first about your judo training...and now why you continue refer to me as richard

S

sifu nick

I don't think I can agree with what the Iranian did. Your there to compete and represent your country. You're not there to be political. Even if Olympic officials seperated them into different brackets, what would happen in the medal round if it came to that?

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Famous martial artist at the Olympics: Sure i will compete but only if I can choose my opponents.How would it be if all the athletes decided they would not compete against "A" country or "B" state.You go to compete and if it is a world event the chances are there will be athjetes you would rather not compete against for whatever reason.

Didnt the Americans pull the whole team at one olympics as they didnt want to compete against some country or other?

David

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Taimishu said:
Didnt the Americans pull the whole team at one olympics as they didnt want to compete against some country or other?

David
That was actually because the Olympics were held in Moscow, and we had political sanctions against the old USSR, because they invaded Afghanistan.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The point is..Iran has refused to recognise Isreal's right to exist since its inception, just like every other autocratic society that surrounds Isreal today.

It just shows the bigotry and hatred that is prevalent in the region. Oh, and by the way,Iran is now claiming that they "beat" the U.S. with their 13 medals to our 103. The reason is that the ratio of U.S. athletes competing to Iranian athletes was vastly superior....so...:whip:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
also, i would like to know why you keep referring to me as richard?

Nick,

You last quote in your signature is from Richard Chun, it does kind of look lik ie might be your name.

:asian:

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Disco said:

Interesting notion, but I don't quite buy it. I'm willing to bet the real reason he dropped out was because he knew he would be rewarded for it. To him, political convictions were probably secondary to to good old-fashioned greed. And yes, I realize that the money he was paid was the same as it would have been if he had won the gold, but dropping out made it certain that he would get paid, and made into a local celebrity.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
beau99 said:
That was actually because the Olympics were held in Moscow, and we had political sanctions against the old USSR, because they invaded Afghanistan.
Beau Thanks I thought I remembered something along those lines. Its good to have my memory refreshed.
I remember at the time cheering America on for refusing to go.

David

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By Zepp
"I realize that the money he was paid was the same as it would have been if he had won the gold, but dropping out made it certain that he would get paid, and made into a local celebrity."

And made sure he would'nt be beaten.

David

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Skerry
I like "Contreversy".

why do you always refuse to answer straight questions...first about your judo training...and now why you continue refer to me as richard
a) Patrick is a troll - or so infatuated with the idealized and perfect martial art of judo that everything else does not enter his conciousness

b) He misread your signature quote as you signing your name.

Latest Discussions