Ip Man 1 - Donnie Yen - Question

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I finally got to watch the entire movie (in Mandarin of course :D) and I was wondering

How historically accurate is the movie?

Well there really existed Ip Man :uhyeah:

Wikipedia said some things concerning how accurate it was cause you know the people who wrote it on Wiki were really there hahaha :boing2:

By the way the character Miura is played by Hiroyuki Ikeuchi
Who in the Drama GTO played Murai. So watching this movie I kept thinking oh man its murai haha.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well there really existed Ip Man :uhyeah:

Wikipedia said some things concerning how accurate it was cause you know the people who wrote it on Wiki were really there hahaha :boing2:

By the way the character Miura is played by Hiroyuki Ikeuchi
Who in the Drama GTO played Murai. So watching this movie I kept thinking oh man its murai haha.

I shall have to look at the Wiki stuff.

After watching the movie, which I did like actually, I began to wonder about the accuracy. I have not done any in depth study of Ip Man and pretty much all I know comes from his Son, Ip Chun's, books. But other than the Marco Polo Bridge Incident and the fact that Ip Man was in Fóshān I did not know any of with that movie showed. I knew nothing about him fighting the Japanese and I most certainly knew nothing about his being shot and I would think that would have been mentioned prior to this if it had actually happened.

The movie left me with the impression that Ip Man was supposed to be the Huo Yuanjia of Wing Chun. I know he was highly skilled and a great martial artist but I was not so sure of the movie depiction

Thanks

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the movie dramatized & added needed movie stuff to sell the movie.

But regardless, IMHO, it is a modern classic of KF movies. I put there with CTHD or Hero or the others that genre & ilk.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I just found out that Xing Yu who played "Crazy" Lin the martial artist athat ran the teahouse that was beaten to death by the Japanese is 32nd generation from Shaolin

From Wiki

Historical accuracy

Film's review detailed the departures from history: "The real Ip Man was never, despite the film's assertions to the contrary, forced from bourgeois idleness into work by the hardships of the Second Sino-Japanese War, nor was he ever employed as a coolie in a colliery – rather he chose of his own accord to work as a policeman (a profession lightly ridiculed within the film) before the Japanese invasion, and he continued in this line for several years after the war until Communist disapproval of his wealth and political affiliations drove him into voluntary exile in Hong Kong (an inconvenient truth that the film elides as tactfully as Ip Man mitigates the impact of his own victories). While, during the war, Ip Man did indeed refuse to teach his martial arts to the military police of the occupying Japanese – a decision which eventually forced him to flee Foshan – he certainly never had, let alone won, a duel with a Japanese general."
Ip Man's eldest son, Ip Chun, stated that while the film was well-received, there could have been areas of improvement: "For example, the film was obviously set in Foshan, yet it was not shot on location on the actual place. Neither was the mansion like the original

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting

Just look this up for teh heck of it

Ip Chun was born in 1924 and Ip Ching in 1936

soooooo... if the Japanese bits of the movie are 1937..... Ip Ching should have been 13 and Ip Chun 1... But Ip Ching was not in the movie and Ip Chun appeared to be about 5... Still a good movie though

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haven't seen that one yet. You say the WC is better? How about the plot and acting?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a copy of it if you want to have it.

Donnie Yen's Ip Man 2 I think was better than Ip Man 1 due to better fight scenes. I just hated the amount of wire work in it. It also didn't go too much into the history of Ip Man and the differences in the WC system that he learned from Leung Bik and Chan Wah Shun.

This movie is dramatically different from Donnie Yen's because it focuses on Ip Man as he is in college and the 2 different schools of WC. It deals also with the adaptation of it. More focus is on technique is the result. They go into detail about the use of elbows, knees, high kicks. You see how that caused problems with "authentic WC" that Chan Wah Shun taught. The storyline is ok and how much of it is accurate is open for debate. I say it is a must see for sure. Also you can't beat seeing Yuen Biao & Sammo go at it. And last but not least you see Ip Chun teaching and doing WC as well. The directors commentary while boring at times does give good insight from Ip Chun as to how his dad was and he says which scenes are things that is dad actually did in training.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aero

White Belt
Reaction score
All three were very good movies.

'The Legend Is Born: Ip Man' was stretched waaaaaaaay out of authenticity. Yiu Choi and Yuen Kay-San were his elder Sihings, not Sidais. As for Leung Bik training Yip Man, this has always been a speculation on part from the students that was training under Yip Man in Hong Kong to promote his school.

Though Yip Man did beat his Sihings in Foshan during his younger days, it was due to a couple of private lessons from Yuen Kay-San (not 'Leung Bik'), who trained in a different (some say, more undiluted) branch of Wing Chun. Though Yuen Kay-San and Yip Man were about 4-5 yrs apart in age, Yuen Kay-San's rank in Wing Chun was equal to that of Yip Man's master, Chan Wahsun.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
As was published in the World Journal Newspaper, Jul 11th-July17th 2010 edition there is an interview with Sifu Yip Ching, Grandmaster Yip Man's second son. In this interview Yip Chun confirms that his father, GM Yip Man, credited his advanced wing chun technique to a man named Leung Bik.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not much point in arguing over what, how much, or even whether or not GM Yip Man learned advanced concepts from Leung Bik. All the parties who would have been witnesses are long, long dead, and it really has no relevance to the art today... except as a way to promote particular lineages and possibly start a lot of unpleasant bickering. I prefer to take GM Yip at his word (as passed down in the written account given to his students) and not to worry too much about it. After all, WC/VT/WT continues to be relevant not because of its ancestry, but because of of it's efficacy.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to know of other people who were taught by Leung Bik (Leung Jan's son)

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All 3 ip man movies can be viewed on youtube in their entirety. They are all great movies and very entertaining. The 3rd film a legend is born is more accurate in its portrayal of wc due to the main actor playing ip being a student of ip chun. Other than that none of these movies are a biographical account of what really took place. But none the less they are great movies and it should be left at that. I mean how many different movies have we seen with wong fei hung as the main character and nothing in the movie relates to the actual figure. Once again all 3 are on youtube in their entirety, for those who have not seen them.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would like to add that I thought donnie yen made a better ip man than dennis to. I think that was his name. But dennis does look like a younger yen at times so its cool to see it that way. Makes it a little more believable even tho the story is off.

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Legend is Born confused me because I thought WC didn't have fancy high kicks and junk like that. I also laughed how Ip Chun said Dennis To was better because he started a fight in a WC stance and ended one in a WC stance... last time I checked you're not gonna be in any stance other than getting the heck out of the area after disabling your attacker.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I watch a movie I don't expect it to be accurate historically. They will always put drama into it. This film is loosely based on the life of Yip Man and what I know is that the Ip Man was never shot and he didn't fight 10 Japanese karateka that easy. But whether this is accurate or not I enjoyed the fight scenes, the pole sequence is superb and it was well acted and the characters are well portrayed.

Chat Noir

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I finally got to watch the entire movie (in Mandarin of course :D) and I was wondering

How historically accurate is the movie?

If you saw the film in Mandarin, you didn't have the best version - it was originally in Cantonese. The Mandarin version was horrible and not accurate with the subtitles. The Legend is Born wasn't close to the Wing Chun of Ip Man 1 and 2. Ironically, the lead really is a Wing Chun practitioner.....go figure; Donnie Yen with his Wushu background did much better at showing the true fighting style - thanks to Yip Man's sons and Sammo Hung. There were a few true moments in the Ip Man films but for the most part, it's about as historically accurate as The Dragon, the Bruce Lee Story. I always hated that film.....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
it is actually the same movie with 3 different sound tracks and I am not disputing the translation differences... but since I do not understand Cantonese for me to watch it in Cantonese would not make much sense