Introducing the 'Head Geek'

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I am Mr. Rorke, Your Host...Welcome to Fantasy Isla...."...err, ok, wrong show. :)

Seriously, to start things rolling I figured I would introduce myself so that those who don't know me can see a bit of the person behind the avatars. :)

I'm a self-employeed web designer/host with an interest in the martial arts. As part of my desire to learn more, back in 2001 I started a little local website called wnymartialarts.com which badly needed a chat area. A long search led to the creation of a little message board called amusingly enough, 'martial talk'. Jokingly refered to on another board as 'marital talk', we've grown a bit since then. :) I'm usually found as of late behind the scenes, working on the next batch of tweaks and goodies to continue to grow MT. I am also the editor and publisher of MartialTalk Magazine.

My primary training is in Modern Arnis, and I have some small experience with Kenpo, Japanese sword, and Wing Chun.

My eventual goal is to teach sword arts, and continue to build MT into the leading martial arts resource on the internet.

I'm also involved in sci-fi and anime fandom in the US, and have had some of my artwork on display at the Toronto Trek Conventions art show.

I've writen articles on a number of topics, a few of which have been published. I'm currently working on the 3rd of 4+ articles revolving around the war in the US of 1861-1865. (Civil War/2nd Revolution/etc)

Home page is at http://rustaz.com

:asian:

M

Mark Weiser

I would not put much weight to what the previous poster said. We put him together with used spare parts awhile back and became self aware soon afterwards. We let him think he runs the place. So play along okay.

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
de Plane, De Plane!
Bossth, bossth... what's your fantasy bossth?
"Tattoo, I would like to see you drive a brand new Chrysler Cordoba off the highest cliff on Fantasy Island."
Oooh, I don't like that fantasy bossth.

(from an old MAD magazine spoof)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You all need to know that the picture on the Kaith's avatar is not really him. If you click his name, you'll see his user profile. That picture is him. Ask him about the time he missed the sheath and slid the flaming sword into his pants.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I used to be "Hot Stuff"..... :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a B5 fan. Plus, my current SIG quote is by Londo, and I often feel I can relate to him. :)

Past Avatars:
censored.jpg
gamelife.jpg
iraqiavatar.jpg

jackavatar.jpg
jolly_roger_a1a.gif
nefavatar.gif
paintball2.jpg
tatu.jpg

Of course, theres a few that have me in them:
darthbob.jpg
(That is me under the hood)
rmhsb.jpg
"Silent Bob" Its a handle I use elsewhere, and I did do the Kevin Smith / Silent Bob bit 1 year at a con.

cavbob.jpg
Also: http://www.rustaz.com/sigimages/flamebob2.gif and http://www.rustaz.com/sigimages/flaminbob.gif

And, the one that got me some strange looks, comments and emails:
lum_avatar.jpg

Why so many? Because I get bored, my mood changes, I'm working on a new project and it's sorta related. :) On a few occations, it was to annoy folks on another board. (The censorship, Iraqi IM, and Tatu avatars were used elsewhere)

R

Ronald R. Harbers

Thanks for the post! Has anyone told you that you look like "Aragorn" under the hood!:drinkbeer

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My GF. She's into the 'scruffy guys' thing.
(Aragorn, Maximus, etc)

:)

U

unterlich

hahahaha
yo Mr Admin, I prefer the TATU girls than Mr Londo Molari heheeh

j/k :p

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jason and I love this site!!! I was just doing some google seaching when I stubled across this site and I had to join!!! I have toyed around a bit with Karate, Kenpo, and Shootfighting. I think I have finally found the one that clicks with me in To-Shin Do. I see a lot of bad comments about it in here, but I really have found a lot of enjoyment in it. I am doing the "long distance" thing. Anyway, thanks for making such an awesome site!!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All hail Kaith! All hail Kaith!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a friendly heads up.

Kaith is me, me is Kaith.

For a number of reasons, I'm splitting off a non-staff account for my personal use, and so I can test several new features. Also, to try and lessen the "Kaith said it, so it's official policy" problem thats hit in the past.

All other geekyness is of course, still in effect. :D

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:uhyeah:
I think we all have a slighty geekyness to us otherwise we probably wouldn't be here. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got asked a great question, and figured I'd expand a bit on the reasons for the seperate accounts.

(3) Just out of curiousity, why sometimes BOB and sometimes KAITH? if you don't mind my asking
Bob is me, Kaith is me. I've used Kaith so long, it's me. (Heck, some folks only know me by that name, and I've known them for a decade. :) )

But Why?

I am trying to separate "Kaith the Admin" from "Bob the person".
Too often I will say something, and it is seen as an official statement, be it a comment, a nudge, a warning, etc. Certain political, religious or personal opinion statements have been seen as being "MT position" when in fact, they were my own.

So, this is partially an attempt to separate "Bob Hubbard, person" from "Kaith Rustaz/Bob Hubbard, Owner of MartialTalk". It's also to lessen the "Kaith said it, so it's official". Bob Hubbard is a MT Member. Kaith is an Admin. Bob Hubbard is just another MT Supporting Member. This account has no admin powers, can't moderate beans. :)

I am also in the gradual process of stepping back from day-to-day moderating of MartialTalk. In fact, right now, I am running the technical side of the site, while Mike Seigel (SEIG) is running the Operations side. Mike is in charge of the staff, and enforcing policy. I make sure the hamster is on the wheel so teh site keeps spinning, and researching new goodies to keep expanding things.

We have an excellent staff here. MT is large enough that I can't do everything like I did way back when we started, and when I log in as Kaith I see all the 'todos' for the staff, and tend to "try to do it all myself", which is pointless when I have a qualified staff. :) So, the short version is "So I can get out of my staffs way." :)

This is also for technical reasons.
It's hard for me to test a new feature as an admin, because admins see all. Members, don't. In the past, I'd just create a temp account, test, the delete it. This way, I can test, and not worry as much.

Plus, if I ever get that big buy-out offer we site admins dream about....:D

M

Melissa426

OK, now I understand! :uhyeah: (I think)

BTW, personally, I think this website is very fair, unbiased, and professional. Plus, lots of good MA info!

Here's to you, and your staff !
:burp:

Peace,
Melissa