Internal styles too complex 4 beginners?

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This started from a different thread

Do you feel the internal arts may be too complex for raw beginners in martial arts? THat a person with a prior background in something else would be able to benefit more, and pick up the martial concepts quicker although the body mechanics would have to be relearned?

H

Hammer Head

Well, it all depends on why you want to learn an internal art. It will benefit you either way, but if you have some previous knowledge of another martial art you will probably learn faster.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah... it's just fine for beginners. The only difference is where some motions outwardly may feel & appear the same, the emphasis & focus of the techniques will be different.

Somebody with previous experience won't have a problem picking up & discerning the two two trains of thought (internal vs. external) but then again... a newbie just doing internal won't have any bad habits or previous training to get past to accomplish the goals of the internal training.

Buddy

White Belt
Reaction score
"Somebody with previous experience won't have a problem picking up & discerning the two two trains of thought (internal vs. external) but then again..."

Sorry, this is wrong. The way the body moves (shenfa) is entirely different between internal and external. Depending on their previous style they may have considerable difficulty in "picking it up". In fact MOST external people I have taught must be convinced (usually by some obvious physical means, i.e. hitting them in a way they have previously not experienced) that there is a difference that they want to learn.
Cheers,
Buddy

V

vampyre_rat

brothershaw said:
This started from a different thread

Do you feel the internal arts may be too complex for raw beginners in martial arts? THat a person with a prior background in something else would be able to benefit more, and pick up the martial concepts quicker although the body mechanics would have to be relearned?
Some people could do with knowing how to punch and kick properly, so that they can then be moulded to the correct form. If you have absolutely no MA background and want to learn taiji primarily as a MA then you may need to learn how to punch properly so that you don't break your wrist the first time you have to do it.

It's definitely not too complex, but it might not be quick enough. It takes time to learn the priciples, time that some people are too impatient to take.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buddy said:
"Somebody with previous experience won't have a problem picking up & discerning the two two trains of thought (internal vs. external) but then again..."

Sorry, this is wrong. The way the body moves (shenfa) is entirely different between internal and external. Depending on their previous style they may have considerable difficulty in "picking it up". In fact MOST external people I have taught must be convinced (usually by some obvious physical means, i.e. hitting them in a way they have previously not experienced) that there is a difference that they want to learn.
Cheers,
Buddy
Sorry it's not wrong. It's different for different people. When I learned the Xingyi 5 Roads, it wasn't that difficult to pick up because of my external background. Because (in your terms) "MOST external people" may not cotton the idea, does not make it universal or the final truth.

Maybe I should've prefaced my comments with IMHO... so better late than never...:)

Buddy

White Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Sorry it's not wrong. It's different for different people. When I learned the Xingyi 5 Roads, it wasn't that difficult to pick up because of my external background. Because (in your terms) "MOST external people" may not cotton the idea, does not make it universal or the final truth.

Maybe I should've prefaced my comments with IMHO... so better late than never...:)
Sean,
I don't mean to be insulting but learning the movements of the wuxing (I think this is what you mean by 5 roads, I've never heard that term before) is simple. But learning how to use the body method required is quite tricky. Unless one is exposed to this, xingyi is just like any other external style. It isn't the movements that make IMA internal it's the body method.
Buddy

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your right, the body movements are important, but what we are discussing is whether or not those body methods are too difficult for a beginner to learn. Personally I dont see how it could be. You begin slowly, learning the basics. You learn how to breathe, then relaxing techniques, then you learn to move, balance, etc. Those are extreme basics in taiji. Some may say, oh well you can get those in another system and then come to taiji, to them I ask why? Why spend the time in another system learning what you are learning anyway in taiji? If learning taiji is your goal, whats the point in learning somethingelse, stay with taiji. If I want to be a heart surgeon I dont start practicing on dentistry, I go straight to learning about the heart. Sure I have to pick up some basics in either situation, but wouldn't I rather pick up basics that are geared towards heart surgeons? OK, bad example, but its the same with taiji or any internal system, what is the point in learning something else and waisting all that time you could have been learning your system?

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buddy... Wu Xing / 5 Roads... same thing. I used that reference for the peeps that maybe don't pracitice or study CMA/IMA.

I'm talking about pure physical motion. If you look back at the initial post where brothershaw said:

pick up the martial concepts quicker although the body mechanics would have to be relearned?
That's where my comments came in. I was never talking body mechanics. That's why my comments were worded that way. Outwardly a gung bo in external MA is the same as a gugn bo in internal MA. How you get there is different. That also led into my comment about a newbie not having any bad habits to break. They learn just one way & that's all the know.

As to my practice of Xingyi Quan Wu Xing... I've pretty much abandoned everything Northern in favor of Southern CMA. Easier on the body but with the directness of Xingyi.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
If learning taiji is your goal, whats the point in learning somethingelse, stay with taiji.

Well, I wanted to learn tai chi, but the teacher I was taking classes with taught kung fu first so I went along with it. I suppose I could have refused or taken classes elsewhere, but I felt that he would teach tai chi well. I wanted to have some exposure to the martial applications of it and didn't think I'd get them with other classes I was aware of at the time. I also didn't think it would hurt to have some other training. We were told that the style we were doing was typically the first one students in ancient China learned because it gives you a strong foundation to work from if you move into other styles later. That seemed to be a good enough reason to me to go along with it and get some practice in the style.

Anyway, being the beginner that I am, I'm not sure I can really answer the question that well. Both sides seem to have good points. Learning an external art will probably give you more practice in punching and kicking techniques and how to do them properly. Having some basics like this could help. But if the body movement is so much different in internal arts, you have the potential for carrying the external movements into the internal movements, resulting in a bad habit that has to be broken when learning the internal art. Someone who comes in without any prior experience won't have that problem.

I don't have much experience, but I suspect the main difficulty for a beginner doing an internal art first is dealing with the internal aspects, chi flow and trying to generate energy without pure, hard, physical force. Some of that will probably be delayed a bit until you get down other basics, like the movement (being rooted and balanced in tai chi as the weight shifts from one foot to the other, for example), but they're still more subtle concepts. You can't exactly show someone how to do these sorts of things, just explain as best you can and hope they can get it, so they're probably harder to grasp. A good teacher can probably do more than I realize, but still. An external art which is mainly hard, direct force is probably a little easier to understand the main concepts of. I don't think this necessarily means that an external practicioner will pick up the internal aspects faster than a total newbie though. So I'm not sure if there's a real advantage to either way, starting an internal style as a total newbie or coming into it after having some experience in external arts. Every art should be able to stand on its own and teach you all you need to know, even if it's in different routes and methods, so like 7starmantis said, if you want to learn tai chi, why not just start with it and stick with it?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think learning at the same time, or first, from an instructor who is knowledgable about the internal martial arts will complement the external training, or make it better.

So many beginners (myself included) flail around, using up their energy unwisely.

I don't think internal styles are too complex for beginners. I think people who have trained in "external" styles may appreciate them more, once they get past the "you're not doing anything!" group of people.
I think more beginners should take internal styles.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion this all comes down to the quality of instruction you can find or are receiving. If an internal system such as taiji is too difficult or doesn't teach basics like punching and kicking, I would venture to say the instruction isn't the quality you need. If you find good instruction with a teacher that is knowledgeable and has high skill, it shouldn't be a problem at all. The external versus internal argument is as old as CMA itself. In my experiences the advanced principles of the system I study seem to get closer and closer to internal principles, they are basically interconnected, so learning one might help the other, but also learning just one should be just as doable and easy.

7sm

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a fan of crosstraining myself, both internal + external or sometimes different branches of either simultaeneously, but I think for a new learner just begining a foray into internal practice, it's probably an idea to give a little time soley to that, then outside of class drill your forms. Once you're comfortable with that, no doubt I'd then go back and re-integrate my external. For my $0.02 c worth , as an internal teacher of several yrs to beginners, as far as the rest is concerned, I think clfsean and 7 * have done a good job and explained it well.

Blooming Lotus

Buddy

White Belt
Reaction score
BL, You have no business in this conversation. Just go away.

Sean is right here. What he calls gung bo (gongbu-bow and arrow stance) is a forward stance, weight on the front leg back leg more or less straight. My background before learning IMA was other Chinese styles. Going from Bow step to bow step is crucial. ANd frankly I've seen external guys who simply can't do it well. I learned it (over and freaking over again) in Hongchia (Hung Ga Fu Hok) and Changquan.
External skills must be learned and any system worth their salt must teach them. So...are the IMA for beginners? They should be. I only teach one day a week. Most of my students are folks with a lot of experience in other arts. Some of them stay and learn and some of them think they already have and go. The ones that stay seem to think its worth their while. I'm happy to discuss but I don't have any investment in it.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). This type of behavior will not be tolerated. Thank you.

-Adam C
-MT Moderator-

F

Fumanchu

Good question. Internal systems actually allow a persons natural body mechanics to respond better. It is far less jarring and hence healthy in the long run. Having said that, the coordination / atheletism of the higher level stuff is not easy. but then again it would be even more difficult for someone who does external kung fu to reach the same level of coodination in the same amount of time. As for self defence value, internal systems also do speed work, impact work and because the systems are not ridgid in their approach, they have better self defence value.

However, there are so called internal schools - by name only, which are little more than new age, relaxation parlors. They don't do practical self defence training and the movements they do aren't challenging - just slow. Those I'm excluding in the above comment.

p.s. thanks 7* for your input.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your welcome, and yes I agree with you as well. Internal systems are very much martial focused, but there are those schools and they exist in every system.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know, I think that all systems have, or at least had at one point, both external and internal parts to them. I think that some systmes may have lost much of their external or internal principles throughout the years from incomplete training and such. Internal without external training is pretty moot as is external without internal in my opinion.

7sm

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
7*,

Yes, I think you are right about external training being and essential part of the internal discpiplines. However, only to the extent of training flexibility or leg strength for instance. Muscular power, has no place in punching and kicking in the IMA's. The Taicheese people are only teaching half of the art when they teach only softness. Yin without Yang cannot exist.

Best wishes

Alistair Sutherland.

OP
B

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The internal styles should be taught with some martial content ( hitting things, combinations, defensive footwork, self defense applications).
An externalist( for the sake of arguement) can still get by and defend himself based solely on the external stuff . An internal school if not based in reality is setting its students up for a rude awakening.
Of course these are BROAD generalizations.

With the internal stuff there is just so much to study and practice.

Latest Discussions