Onternal martial arts cant think to fight witout conditioning shins
the nsenquence with a conditioned fighter can be serious damage

wish some of you agree

OP
K

KEY IN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i mean that often i see in chinese martial arts , specially on the internal m.a people teacher speaking of fighting skills but they ,never speak about conditioning training

how is possible to fight with a opponent that has shins or arms conditioned ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i mean that often i see in chinese martial arts , specially on the internal m.a people teacher speaking of fighting skills but they ,never speak about conditioning training

You don't need to turn your body into a weapon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Just because you don't see it does not mean it is not done

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Your average person on the street does not have conditioned shins or arms.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Theoretically if you are good enough at internal Martial Arts you don't need the conditioning that is required for external Martial Arts, as (from what I understand) it doesn't matter how strong your opponent is or how weak you are, if you offer no resistance and instead redirect your opponent's energy back at them, their strength is nullified.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Theoretically if you are good enough at internal Martial Arts you don't need the conditioning that is required for external Martial Arts, as (from what I understand) it doesn't matter how strong your opponent is or how weak you are, if you offer no resistance and instead redirect your opponent's energy back at them, their strength is nullified.

Your understanding is flawed and based on myth

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The term "Internal marital arts" is being thrown around..

to Midnight-shadow and KEY IN...

What exactly do you consider to be "Internal Marital Arts"?

OP
K

KEY IN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Zhan zhuang with intent practice is internal M.A
other is not internal m.a

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Zhan zhuang with intent practice is internal M.A
other is not internal m.a

That's nice, but that did not really answer my question,. but then it could be That I was not unclear

I was looking for specific names of styles. I have seen external guys standing in Zhan Zhuang. Plus there is not a whole lot of difference between standing in Ma Bu and standing in Zhan Zhuang. And to be honest Ma Bu could be classified as Zhan Zhuang

Neijia and Waijia do not train the same, but that does not mean Neijia does not do any conditioning.

Which brings me right back to; Just because you do not see it does not mean it is not there.

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Internal Martial Arts like Taijiquan focus on using the flow of energy to manipulate your opponent while offering little or no resistance to their strength (muscles can only contract against a resistant force - take away that resistance and no matter how strong they are, it doesn't matter). That is what I understand by it but I'm probably completely wrong as usual.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Internal Martial Arts like Taijiquan focus on using the flow of energy to manipulate your opponent while offering little or no resistance to their strength (muscles can only contract against a resistant force - take away that resistance and no matter how strong they are, it doesn't matter). That is what I understand by it but I'm probably completely wrong as usual.
Do you train taijiquan?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan are traditionally referred to as internal
Yiquan is also internal as is Liuhebafa

Taiji can use strength, usually to misdirect the other guy to make him do something that you can take advantage of. Taiji sticks, follows redirects and absorbs and it is trying to find the opponents center and the direction of their force so as to take advantage of it. But it also has kicking and punching, qinna and a bit of Shuaijiao too.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyiquan are traditionally referred to as internal
Yiquan is also internal as is Liuhebafa

Taiji can use strength, usually to misdirect the other guy to make him do something that you can take advantage of. Taiji sticks, follows redirects and absorbs and it is trying to find the opponents center and the direction of their force so as to take advantage of it. But it also has kicking and punching, qinna and a bit of Shuaijiao too.

So I wasn't too far wrong. To my mind there are 3 things you can do when someone throws an attack at you: Dodge it, block it and redirect it. If you intend to block the attack, you will require more body conditioning than if you plan on redirecting the attack. External styles (from what I understand) tend to block more, whereas Internal styles tend to redirect more. If this is the case then the external styles will require more body conditioning to be effective than the internal styles. Would that be a fair assessment?