Interesting Meditations on Self Defense

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading this, hope you do, too. I don't agree with all of the author's conclusions, and I'm hardly a liberal, but I like that he cares enough to involve himself in self defense and to come to the aid of people when the situation calls for it. Seems like a nice, thoughtful, person.

http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=2970

My History of Violence, by Alan Pogue

Click the link to read the story.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting read.

Very different reading about "liberal" self (and others) defense.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The author, Alan Pogue, is basicly a normal liberal that realized others might try to kill him (unlike Disneyland liberals that think everyone's a friend.) And note he grew up with guns and even used them in Vietnam.

In this case he was once left for dead (or in this case left robbed and bleeding.) He intends the next time to be the leaver instead of the left.

He will make a good student up to a point. Unfortunatly he still thinks in terms of just scaring the attacker (and that's why he's thinking of a .410 shotgun instead of a 12.)

His mistake is the .410, while making a loud noise and flash, it does not having much stopping power. Yet it can still blind the attacker. I'd perfer to just kill the bad guy and not blind him!

He has not learned that half measures rarely work. If you are going to shoot, use a serious weapon and aim true.

Deaf

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The author, Alan Pogue, is basicly a normal liberal that realized others might try to kill him (unlike Disneyland liberals that think everyone's a friend.) And note he grew up with guns and even used them in Vietnam.

In this case he was once left for dead (or in this case left robbed and bleeding.) He intends the next time to be the leaver instead of the left.

He will make a good student up to a point. Unfortunatly he still thinks in terms of just scaring the attacker (and that's why he's thinking of a .410 shotgun instead of a 12.)

His mistake is the .410, while making a loud noise and flash, it does not having much stopping power. Yet it can still blind the attacker. I'd perfer to just kill the bad guy and not blind him!

He has not learned that half measures rarely work. If you are going to shoot, use a serious weapon and aim true.

Deaf

I agree with your assessment completely. I also cringed when I read about his decision to use a .410 solution. Scatterguns have their place, but the indiscriminate within their scatter pattern. Put a few #6 shot into an innocent and it might not go well for you, even if you aimed for the bad guy. "Shoot to kill?" "No, officer, I shot to stop, and I followed my training and aimed center mass."

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i like the idea of shooting someone just to scare them. i alse have a knife with a rubber tip on it so that i can just sort of poke someone out the door without cutting them.

jf

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not just carry around a scary mask. I mean like a really, really scary one. Like the wolfman or something. That way when you get attacked you can just whip out your scary mask, put it on real quick, and the bad guy will run away!

Yay! Effective self defense! And no one has to get hurt!

-Rob

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not just carry around a scary mask. I mean like a really, really scary one. Like the wolfman or something. That way when you get attacked you can just whip out your scary mask, put it on real quick, and the bad guy will run away!

Yay! Effective self defense! And no one has to get hurt!

-Rob

Yeah, I'm hip. Some people think that a deadly weapon has value as a magic wand. You take it out, wave it around, and things get better.

I suspect these people have thought about what they would do if someone pulled a weapon on them - but not that many people are not like them and will not react the same way.

solger

White Belt
Reaction score
Browse Warrior Walking: A Guide to Walking as Exercise, Meditation, and Self-
Defense... reviews and ratings at MSN Shopping or submit your own rating and.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many leftists are basically idealists.......and find reality very painful. They many times prefer denial to reality. Alan Pogue appears to have been beaten in to reality.

Of course, as the saying goes, the world is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel......I prefer to laugh!

Latest Discussions