Insurance for seminars?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to put together a little seminar at her school We are running into a problem with the insurance though. The company that covers the gymnastics school we operate out of so far is being insistent that everyone who participates have the regular one year coverage. The cost of that, which is $35 (very good rate for a whole year I think) would make the seminar prohibitively expensive. Any of you who have run seminars before have any ideas how to get more affordable "one shot" coverage?

Thanks,

Jeff

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hosted big seminars at hotels which had insurance coverage.

For smaller seminars we are covered by our insurance Co.
We also have students from outside our school sign waivers.
Our existing students waivers already include seminars and tournaments as well as normal classes.

Can you look around and find other spaces that you can use that already have insurance?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
My wife and I are trying to put together a little seminar at her school We are running into a problem with the insurance though. The company that covers the gymnastics school we operate out of so far is being insistent that everyone who participates have the regular one year coverage. The cost of that, which is $35 (very good rate for a whole year I think) would make the seminar prohibitively expensive. Any of you who have run seminars before have any ideas how to get more affordable "one shot" coverage?

Thanks,

Jeff

There are insurance company that provide insurance for special events like 5.00 a person look up on google under martial art event insurance and that will direct to several companys.
Hope that will help
Terry

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Going to look into the event insurance if it doesn't pan out with the gymnastics school insurance.

Thanks again,

JeffJ

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
JeffJ said:

Thanks,

Jeff

Your insurance coverage is only $35 a year? Am I reading this right? If so, which company? I am curious to know what they would cover for such a low cost...

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking at it again, It's actually $30 dollars a year per student. I think the big difference is it's for a gymnastics school, not martial arts. They do cover us though. The gymnastics is a lot more dangerous than training in the MA, so I was surprised as well when I found out the cost. I'll get the name of the company for you very soon Tulisan.

JeffJ

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Generally you get insurance for your school that gives you the right to take it with you wherever you go - and then attach the particular place that you go to as a rider.

You are covered for liability while teaching and the physical plant (e.g. the gymnastics school) is covered if someone slips and falls on the stairs going to the seminar, etc.

At least, that's how my policy works.

Best,

Steve Lamade

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend speaking to Don Baldwin at www.karateinsurance.com
His websights list insurance for tournaments and I cannot see why it would include seminars...

I have been doing business through Don for 5 years and have been veery happy with his consistent level of good service.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:
His websights list insurance for tournaments and I cannot see why it would include seminars...

I have been doing business through Don for 5 years and have been veery happy with his consistent level of good service.

My broker as well. Haven't had any problems with seminars, either. Thumbs up.

Best,

Steve

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, we don't have specific insurance. We have my wifes students become members of the gymnastics school ($30 a year), and that covers us.

Thanks for all the advice

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CTKempo Todd said:

My experience with Don has been very good as well.

Latest Discussions