Indigenous Martial Arts in Scotland

louie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all....

I've recently written an article for the April edition of British MA mag 'Martial Arts Illustrated' which looks at the research I've been doing into finding traces of living Indigenous martial arts in the UK & Ireland. It will include some of the following 'discoveries'

Stick fighting was one of Britain’s most popular pastimes. Village fairs once held singlestick or cudgelling matches which employed yard-long ash wood sticks with a wicker basket guard. The bout often began with the short protective prayer, "God, spare our eyes", after which the object of the game was to break each others heads, from which we get the term ‘first blood’, "for the moment that blood runs an inch anywhere above the eyebrow, the old gamester to whom it belongs is beaten".
It seems that a 'sporting' form of singlestick survived in Edinburgh through a series of fencing masters and I also uncovered a former Royal Navy commander who re-introduced singlestick back into the Navy in the 1980's

Another Indiginous martial tradition possibly going back to at least the 19th C is the Highland Dirk Dance which follows a pattern similar to a kata with dagger cuts & guards and kicking-sweeping leg movements which can be found in another indigenous MA, traditional wrestling. While discussing this with a Backhold wrestling coach it turns out he remembered an old form of Dirk fencing which he learned as a youngster, this too included kicks!

Shortly after I was later to meet an Irishman who shared Blackthorn cudgel techniques his father had shown him....

Hopefully the article might encourage some of our Eastern MA colleagues to look around and investigate indigenous martial traditions in their own areas of the UK.

Louie

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The submission style that my father taught me as a child had some technique form backhold in it. Though it had a bunch of other stuff that was not of European descent.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My teacher was very interested in the fighting arts of the British Isles and noticed that many of them were still in use up until the Marquis of Queensbury established his rules for defence.

Before that time he noted that a match of Defence, as it was known, included fighting with single cudgel, double cudgel, single back sword, double back sword, and unarmed fighting.

It has been suggested that the reason the marquis established his rules was to stop the Scots from winning Defence competitions as it specifically banned kicking, which the Scots were particularly proficient at (many a bout won with a kick to the head I understand).

My teacher also tended to use wrestling terms from British sources like the sweeping loin throw, or the dreaded cross-buttock throw.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice job Louie! I look forward to picking up a copy of that issue. Have pretty much given up on all of the various mags but occasionally will grap one with an interesting article. MA Illustrated is not that common around here but I have seen it before.

OP
L

louie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice job Louie! I look forward to picking up a copy of that issue. Have pretty much given up on all of the various mags but occasionally will grap one with an interesting article. MA Illustrated is not that common around here but I have seen it before.

Hi Ken....

You've read it already!!!!

I've more or less taken all my posts from the various WMA forums, which have acted as a diary of 'events' regarding singlestickers; Paul Macdonald/Bert Bracewell/Locker Madden. Traditional dancer John Wesencraft & traditional wrestling coach Willie Baxter.

I've even added my meeting with Irish cudgeller, John Ramsay.

Louie