Inappropriate? Discrimination? Public Risk?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay...so I've had the news on all day half-listening to the Sontomayor hearings and I guess they're over for the day...

..anyway, I look up and they're debating on the size of airline attendants?

Seems like some airline will not hire an attendant over size 18.

At first I thought, "That's kinda rude..."

Then I thought, "Maybe not...they have to fit in the aisle..."

The debate went on about safety issues and so forth, but if this is allowed would it set a precedent?

I mean, if being overweight inhibits your ability to do a job...especially in cases where it could put others in jeoparady...is it wrong to discriminate?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it wrong YES, but is it tolerated of course, Being overwieght has alot of issues even for me that tend to send the wrong message to alot of folks. I am seriously consider surgery to fix the problem and to help with the ups and downs of every diet and exorcise program.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Police, Fire, and Rescue personnel have to adhere to height/weight restrictions, for their own safety and that of the public (at least they do in some jurisdictions). I don't see any reason why FA's should not also be held to a standard that does not impair their ability to perform their duties in an emergency. What that standard should be, I leave to the experts.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanna see a male flight attendant that's a size 18 ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats interesting about jobs like police and fire, is that there are strict tests to apply, yet once you're on, it seems that you're weight can go straight to hell. And those are 2 jobs, IMHO, where being as physically fit as possible is necessary. Anywho...planes are crowded, the aisles small and narrow, so I can see where being slender is a plus. However, and I don't know this for sure, but I don't think that airline employees have to go through a physical agility test, like a cop would, so unless the employer gives a valid reason, I can just imagine it'd only be a matter of time before someone filed a lawsuit.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is permitted. Police & fire-fighter candidates must meet height & weight standards, or demonstrate that they can do the job despite their weight.

If you can point to a bona fide job need for a particular requirement, than it's not discriminatory.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess the PC thing to do would be to scap all the planes in service now and build bigger ones to accommodate larger attendants?

I dunno...

TBH, I don't think I'd like to be sitting in the aisle seat and have a large attendant brushing their buttocks across my face as they try to squeeze down the aisle. Know what I mean? Does that make me a mean person?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually Celtic, that is a really good example of how a "reasonable accomodation" just can't be managed in certain circumstances. If an overly large professional joins a company, they can be outfitted with a larger chair or larger desk if what is existing doesn't fit, even if accounting grumbles about paying for it. Retrofitting planes with larger aisles...not so easy.

As far as attendants go...if they are too tall, too short, too thin, or too heavy to do their job then I would have an issue. Airplanes are tight spaces, I don't think its unreasonable that the airlines have some guidelines. If they are too large to move about effectively, then that is a problem. I would also have an issue if a tiny flight attendant was easily intimidated by a 250 pound drunk, or couldn't open/close doors expediently. Basically if they can do their job well, I don't care what size they are.

Personally I'd prefer that airlines enforce rules about overweight passengers (such as buying two seats). Sitting next to an overly large passenger bothers me more than being around a larger flight attendant. ;)

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I was in my mid-20s I went to an open application event for flight attendants because I was unattached and thought it would be a good way to be able to travel for cheap. I found out quickly that at 6ft tall I could not get a job as an attendant for any domestic airline. I was pissed cause I liked the idea of the job, but I understood that there are, sometimes, physical limitations that require some form of discrimination.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually Celtic, that is a really good example of how a "reasonable accomodation" just can't be managed in certain circumstances. If an overly large professional joins a company, they can be outfitted with a larger chair or larger desk if what is existing doesn't fit, even if accounting grumbles about paying for it. Retrofitting planes with larger aisles...not so easy.

As far as attendants go...if they are too tall, too short, too thin, or too heavy to do their job then I would have an issue. Airplanes are tight spaces, I don't think its unreasonable that the airlines have some guidelines. If they are too large to move about effectively, then that is a problem. I would also have an issue if a tiny flight attendant was easily intimidated by a 250 pound drunk, or couldn't open/close doors expediently. Basically if they can do their job well, I don't care what size they are.

Personally I'd prefer that airlines enforce rules about overweight passengers (such as buying two seats). Sitting next to an overly large passenger bothers me more than being around a larger flight attendant. ;)

Ditto :)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IF YOU CAN'T DO THE JOB.... THEN YOU CAN'T HAVE THE JOB.

I don't care if it's being overweight, underweight, to tall, to short, to weak, to stupid....

The word discrimination... does anyone here even know what it means?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discrimination

1 a: the act of discriminating
b: the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently

2: the quality or power of finely distinguishing

3 a: the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually b: prejudiced or prejudicial outlook, action, or treatment <racial discrimination>

Now notice '1' and '2'. Not all discrimination is bad. In fact, everyone discriminations every day!!!! It's called judgement!

Now if you can't do the job... yea one can discriminate and not hire you. There is nothing at all wrong with that.

It's only when it's '3' above that discrimination becomes wrong.

Deaf

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My first thought was… a 120# FA would use up a hell of a lot less fuel then a 220# FA, during their career. What’s it cost to fly an extra 100# from point A to point B? Hell my wife is close to 100# and she pays full fare!

With the price of fuel, if I run an airline, in the perfect world, I want low weight crew and passengers.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay...so I've had the news on all day half-listening to the Sontomayor hearings and I guess they're over for the day...

The debate went on about safety issues and so forth, but if this is allowed would it set a precedent?

I mean, if being overweight inhibits your ability to do a job...especially in cases where it could put others in jeoparady...is it wrong to discriminate?

Yes it sucks, but size and being able to perform the duties of a job can be used for assignments.

If she was too large put her/him behind the counter at the airport and then (s)he still has a job.

And before people say I do not understand, let me explain.

While working for General Dynamics in the early 90's, for safety to enter into a tank (M1A2) you had to wear coveralls that had special straps to ad in lifting you out. There was a couple of cases where people had heart attacks and could not get out and others could not life them out. They even ran drills to make sure that the "Drivers" which had to be with every vehicle was properly trained and ready to lead a team to get someone out.

Limit was 6'2" and less than 225 lbs.

At that time I was 6'3" and 230 lbs.

I had to go through testing to show I would not get stuck in the vehicle and not only risk my life but risk others. I also had to make sure that I wore the largest coveralls not only for comfort but to make sure the shoulder straps were stitched to support my mass.

As to the airlines, it would be a grey area but they could walk the line if done properly and with the right intent for safety. I know I have had to bring to attention to flight attendants that people with canes and walkers do not belong in the exit rows. The counter person gave it to them for more leg room for their equipment and easier to get up and down. While I understand that part the safety of the others if there was an emergency has to take priority.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

When its all said and done we will have to resort to larger vehicles. If small sized seats are causing a descrimination debate, then make them bigger. Everyone is happy! Mark my words; the Big people will not stand for this. This debate will go away in due time.
Sean

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BFOQs are established and legitimate reasons to discriminate under the law.

Latest Discussions