Importance of Watching MMA Fights?

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some of my martial arts classmates have this thinking that it is important to watch MMA type matches in order to improve as a martial artist. While some practice MMA, some don't practice it at all, and are in different styles. Nevertheless, a few of them feel that way.

I don't really have any interest in watching MMA at all, and I kinda feel estrangled because of this lack of interest.

I know the question seems related to the whole notion of whether MMA is a realistic fight (which in my view, it isn't). But can watching MMA fights really help one grow as a martial artist?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It might. IMO watching say a boxing match does not mean you will know how to box however if you see a boxer put his face towards an upcoming hook then ya I guess you would learn something(stating the obvious)
I think watching events may give you some concepts and ideas but again it goes in the same catagory of trying to learn to fight by looking at some pictures in a book. But thats one guys opnion you'll be sure to hear others similar and others not similar maybe you can watch an event and see if you learned anything I at least learn something watching old Tom and Jerry cartoons :p

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the question seems related to the whole notion of whether MMA is a realistic fight (which in my view, it isn't).

It is the closest thing many people will ever experience, and is certainly the closest sport to actual fighting.

But can watching MMA fights really help one grow as a martial artist?

Absolutely. It's not as good as participating in MMA fights or, better yet, ramping up your training to a realistic level of contact and aggression against resisting opponents in real life based scenarios, but failing that it gives you a good idea of how people fight one another when they have a wide range of options.

Bsaically, it gives you the opportunity to ask yourself 'What would I do if that was me? Could I get out of that submission? Could I stay on my feet? Could I get a takedown? Are my striking skills sufficient to stand toe-to-toe with that guy? And if not, are my ground skills sufficient to take him down and submit or ground-and-pound him?'

Most people in most martial arts classes never even really think about these things. In fact, I've had people on this very forum tell me how they would use a crescent kick to disarm a knife weilding attacker. Some people just don't ground their training in reality, and for those people watching MMA matches can be a bit of a wake-up call.

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
MMA is just like any other sports, has many rules and procedures that control the sport, it is not the same as real fight, but I will admitt it is as close as your gonna get legally.

Lets be real, most likely if you ever do get it a real life fight what will it be like. It will not be planned, programed, trained for, excepted, and most likely it will not be with someone who has training in MA, thats what makes it different than MMA, most likely your real fighting experience oponit will not even know what a triangle lock, fight stance or crecent kick is, he'll most likely be a thug with a ball bat wanting to bust it accross your head.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of my martial arts classmates have this thinking that it is important to watch MMA type matches in order to improve as a martial artist. While some practice MMA, some don't practice it at all, and are in different styles. Nevertheless, a few of them feel that way.

I don't really have any interest in watching MMA at all, and I kinda feel estrangled because of this lack of interest.

I know the question seems related to the whole notion of whether MMA is a realistic fight (which in my view, it isn't). But can watching MMA fights really help one grow as a martial artist?

IMHO, the only way to get better at something is to actually do it, not watch it. If someone wants to get better at fighting, you need to fight. If it was possible to watch something and improve, I'd be watching every Chuck Liddell fight that was out there!

Seriously though...I enjoy watching MMA fights. Every time another comes on PPV and I record it, my wife always jokes around saying, "Oh jeez, adding another to the collection huh?" LOL!

As for being close to a real fight..I'd say condition wise, no. Aggression wise, yes.

Mike

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've said before that one of the best parts of training in Martia Arts is I get to watch some of the silliest movies, and justify it as 'research'

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally don't believe MMA is that great, or that it has significantly changed anything in the world, besides increasing enrollment at Muay Thai and BJJ schools (I mean that in the least offensive way possible).

I think Wrestling and Karate is self-defense, and that there is NOTHING that can replicate the chaos and brutality of real violence, which isn't good in the first place.

I think MMA is 'prizefighting pankration' and not much else. My brother is a fan though, and I respect his interest in it, but to me it isn't good on any front.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all, MMA is what Bob Hubbard called 'a sterilized environment'. No multiple opponents, no trash talking, no weapons, no foul tactics, you get to wear gloves that protect your knuckles, you get to fight naked, which is rather odd to me, rounds, etc...

My reasoning is such: If this is real fighting, why does it take so long to get a victory? Streetfights don't last 30 seconds, let alone 3 rounds of 5 minutes, making it a 15 minute fight. Sport, such as boxing, kickboxing, and MMA is by nature endurance fighting, not quick-kill.

Karate is quick kill, and wrestling is a very important aspect of combat.

I wish Americans were more peaceful, and only liked wrestling and judo, two sports which have tremendous merit in the development of peoples' character and serve as good activities for the young.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My reasoning is such: If this is real fighting, why does it take so long to get a victory? Streetfights don't last 30 seconds, let alone 3 rounds of 5 minutes, making it a 15 minute fight. Sport, such as boxing, kickboxing, and MMA is by nature endurance fighting, not quick-kill.

You can't sell a quick fight. Back when Mike Tyson was pulling down main events, many people didn't want to buy the PPV's because the fights rarely lasted past the first minute of the first round. It's all about money.

OP
K' Evans

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Before the topic gets too off-topic about the realism of MMA, I, along with others, have discussed this in another thread. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that MMA is fake or unreal. Much like WWE, the fighters do get hurt and they are putting up a real fight. What I am saying is that the rules and conditions do not simulate a real brawl in the outside world, without the cheering, iron cage and tight ropes. I give a lot of credit to these MMA fighters who are skilled and tough, but it's just different from a real fight, even with an unskilled person. My belief is that when you add in biting, gorging, and hitting to the groin, or if the attacker has boots, weapons and etc, it's a different ball game. I am sure that MMA practitioners can still defend themselves, but I don't expect the fight to look similar to fighting in a MMA cage.

Of course, I think any person, even lay people who are not martial arts, can be exposed to the reality of fighting by watching MMA fights. But as a martial artist, with the exception of those who practice MMA as a style, how enriching can it be? If you are a practitioner of Karate, Savate, Wing Chun or some other style, isn't it a little too bemeaning to suggest that s/he isn't a "real" martial artist because the individual doesn't watch MMA (or at least has little interest in it)?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are a practitioner of Karate, Savate, Wing Chun or some other style, isn't it a little too bemeaning to suggest that s/he isn't a "real" martial artist because the individual doesn't watch MMA (or at least has little interest in it)?

Sadly, no. Most martial arts students are suburban moms and dads. They are lawyers, stockbrokers or doctors. They are real estate agents, shop owners or sales assitants. They live comfortable lives, and the thought of actually encountering a violent assailant is almost totally removed. Their lives are divorced from the reality of violence, and that includes their martial arts training.

They don't want to train with full or near-to-full contact, they don't want to use scenario drills, and they don't want to practice against resisting opponents in free-style sparring sessions. They are content in the belief that their perfectly executed triple spinning jumping back crescent kick will be enough to disarm a knife wielding attacker. Heck, many folks believe the foot-tag we call Olympic TKD is an accurate simulation of a fight!

For these people, watching a full-contact fight with limited rules can be a real wake-up call. Obviously, the best thing to do is actually get in there and factor those elements (resisting opponents, full range of contact and techniques, heavy contact, scenario drills, etc) directly into your regular training. But failing that, just watching MMA matches gives these soft suburban samurai the chance to self-evaluate, which they otherwise would not have.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course, I think any person, even lay people who are not martial arts, can be exposed to the reality of fighting by watching MMA fights. But as a martial artist, with the exception of those who practice MMA as a style, how enriching can it be? If you are a practitioner of Karate, Savate, Wing Chun or some other style, isn't it a little too bemeaning to suggest that s/he isn't a "real" martial artist because the individual doesn't watch MMA (or at least has little interest in it)?

Like I said above, if it was possible to get better by watching something, we would all view the task at hand, and that would be it. We'd instantly be great! However, it doesn't work like that.

The reality is, is that we can't change how people think. I mean, if someone chooses to gear their training a certain way, there is nothing that anyone can do to change that.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, no. Most martial arts students are suburban moms and dads. They are lawyers, stockbrokers or doctors. They are real estate agents, shop owners or sales assitants. They live comfortable lives, and the thought of actually encountering a violent assailant is almost totally removed. Their lives are divorced from the reality of violence, and that includes their martial arts training.

They don't want to train with full or near-to-full contact, they don't want to use scenario drills, and they don't want to practice against resisting opponents in free-style sparring sessions. They are content in the belief that their perfectly executed triple spinning jumping back crescent kick will be enough to disarm a knife wielding attacker. Heck, many folks believe the foot-tag we call Olympic TKD is an accurate simulation of a fight!

For these people, watching a full-contact fight with limited rules can be a real wake-up call. Obviously, the best thing to do is actually get in there and factor those elements (resisting opponents, full range of contact and techniques, heavy contact, scenario drills, etc) directly into your regular training. But failing that, just watching MMA matches gives these soft suburban samurai the chance to self-evaluate, which they otherwise would not have.

Good points! I've always wondered though, why people choose to study the arts, but don't want to take the time to make sure that what they're doing is going to actually work. People dont want too much contact, but they're training in a contact art?? They're doing it to lose weight. Ok...isn't a gym going to do that too and the only ocntact you have is with the weights. I dont know, maybe its just me, but for myself, my primary goal is self defense.

Mike

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved watching Japanese wrestling and deamt to become like my hero Antonio Inoki. After that I started watching boxing and appreciate the matches for skills and technicality. But after few years watching 2 people fighting on a ring just got boring.

Since I started Aikido I went back and watch some matches. I watch any kind of tournment no matter what style. What I look at in the matches is not technical skills or amusement (which I got none), but I like watching the many different ways people attack and defends. That doesn't mean that I learn MMA, karate, judo or whatever I watch, but it helps me thinking what I would do Vs that attack?
Hee hee last match I watched was a K1 match with a fighter called Sapp. There I realized that there are matches I couldn't even drea to win hee hee he is a giant beast hee hee.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved watching Japanese wrestling and deamt to become like my hero Antonio Inoki. After that I started watching boxing and appreciate the matches for skills and technicality. But after few years watching 2 people fighting on a ring just got boring.

Since I started Aikido I went back and watch some matches. I watch any kind of tournment no matter what style. What I look at in the matches is not technical skills or amusement (which I got none), but I like watching the many different ways people attack and defends. That doesn't mean that I learn MMA, karate, judo or whatever I watch, but it helps me thinking what I would do Vs that attack?
Hee hee last match I watched was a K1 match with a fighter called Sapp. There I realized that there are matches I couldn't even drea to win hee hee he is a giant beast hee hee.

Hey, nothing wrong with visualizing how you would approach a situation. I do it as well. :) People may not and probably don't have the skill of a profighter, but when you see a big guy it makes ya think for a minute. :)

Mike

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If the main concern of this thread is Can I learn by watching? I would say NO. Even books and DVDs are essentially useless. What matters is the pavlovlian habits you form in training, and the ability to overcome the adrenaline rush of being confronted by a nasty thug, who may be bigger than you or on drugs.

The techniques of traditional karate are too dangerous to practice with a partner, but if you are forced to defend yourself, and you keep your wits about you, the techniques will just happen.

Wrestling is good to start in, and in the event that you are grabbed, and the 'aliveness' of wrestling-sparring helps. I know wrestling is overestimated by some and underestimated by others.

But back to the main concept: did anyone learn to drive a car by watching a film about driving? You learn by doing, and the two most important factors in self defense is to channel the adrenaline rush into action, and to do a technique that you have practiced so many times that it becomes reflexive, or second nature, as my friend Officer Lowenthal said.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, MMA is what Bob Hubbard called 'a sterilized environment'. No multiple opponents, no trash talking, no weapons, no foul tactics, you get to wear gloves that protect your knuckles, you get to fight naked, which is rather odd to me, rounds, etc...

Karate is quick kill, and wrestling is a very important aspect of combat.

I wish Americans were more peaceful, and only liked wrestling and judo, two sports which have tremendous merit in the development of peoples' character and serve as good activities for the young.

Why does it take so long for a victory? well i think that would be obvious no? the people that fight in the 'street' are far from highly trained in fact most streetfights consist of a bunch of flailing arms.
Also it appears that you dont watch MMA since quick knockouts are quite common.

Wrestling is an important part of combat but Judo and BJJ isnt??? that makes no sense.

Kickboxing, boxing and bjj is not a quick kill only when the other guy has studied kickboxing, boxing and BJJ, its less easy to land a shot when your oppenant knows how to defend against it. do you not remember Royce Gracies BJJ domance in the first UFC when no one else had trained BJJ?

And BTW most of the americans that fight in the UFC are all ex-wrestlers, so i assume that wasnt a dig at the charaters of UFC fighters.

Latest Discussions