I'm starting Kickboxing today!

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was not my first choice, but after looking around, everything I wanted was too far away, or otherwise unreachable. So thanks to everyone that helped my during my search!

I know this is off-topic but I wanted to let you know and thank you for your help. So thanks again! I'm pretty psyched!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck. Kickboxing is a great style it'll give you a good work out, teach footwork and blocks and punches and kicks. It's not over complicated but it's a good style. If it's western kickboxing it'll be kicks, punches and knees but no elbows or clinch work.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good luck. Kickboxing is a great style it'll give you a good work out, teach footwork and blocks and punches and kicks. It's not over complicated but it's a good style. If it's western kickboxing it'll be kicks, punches and knees but no elbows or clinch work.

Sadly, I believe it's Western. But we'll see. It's good to know there are two kinds [emoji1]

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, I believe it's Western. But we'll see. It's good to know there are two kinds [emoji1]
Well there's western and there's Muay Thai. Honestly I find western more exciting to watch because in Thai they can be in a clinch for a whole round not doing much but in western they're throwing strikes the whole time.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well there's western and there's Muay Thai. Honestly I find western more exciting to watch because in Thai they can be in a clinch for a whole round not doing much but in western they're throwing strikes the whole time.

Yeah MT was a choice too, but it was quite far away. It would have worn me down eventually :(

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I knew 2 kinds: American Kickboxing (no kicks below waist) and Japanese Kickboxing (K-1 rules, originally). Saying MT is a kind of Kickboxing may be offensive for some. But of course, there are much in common.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I am not wrong, elbows can be part of the Kickboxing programme, but rarely allowed in K-1 competitions.
PS: These days I think the best promotion is GLORY Kickboxing (in case you want to watch some fights).

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I am not wrong, elbows can be part of the Kickboxing programme, but rarely allowed in K-1 competitions.
Any kickboxing I've ever fought in has been no elbows but maybe there is in some I'm just basing it on my experience

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I knew 2 kinds: American Kickboxing (no kicks below waist) and Japanese Kickboxing (K-1 rules, originally). Saying MT is a kind of Kickboxing may be offensive for some. But of course, there are much in common.
To me it's exactly the same apart from the elbows and the clinch game

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Isn't kickboxing based on MT, Karate and Boxing? That's what Wikipedia says at least.
That makes more sense [emoji1]

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't kickboxing based on MT, Karate and Boxing? That's what Wikipedia says at least.

That makes more sense [emoji1]
Ah yes good old trustworthy Wikipedia lol but I don't know maybe it is but like I say any kickboxing gym I've trained at has never used elbows and any show I've ever been part of hasn't had them in the rules. Anyway either way kickboxing is a simple enough style to pick up it teaches the basics of fighting very well and lets be honest in a street fight all you need is the basics all the flashy stuff is cool to learn but really a fight will come down to your basic punches and kicks

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any kickboxing I've ever fought in has been no elbows but maybe there is in some I'm just basing it on my experience
You may be right. After a quick check I found that the "Dutch style" of Kickboxing includes elbows. That was vaguely what I had in mind. But then perhaps never allowed in K-1 rules...

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You may be right. After a quick check I found that the "Dutch style" of Kickboxing includes elbows. That was vaguely what I had in mind. But then perhaps never allowed in K-1 rules...
Personally I'm not a fan of elbows in competition, elbows are a great weapon for a street fight no doubt but in the ring they're the main of cuts with the grazing elbows and it gets fights stopped and no one wants a fight stopped to cuts.

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah yes good old trustworthy Wikipedia lol but I don't know maybe it is but like I say any kickboxing gym I've trained at has never used elbows and any show I've ever been part of hasn't had them in the rules. Anyway either way kickboxing is a simple enough style to pick up it teaches the basics of fighting very well and lets be honest in a street fight all you need is the basics all the flashy stuff is cool to learn but really a fight will come down to your basic punches and kicks
Even if there aren't any elbows, once I know the basics it wouldn't be hard to learn a move or two on my own, I suppose. I was never a fan of the flashy stuff. That's why I abandoned Wing Chun.
Indeed! I'm starting to think the same thing.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, from my bad memory, both styles I mentioned where developed quite at the same time. American Kickboxing from Karate+Boxing, Japanese Kickboxing from Karate+MT (as a development of Karate because it almost lost to MT in an historic competition...). At least, it is one version of the story. :)
Everything can be checked online using these key words, I believe. :)

OP
That-a-Way

That-a-Way

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, from my bad memory, both styles I mentioned where developed quite at the same time. American Kickboxing from Karate+Boxing, Japanese Kickboxing from Karate+MT (as a development of Karate because it almost lost to MT in an historic competition...). At least, it is one version of the story. :)
Everything can be checked online using these key words, I believe. :)
Yeah. Sometimes it's sad that the story is so unclear when it comes to ancient martial arts.

Latest Discussions