Illinois Banning Amateur MA comps

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was that not originated against those tough man contests?

Always shows, beware what you wish for....

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was that not originated against those tough man contests?

Always shows, beware what you wish for....
They are trying to regulate everything now even sport martial art and Taekwondo events. This is a pain.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are trying to regulate everything now even sport martial art and Taekwondo events. This is a pain.

Shucks, you knew the writing was on the wall when they threatened to charge the people on the Springer Show with assault... :D

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so if i read this right, this dont apply to TKD?????

This subsection (a) does not 5
apply to any of the following: 6
(1) Amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 7
contests conducted by accredited secondary schools, 8
colleges, or universities, although a fee may be charged.9
(2) Amateur boxing contests that are sanctioned by USA 10
Boxing or any other sanctioning organization approved by 11
the Association of Boxing Commissions.12
(3) Amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 13
contests conducted by a State, county, or municipal entity.14
(4) Amateur martial arts or full-contact martial arts 15
contests, as defined by this Act, that are recognized by 16
the International Olympic Committee and are contested in 17
the Olympic Games and are not conducted in an enclosed 18
fighting area or ring. 19
No other amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 20
contests shall be permitted unless authorized by the 21
Department. 22
(b) The Department shall have the authority to determine 23
whether a professional or amateur contest is exempt for 24
purposes of this Section.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so if i read this right, this dont apply to TKD?????

This subsection (a) does not 5
apply to any of the following: 6
(1) Amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 7
contests conducted by accredited secondary schools, 8
colleges, or universities, although a fee may be charged.9
(2) Amateur boxing contests that are sanctioned by USA 10
Boxing or any other sanctioning organization approved by 11
the Association of Boxing Commissions.12
(3) Amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 13
contests conducted by a State, county, or municipal entity.14
(4) Amateur martial arts or full-contact martial arts 15
contests, as defined by this Act, that are recognized by 16
the International Olympic Committee and are contested in 17
the Olympic Games and are not conducted in an enclosed 18
fighting area or ring. 19
No other amateur boxing or full-contact martial arts 20
contests shall be permitted unless authorized by the 21
Department. 22
(b) The Department shall have the authority to determine 23
whether a professional or amateur contest is exempt for 24
purposes of this Section.

If it is a USAT event that would lead up to Olympics say the tournament that picks the US team then they are exempt. However, if it is GM John Doe just throwing a local TKD tournament, he would affected by this new law.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't recall her name but last time there was a female TKD school owner that had the ear of one of the State reps who got amateur stuff exempted. I hope she / he jump onm it again.

Called one state rep i knew last time and he couldn't be bothered. I will try again.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is a USAT event that would lead up to Olympics say the tournament that picks the US team then they are exempt. However, if it is GM John Doe just throwing a local TKD tournament, he would affected by this new law.

Sounds like if it is sanctioned by USAT, then it would be ok. The open question is whether an ITF sanctioned tournament would be allowed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like if it is sanctioned by USAT, then it would be ok. The open question is whether an ITF sanctioned tournament would be allowed.

It's nit picky.
You get one organization allowed, the other not, you are going down a dark and lonely road.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's nit picky. You get one organization allowed, the other not, you are going down a dark and lonely road.

The ITF chose to take itself down a dark and lonely road when General Choi made the concerted effort to distinguish ITF Taekwon-Do from Kukki Taekwondo. To me, it is all the same art, which is the argument that a promoter of an ITF tournament would have to make if he/she wanted to host one in Illinois under that statute that is quoted above.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ITF chose to take itself down a dark and lonely road when General Choi made the concerted effort to distinguish ITF Taekwon-Do from Kukki Taekwondo. To me, it is all the same art, which is the argument that a promoter of an ITF tournament would have to make if he/she wanted to host one in Illinois under that statute that is quoted above.

OK, interesting point except the statute applies to all MA comps. Not just TKD. As far as dark and lonely road, the number of Olympic related (TKD) MA competitions held in Illinois is a drop in the bucket compared to all the independants and small orgs in a huge number of styles and open comps.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As far as dark and lonely road, the number of Olympic related (TKD) MA competitions held in Illinois is a drop in the bucket compared to all the independants and small orgs in a huge number of styles and open comps.

oh well, at least Taekwondo is saved. Perhaps if this passes, then Taekwondo tournaments will become much more popular in Illinois. From a Kukki Taekwondo political standpoint, I think we have to support the bill, in Illinois and every other state which uses similar language in their state statutes. If anything, it will give non-Kukki Taekwondo instructors and clubs a strong incentive to further unify under Kukki Taekwondo. After this step is taken, the next step would be to require Taekwondo schools to have instructors certified or licensed through the Kukkiwon Instructor Course.

:)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh well, at least taekwondo is saved. Perhaps if this passes, then taekwondo tournaments will become much more popular in illinois. From a kukki taekwondo political standpoint, i think we have to support the bill, in illinois and every other state which uses similar language in their state statutes. If anything, it will give non-kukki taekwondo instructors and clubs a strong incentive to further unify under kukki taekwondo. After this step is taken, the next step would be to require taekwondo schools to have instructors certified or licensed through the kukkiwon instructor course.

cha-ching

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't recall her name but last time there was a female TKD school owner that had the ear of one of the State reps who got amateur stuff exempted. I hope she / he jump onm it again.

Called one state rep i knew last time and he couldn't be bothered. I will try again.
I don't recall her name either but I believe she wasn't champion everyone, just her little corner of the world.

I have already spoken to Sensei Sharkey about this and we are going to fire up the attorney we were using last time when this came about. We already had our foot in the door, letters from affluent martial artists to back up our organization.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You would be better at interpreting that than I would, but I got the impression that it was only if the tournament dealt directly with the Olympics in some way shape or form.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't recall her name either but I believe she wasn't champion everyone, just her little corner of the world.

Found out who she was and she is being contacted. Probably knows already. I hope her rep is still in office. E-mailed my reps.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
oh well, at least Taekwondo is saved. Perhaps if this passes, then Taekwondo tournaments will become much more popular in Illinois. From a Kukki Taekwondo political standpoint, I think we have to support the bill, in Illinois and every other state which uses similar language in their state statutes. If anything, it will give non-Kukki Taekwondo instructors and clubs a strong incentive to further unify under Kukki Taekwondo. After this step is taken, the next step would be to require Taekwondo schools to have instructors certified or licensed through the Kukkiwon Instructor Course.

And while I agree that this would be good for KKW TKD, I have another life that says hell no I'm not supporting this. First of all, the money would have to flow through the USAT to pay for a sanctioning. I'm sure they would be pleased but do we really want to pump money into that organization?

Secondly, as a director of the AKA, an organization that has been around since 1964, this is a huge problem in terms is sport martial art tournaments which have sparring in it. There are hundreds of these types of tournaments going on every year. Needless to say they would be dwindled down close to nothing. Our organization have already taken steps to apply as a recognized sanctioning body. We will just have to start working on it again.

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Even this exemption is not clearly defined:
(4) Amateur martial arts or full-contact martial arts 15contests, as defined by this Act, that are recognized by 16the International Olympic Committee and are contested in 17the Olympic Games

So, perhaps any TKD would be OK so long as TKD is "recognized" by the IOC and contested in the Olympic Games. Hmm whose to say what is or is not TKD?

But, if TKD would lose it's status as an Olymoic sport, then it's screwed as well.

Latest Discussions