IKCA in Action

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
The IKCA has added a new section to their site you might find interesting. About an hour of free video including:

Preview Video

Black Belt Video Magazine #19 segment on the Karate Connection.

Check out the "Evolution of the Karate Connection" to see some IKCA folks in action. Chuck Sullivan is definitely looking to the future.

I heard the plans are to eventually work up to 4-5 hours of free video available to all. Definitely worth a looksee, decide for yourself.

http://www.karateconnection.com/videoclips.html

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having not yet met a video black belt who could hold his salt against one who earned it getting banged up in a class, I'll pass. I'm sure it's neat-o, but all the same...

Dave

OP
bdparsons

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then I'd definitely would have to say that your close-mindedness is your loss.

Though obviously not everyone agrees with the distance learning format (and each is entitled to their opinion); to assume that all who learn in such a manner are substandard is naive, as is believing all who learn face-to-face are of a better quality. The presupposition that most fall to is that in all distance learning programs there is no accountablity for what is taught and learned. In some cases this is correct and these programs should be exposed for what they are, fraudulent money-making schemes. But there are cases where accountablity is the backbone of the program and credit should be given where credit is due. Sure you are going to have situations where some students are better than others, it's the inherent nature of the martial arts regardless of how they are taught. As an IKCA instructor, there are fellow IKCA Black Belts that I wouldn't give you two cents for, and others that I would let guard my back in any life and death situation. But I have found this to be the case with many martial artists and fighters I've met over the years from many varied styles and all taught with face-to-face instruction. I'd even go out on a limb and suggest that this has been your experience as well. Making such broad all-inclusive statements not only show a limited understanding and exposure, but an underlying arrogance as well.

May your journey as long as it has been already, be illuminated in the future.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i once shared Dave's same opinion about distance learning. i have since conceded to the fact that the ICKA teaches their program way differently. it's not just them selling you a stack of videos with the diploma and belts attached. you must video test and send that back for grading, they in turn critique your test and send back their comments on the same tape. i also respect the idea that each test you perform must be done with a partner in order to show correct target striking and mechanics. thanks for the link, it was enjoyable.

watch the preview video before you criticize their system. Sullivan and LeRoux are NOT the fradulent black belt by mail people we all once thought they were. i respect what they are doing.

btw, i am not a ICKA student and never have been. i have no affililiation with them at all and have nothing to gain from my above remarks. just an honest outsiders opinion.

i am Sapper6, and i approved this message :asian:

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am not an IKCA member.
I do talk to Mr. Laroux on occasions and have worked out with some of his black belts. I can tell you that his black belts hit hard and there are a few things I don't agree with I will also say that is because I haven't went threw their system. I will tell you this that I personally know a green belt that moved and there was no kenpo for two hours. He joined IKCA and test for yellow belt and didn't pass. If you get involved you have to practice just like you do in a regular school. So the best tip I can give you is get a partner that is as committed as you are and practice set aside time in your week just like with a regualar class. Because let me tell lyou Mr. Laroux personally views each and every tape and he isn't easy.

this isn't a cupcake course. If you treat it like one then you will get out of it exactly what you put into it.

I here to tell you that If I didn't have an instructor around that I trusted I would join these guys.

V/R

Rick English

N

N.Somerville

Well said Mr Parsons, i dont think the Grand Masters could have said it better.

Trust me guys you have to work hard to attain the belts in this system, its not easy and is very indepth...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
bdparsons said:
Then I'd definitely would have to say that your close-mindedness is your loss.

Though obviously not everyone agrees with the distance learning format (and each is entitled to their opinion); to assume that all who learn in such a manner are substandard is naive, as is believing all who learn face-to-face are of a better quality. The presupposition that most fall to is that in all distance learning programs there is no accountablity for what is taught and learned. In some cases this is correct and these programs should be exposed for what they are, fraudulent money-making schemes. But there are cases where accountablity is the backbone of the program and credit should be given where credit is due. Sure you are going to have situations where some students are better than others, it's the inherent nature of the martial arts regardless of how they are taught. As an IKCA instructor, there are fellow IKCA Black Belts that I wouldn't give you two cents for, and others that I would let guard my back in any life and death situation. But I have found this to be the case with many martial artists and fighters I've met over the years from many varied styles and all taught with face-to-face instruction. I'd even go out on a limb and suggest that this has been your experience as well. Making such broad all-inclusive statements not only show a limited understanding and exposure, but an underlying arrogance as well.

May your journey as long as it has been already, be illuminated in the future.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute
My closed-mindedness is my loss? It's the intolerance of distraction or sub-par quality that's my greatest advantage.

I have already invested over 30 years of active training in kenpo ("active" not to include couch time), under the direct tutelage of men with excellent standards and technique. Even with that as a background, I spent 3-4 hours the other day under the direct instruction of Doc Chapel and one of his assistants, just getting straight on footwork, stances, and basics I've been donig since my 6th birthday...and I still have a lot more to do before I'm near the mark. Constant, ongoing correction and improvement towards a specific performance capability goal, from a guy whose technical understandings aren't questioned by even his most vocal critics. Some may not like his politics or demeanor, or the direction he's taking Sub-Level Four, but I haven't yet heard anybody be dense enough to say, "Doc don't know kenpo". Got sore like a newbie; corrected like a newbie; humbled by how much more there is to learn even after committnig the equivalent of a life-sentence to the art, and you want me to believe -- even for a second -- that video instruction and testing is going to give you the detailed minutae required to do kenpo well?

There is a lot of crappy kenpo out there; it's not hard, with a minimum of skill, to show up at a kenpo event, and fit in at the median or mean range of skill. If what you aspire to is mediocrity, then video courses are certainly the best option. If you demand integrity through excellence of yourself and your kenpo, then you have to yield to the simple fact that YOU CAN NOT LEARN THE MINUTE AND SPECIFIC DETAILS THAT MAKE KENPO A SOPHISTICATED SYSTEM VIA VIDEO.

I have literally been in kenpo longer than a lot of the guys on this board have been alive. I have seen the studio-taught guys who suck, so yes, I know they are out there. Are they really to be considered the standard for comparison? Shall we choose the worst possibilities, and use them as comparators? Better idea. Let's choose the best, and use them. I'm spoiled, having had the geographic luxury to train with some of kenpo's greats and near greats here in Southern California (I read the phrase somewhere on MT about a year ago, meant in a derrogatory tone, "West Coast 1st Generatrion Senior/10-Degree black" like it's a bad thing).

Parker left us, the kenpo public, a legacy to carry on. Mr. Sullivan was a part of that legacy for many years, and remains a very talented and skilled "West Coast 1st Gen 10th Degree Black". And yet, somehow, unless they have sold themsevles out for rank, you will not find a single warm-body information-transferred 1st or 2nd gen kenpo BB on here from NON-IKCA roots saying "video good". The few 1st gens and masters we have on here (albeit diplomatically) all agree it's a bad thing. At the very least, and insufficient way to pass on the detailed information that makes up Kenpo.

The Journey is a hard one. And should remain so to seperate wheat from chaff. Disenfranchised chaff have found a way to participate in kenpo via video, and the IKCA has found a way to get paid by providing that possibility. At least Sullivans gettting paid. Most of our kenpo greats will pass from this life without having reaped the finncial rewards they richly deserve.

Dave

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The view that Kenpo is a something that if you have more of it, you will therefore be a better Kenpoist. Knowledge of Kenpo (or any othere Ma)is not collecting Forms, techniques and such. Maintaining the art of kenpo is all in how well we learn from your seniors. Given that commication even face to face can be misunderstood, how will the art be transmitted thru tapes??

Todd

OP
bdparsons

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
[Up front I will say I do not have firsthand knowledge with any other distance learning program other than the IKCA and can only speak to how they handle the distance learning process. Once again I emphatically state that there are certain (if not most) distance learning programs available that should be avoided like the plague, that do not have procedures and parameters in place to do what is necessary to insure quality instruction. "Buyer Beware!" is certainly the catch phrase in these situations.]

Mr. Crouch,

I admire someone who is firm in their convictions. It was my original intention to let your comments go by the wayside, to live with the fact we are diametrically opposed in our opinions, and to understand that I'm not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine. But the more I thought about it I realized that to let some of your objections go unanswered and concerns go unaddressed would be to foster a distinct misunderstanding of the IKCA specifically. This would do a disservice to those who may be struggling with the issue of distance learning. After all, we certainly wouldn't want them making up their mind based on misconceptions, would we? This should hold true for your position or mine. You obviously do not speak from direct experience with the IKCA and as many of the uninformed do, have made assumptions that are incorrect.

We actually have very similar backgrounds. I started in the arts in the summer of '72, and yes it was Kenpo. I took a different path shortly thereafter and spent the next 30+ years studying and teaching Hapkido, with varying degrees of exposure to other arts. That being said, I held exactly the same positions as you hold when I first learned of distance learning. Point for point we follow (or followed) the same talking paper when addressing this issue. I was as staunch as they come in the feeling that the only way one could learn martial arts effectively was face-to-face, toe-to-toe, in your face and on the mat. To be honest there are some facets of certain arts that I still feel the same way about today.

Let's address some of the issues you raise paragraph by paragraph:

I have already invested over 30 years of active training in kenpo ("active" not to include couch time), under the direct tutelage of men with excellent standards and technique. Even with that as a background, I spent 3-4 hours the other day under the direct instruction of Doc Chapel and one of his assistants, just getting straight on footwork, stances, and basics I've been donig since my 6th birthday...and I still have a lot more to do before I'm near the mark. Constant, ongoing correction and improvement towards a specific performance capability goal, from a guy whose technical understandings aren't questioned by even his most vocal critics. Some may not like his politics or demeanor, or the direction he's taking Sub-Level Four, but I haven't yet heard anybody be dense enough to say, "Doc don't know kenpo". Got sore like a newbie; corrected like a newbie; humbled by how much more there is to learn even after committnig the equivalent of a life-sentence to the art, and you want me to believe -- even for a second -- that video instruction and testing is going to give you the detailed minutae required to do kenpo well?
Congratulations, sounds like you have had opportuniites others will never have. Just to be clear, let me say that I feel that face-to-face instruction is ALWAYS the best option. But what about those who have a passion for the art of Kenpo yet lack access to the impressive instructors you have had, or even qualified Kenpo instructors in their area? There are those that find themselves in this situation, both the inexperienced and the experienced. What do we say to them? Too bad, so sad, see ya? I'm not going to address, assume or insinuate anything concerning your choice of instructor, you're obviously happy with him, have a ball. Your statement concerning teacher-to-student correction and improvement towards a given performance capability has merit, but to assume that that's not present with the IKCA is incorrect. You appear to be unfamiliar with the IKCA process of structured teaching, testing, critique, expanded subject teaching and accountablity to demonstrate initial, corrected, and supplemental material. Granted, it is not as quick as face-to-face intruction would be, but when both parties are devoted to the process, be it via video lessons or supplemental in-person lessons, it is not only present but consistent as well. As for doing Kenpo well, as in face-to-face instructon, that occurs when the instuctor teaches well and the student learns well and ultimately that is demonstrated on the mat.

There is a lot of crappy kenpo out there; it's not hard, with a minimum of skill, to show up at a kenpo event, and fit in at the median or mean range of skill. If what you aspire to is mediocrity, then video courses are certainly the best option. If you demand integrity through excellence of yourself and your kenpo, then you have to yield to the simple fact that YOU CAN NOT LEARN THE MINUTE AND SPECIFIC DETAILS THAT MAKE KENPO A SOPHISTICATED SYSTEM VIA VIDEO.
You're right, there is a lot of crappy Kenpo out there, in this we are in complete agreement. But I've learned that it's best not to assume anything until I've met a person on the mat. The danger in making broad assertions and assumptions is that things don't always turn out as you expect. Sometimes your dead on the money, other times you find yourself eating crow. Your statement concerning "integrity through excellence" presupposes that all those involved in the distance learning process are willing to teach and/or accept something less than excellence, another broad assertion not supported by fact. I, nor anyone else, have to yield to the assertion, not fact, that quality Kenpo cannot be learned via video. This is an assumption based on your own experience, but sadly it cannot be substantiated by facts. The quality and end result of any teaching/learning experience depends on 1) the material, 2) the teacher, and 3) the student. The same as in the studio.

I have literally been in kenpo longer than a lot of the guys on this board have been alive. I have seen the studio-taught guys who suck, so yes, I know they are out there. Are they really to be considered the standard for comparison? Shall we choose the worst possibilities, and use them as comparators? Better idea. Let's choose the best, and use them. I'm spoiled, having had the geographic luxury to train with some of kenpo's greats and near greats here in Southern California (I read the phrase somewhere on MT about a year ago, meant in a derrogatory tone, "West Coast 1st Generatrion Senior/10-Degree black" like it's a bad thing).
Again, congratulations on your longevity. As far as the standard of comparison, I agree that we should do exactly as you suggest. The best compared to the best, absolutely. I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make in the previous post. There are folks who have learned Kenpo strictly by video that I most certainly would put against their counterparts who have learned in a studio, good, better or best. The heart of the point I was trying to make, however poorly I articulated it, was that there is always going to be a spectrum of talent and ability regardless of learning method. And no, I would not assume that on the whole video students, at least with the IKCA, are substandard. I agree you're probably spoiled; being in the Mecca of Kenpo will do that to you. But my question would be why haven't you contacted Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux and asked to see the results of those they taught via video instead of making assumptions as to their program's effectiveness? After all, they are right in the neighborhood.

Parker left us, the kenpo public, a legacy to carry on. Mr. Sullivan was a part of that legacy for many years, and remains a very talented and skilled "West Coast 1st Gen 10th Degree Black". And yet, somehow, unless they have sold themsevles out for rank, you will not find a single warm-body information-transferred 1st or 2nd gen kenpo BB on here from NON-IKCA roots saying "video good". The few 1st gens and masters we have on here (albeit diplomatically) all agree it's a bad thing. At the very least, and insufficient way to pass on the detailed information that makes up Kenpo.
Nothing like a good back-handed compliment to try and make your point. Sure, you've got folks who disagree with what Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux have done with the IKCA. But there also those (1st and 2nd generation) who have seen good IKCA video folks in action and acknowledge (sometimes begrudgingly) the quality they observe. There are also those, some who may be closer than you think (on this forum), who say one thing when face-to-face with Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux, and then turn around and bad-mouth them to others. Seems like that integrity issue keeps raising it's ugly head. I personally would be hesitant to use this forum as a benchmark. Just because a few 1st generations who frequent here "agree it's a bad thing" don't make it so. To those I would be curious to see if they are speaking from firsthand experience or making assumptions, as it appears you are doing.

The Journey is a hard one. And should remain so to seperate wheat from chaff. Disenfranchised chaff have found a way to participate in kenpo via video, and the IKCA has found a way to get paid by providing that possibility. At least Sullivans gettting paid. Most of our kenpo greats will pass from this life without having reaped the finncial rewards they richly deserve.
Again, I couldn't agree more, but for slightly different reasons. I'm intrigued by your use of the term "disenfranchised chaff". Believe me, the IKCA has had their share of those individuals. (To me disenfranchised assumes they were affiliated elsewhere.) The IKCA has seen all kinds come knocking. Many are looking to get their illegitimate rank recognized and to be affiliated with Parker 1st generation Black Belts. They don't like it when they are told "We don't recognize the person who awarded you your rank as a legitimate Kenpo Black Belt." and " You must go through the system from square one, just like everybody else." Some are legitimate and still balk at the fact they have to learn the system. The failure rate for video tests in the IKCA is 2.5-3 out of every 5 tests. Many who fail are those with previous martial arts experience and many of those come from a "solid" background of Kenpo, with more than a few being Kenpo Black Belts from other organizations. It's actually funny to see them pop up elsewhere under another Kenpo organizaton with a new stripe or two within weeks or months of being turned away by the IKCA. Granted some do stick with the IKCA, at least for the first test, some drop off when they realize video testing is more involved than they thought or when they fail, others continue to work work their way through the curriculum. For those who have completed the process, most are very satisfied with the Kenpo they've learned and with the organization; a few aren't and on rare occasions some leave for various reasons. Sounds like the threshing process works quite well, thank you.

As to your intimation that Mr. Sullivan and Mr. LeRoux are in it for the money, selling the art they love out for the almighty dollar, all I can say is you don't know the men I know. Do they make any money? Sure they do, as do the 1st generation seniors who make their sole living giving seminars (some of which have never personally brought a student beyond Green Belt). Are they sitting atop the Kenpo video empire? Hardly. Compare their prices to everyone else, and remember that you only get charged a testing fee once (even if you fail and have to retest). A search of IKCA records show that only 3 out of 100 who ever make it to Orange Belt make it to Black Belt. If you would venture to take the time to know these men, as you appear to have made the effort to know others, you'll find two men who are passionate about the art of Kenpo and who love seeing people blossom and grow in their knowledge of this terrific art.

I certainly don't mean to assert that IKCA Kenpo is for everybody, it is not. The fact is thee are more than a few who are unable to handle the distance learning process. It takes a significant amount of self-motivation not everyone has. But I would assert that it is not substandard when learned and earned properly even when that learning occurs via video. What does properly mean? Proper practice, working the Kenpo on a live body (required during the testing process by the way), adherence to the standards set by the organization (video student or no), being held accountable for what you are required to learn. Frankly most who start the program never finish, isn't that the way it should be? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are others. May your journey be a fruitful and enlightened one.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bravo Mr. Parsons. Your post is logical, intelligent, and cogent. I appreciate the effort you put forth and your position. Many of us are too quick to judge, myself included, when it comes to video instruction. The $999/Black Belt with no tests, no videos, and by the way "your belt comes with your enrollment package", left a bad taste in many peoples' mouths. This was NOT an IKCA claim to fame by the way. You are right, unless we have seen the product of this training, skeptical though we be, we should not judge ... but rather let's "reserve judgement" and make no specific assumptions without evidence.

I personally do not know either instructor, although I am scheduled to teach at a camp this coming fall, at which Mr. Sullivan will be the featured instructor ... not a Kenpo event by the way, and am looking forward to meeting him.

Thanks for taking the time to reply so thouroughly. It is so easy for us to whip off a 3 line "video learning sucks" post, whereas that is not always the case. I still see video as an adjunct to training, or ancillary to in-person lessons, which can certainly fill in a lot of the blanks, but as you stated, a live instructor IS THE BEST METHOD OF LEARNING. Not everyone has this however, and being critical of them is our trying to make our own line longer by cutting another's short (cutting someone else down to make us feel superior). Totally unnecessary if you are secure in your own training and abilities.

Kudos,
-Michael

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Parsons:

Well said, even if I still don't concur. One point stands out in my mind above all others. The "warm body during testing" piece. Is that the only time they have the warm bod? If so, that cements my perspective even further, without my having to say a thing. But we can't have that, so...

In studios, class is typically divided into segments: Physical training and warm-up, basics drills, then techniques...which are practiced with partners. So, it's safe to say that, even in a school with no emphasis on sparring, at least 1/3 of the time is spent interacting with flesh and bone. Now, for the next level. 2/3's are spent under a corrective eye (technique drills, plus the basics drills during which the instructor shouts to move this or that body part in or out, etc.).

Sparring, even though it has the capacity to engrain bad habits one might not want in the street, is an absolute necessity (yes, ABSOLUTE) for developing the timing, rhythem, and thick skin required to take basic skills, and interpret them into contact ability. I saw a thread where people were discussing the pros and cons of sparring, and if it's necessary. Simply put, yes. And the T.V. doesn't count, nor does the superman dummy. One of the oft-quoted Parker quotes is, "Pure kenpo is when pure knuckles meet pure flesh". Can't get there with a video. Need flesh. In a school or club, sparring nights are available for people to develop and hone their skills at closing the gap, responding to strategic threats posed by the placement of an opponents natural weapons and mal-intent, and exchanging blows in the heat of trade...trying to bonk the other guy in the head or nuts, while he tries to bonk you in yours.

And, by the way, I have met IKCA BB's. 2. Granted, not a quorem by any stretch. What I saw was sub-par. That having been said, my own skills should be presently considered sub-par...I have not the wind to keep up with sparring at this time, and would not come close to passing one of my own black belt tests...grueling crisis and observation crucibles in which the stamina, skill and will of the individual are tested. I'd puke, pass out, and fail, to be sure. But I still know good kenpo when I see it, and in the 2 IKCA boys I've seen, it was not there.

I have a guy who blacked in Sam Pai under some of Joe Dimmicks guys before I met him. I took him to a next level with hard-core "Hawaiian ghetto" kenpo, kick-boxing, judo, and jujutsu. He is a large man, weighing in as a 6'3", 265 lb. 3rd degree black. If we are on it regularly, the boy gets wicked quick. We have spent literally several hundreds of hours over the last 12 years sparring together in different modes (match-style, boxing, kick-boxing, bare-knuckle, judo randori), and have alternately broken each others bones at one point or another. (We train very hard...it is very unpleasant...who can name the source of that quote?). I wouldn't wish him, angry, on people I dislike (nasty temper, that boy). We have had guests join us from many backgrounds in kenpo. He's the guy I sick on people when I'm feeling under the weather, and they want to know what it is we do. We have not been able to get together for a spell (not to mention our modes of training are not family-friendly), so he started at Bob White's not too long back...a kenpo school, known for it's emphasis on sparring skills. Now, giving him some slack because he was a bit rusty from a 2 year layoff...he got his hat handed to him by young guys half his size.

I've known Corey for many years, trained with him, bled with him, and brainstormed with him. He is not an easy man to best. Hat. Handed. Handily. I've seen the guy pissed with gloves off, and there is certainly room for conjecture on changes in outcome dependant on circumstance. But no cop-outs: He didn't have, on that particular Sunday, what it took to stop guys whom he is senior to in years, knowledge, and experience. They were in better shape, faster, and technically more skilled in knocking heads. They got that way by being in classes and training sessions with live, warm bodies. Held to the high standards of an excellent instructor, clanging bones with other men of high calibur, and pressing hard for that next level. Not an experience available through video. Yet certainly one defining -- in my eyes -- of a kenpo mans skill.

For most, I believe in the "Can't spar? Can't fight!" axiom. That having been said, the guys in Doc's crib don't bang around, and one of his brown belts just about put a hole in my chest with a braced check. Again, a specific skill developed under the direct tutelage of watching eyes and correcting hands. Constantly. Doc runs his classes with specfic attention to detail, and guages performance by what he sees, hears, etc. (there's a story in their about the sounds bodies make when thudded in different parts while in different positions). Nothing gets by the guy, and everytime you screw it up, you go back to the beginning and start again. That, I believe, is the principle reason his guys are dangerous without sparring. The detailed, highly held-to product and standards. Outside of that exception, bupkiss.

How can a VCR or DVD provide the hundreds to thousands of hours of contact time that go in to building a solid kenpo black belt?

Maybe it's possible, but I'm not buying it. Haven't seen it yet, and don't believe I will. Someone tagged me on the brownie-point system with a negative karma point, saying I was bloated and some other such crap. That may be true. I've been very lucky. I have grappled with Gracies, kendo'd with Kunashigi's, and Kenpo'd with Parker 1st gens, plus a tad with the old man himself. I expect a lot. I make hard comparisons. I judge harshly, myself as well as others. I just don't believe that the mountain should go to Muhammad in the form of a VHS tape. Mr. Conatser lived in Arizona, yet was a fixture around the Parker household as much as any couch or lamp. If you want to learn kenpo, travel. If you can't or won't, then study something else. It may not be for everybody, and proxemics are essential for the success of any relationship.

As you say, I will not likely change your perspective, nor you mine. Nevertheless, I am glad to have what appears to be a thinking man in the kenpo fold. Perhaps it will mitigate the effects of information water-down.

Journey well,

Crouch.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have had similar discussions with Mr. Parsons on this exact topic in the past. I think we have agreed to disagree. However, in light of this recent posting, I'd like to add some of my experience with IKCA blackbelts, limited as it is.

I attended an IKCA kenpo camp about 8 years ago I believe. When we finally got on to the actual training, I was impressed with how skilled SOME of the blackbelts at the event were. THey moved with fluidity, crispness, and displayed a good working knowledge of the IKCA material. I was sold on the IKCA and the fact that they produced serious blackbelts. However, as I got to talking to the participants, and we compared "sea-stories", it became quite evident that their movement was not derived from the IKCA videos, but actually, most of those I talked too were already blackbelts in EPAK. The guys that were strictly taught through the home study program, displayed knowledge of the material, but the difference between their movement, and that of the EPAK blackbelts was night and day.

Respectfully,
Gary Catherman

OP
bdparsons

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kalicombat said:
I have had similar discussions with Mr. Parsons on this exact topic in the past. I think we have agreed to disagree. However, in light of this recent posting, I'd like to add some of my experience with IKCA blackbelts, limited as it is.

I attended an IKCA kenpo camp about 8 years ago I believe. When we finally got on to the actual training, I was impressed with how skilled SOME of the blackbelts at the event were. THey moved with fluidity, crispness, and displayed a good working knowledge of the IKCA material. I was sold on the IKCA and the fact that they produced serious blackbelts. However, as I got to talking to the participants, and we compared "sea-stories", it became quite evident that their movement was not derived from the IKCA videos, but actually, most of those I talked too were already blackbelts in EPAK. The guys that were strictly taught through the home study program, displayed knowledge of the material, but the difference between their movement, and that of the EPAK blackbelts was night and day.

Respectfully,
Gary Catherman

Hello Gary,

Hope things are well with you and yours.

I can certainly understand why you draw the conclusion you do, based on your own experience; and I also appreciate you clarifying that your experience is limited concerning this subject.

I have clearly stated at the beginning of this post and in other posts that the spectrum of how IKCA members move does vary, as it does in any school environment. What I can say from my own experience is that I've seen folks, entirely taught by video,that move just as well and in at least two cases better than some other folks than came over from other systems. I also have seen some IKCA Black Belts, along with Black Belts from various systems, EPAK included, that couldn't move anywhere near the standard that I personally felt they should be able to move, given their rank. (How's that for a run on?)

It bothers me that your experience has not left you with a better impression of the IKCA. That's unfortunate, but whatcha gonna do? On my behalf, all I can do is tell people of my experience, as you have, and encourage folks to do the research thoroughly if they are even considering a distance learning program. From my experience and the research I've done, the IKCA has the most accountable program out there. But I must once again return to the point that an in-person instructor should always be the first option, as long as they are qualified. (BTW, that's the position of the IKCA as well.) As much disposable income as some folks seem to have, not everyone has the means to avail themselves face-to-face to a qualified instructor. At that point three options remain, don't study at all; study from an unqualified individual; or see if there is any way to get instruction from a qualified instructor via another method, in this case a distance learning program. The latter is not for everybody, but there are those for whom it works and works well. In the final analysis, though, it is what happens on the mat, or in the alley, or in their home with a given individual that counts.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

B

BKing

Hi,

First, I'd like to thank Bill for his inviting everyone to view the IKCA in Action video Clip. Its a nice clip with Chuck Sullivan narrating along with some IKCA members doing their thing. Its well done.

Second, the debate regarding long distance learning will continue "until the cows come home"... so to speak. Some will accept it as a viable option while others will never give it a try. Its ok.

I for one accept the IKCA video testing program as just part of what the organization has to offer. I have been an IKCA member for nearly a decade and have participated and grown from what IKCA has to offer in its entirety, not just video testing. The system itself along with Chuck's philosophy and his take on Mr. Parker's teachings and concepts have benefitted me greatly.

The IKCA is much more than video testing. The membership, the system, the support and personal growth I have gained as a Kenpoist has been a positive and an incredibly enjoyable experience for me.

Thorn in the eye:

I believe if a person seeks to focus and find only the negatived or flawed within a system... they will find the negative or flawed within the system. If thats the focus they will surely find what they are looking for.

Unfortunately, these same people miss the entire picture, the spectrum of what an art or system has to offer.

I have had the fortunate opportunity to meet and/or train with many great Kenpoist: Mr. LeRoux, Mr. Sullivan, Mr. Chap'el, Mr. Planas, Mr. Tatum, Mr. Johanssen, Ms. Tanaka, Mr. Pedersen, Mr. Whitsen, Mr. Muhammad, Mr. Williams, Mr. Rojas, to name just a few.

All have their take on the art. Many have been critized themselves and still some of the listed have done their own share of critizing of others. I guess its the nature of the beast.

When meeting them, I try hard to remove the "thorn in my eye" so that I can see with an open mind when learning from these great kenpoist. I have gain lots from attending their events or having persoanl conversation with them.

Dr. Chap'el is one that I could talk years with. I do enjoy his take on Motion Kenpo and SL4. A bright intelligent man. Never a wasted word.
--------------------------------
But, The system I have chosen to devote years to is IKCA. My personality just happends to fit with what Chuck and Vic have created. Video testing had nothing to do with my decision to work with them. It was the system itself and their teaching philosophy of what Kenpo is and isn't. It clicked with me.

There are many shades of grey within all organizations and systems. IKCA has some really great knowledgeable BB and we also have some that are still walking their path towards personal improvement.

Its an individual experience. Video testing is just a small part of what they do.

IKCA in a vacuum

Every IKCAer I have met, be it here in Europe or in the USA, have had numerous training partners or had a working club or school while going through the system themselves.

Many have been in MA for decades (myself included) before joining IKCA. We joined because of the system. Its functional, alive and IMHO effective as a stand-up self defense system. It works for me as does AK work for others.

I have never met anyone who got a BB in IKCA who trained in a vacuum. Are there IKCAers out there who have gotten a BB this way? I don't know.
-------------------------------
But, I have met several people who have gotten their BB in AK who can only attend seminars (because they work at night or other reasons) and who train once a month or so with an instructor.

They do not train at a club or school. Their knowledge base begins with watching AK videos, training once a month with an instructor and attending Kenpo seminars. Thats ok too. It seems to work for them

I for one needed too train within a school/club system when I went through IKCA white-black. I worked the system everyday. Ground and pound, hitting the mats...etc. Sweat, blood etc.
-----------------------------
All my tests were done both in front of a large group, the traditional way with cameras rolling and a board of BB watching and critiquing. If they decided my test was good enough to submit to the HQ then we mailed it off. If not I'd have to test agin in a few months.

I have enjoyed testing via video, its humbling and educational to see yourself
work the program. I have a rather nice video library of my journey in kenpo.
----------------------------------------------

Finally, thanks again Bill for posting the video clips and for your words of wisdom. For others who do not walk (or run) the IKCA path. I hope you find joy in your adventures in Kenpoland. Life is short. Enjoy.

Tusind Tak,
Brenda

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great Post! IMHO, any who disregard your comments and experience regarding the Karate Connecton are behaving in a closed-minded manner. I've seen a couple of their videos and even I, after years of formal instruction, picke up some great pointers. I think one of their students would have the self-defence edge over a strip mall sport 18 month BB.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Brenda,

Good to see you around again. I'm back after a bit of a hiatus myself.

IKCA material isn't bad at all, and in you, it has a pretty dedicated practicioner. I've been through it myself without going through the testing portion and seen and learned a few things, and I've only been in/at the arts (however you interpret that) for 43 years or so. :ultracool

BTW ... Got sidetracked and forgot to send you your holiday Cheeseburger and Coke this year. :)

Happy belated holidays.

Dan