If you can break 'em, you should be able to fix 'em...

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
*If the Mods think this would be better suited in the Healing Arts section, feel free to move it*

I'm just wondering how many of you have, as part of your curriculum / training programs, healing or restorative arts and techniques? Whether it be kappo, Qi Gong, Shiatsu, Tui Na, Nei Gong, Traditional Chinese Medicine, etc. Who else practices the philosphy that "If you know how to break them, you should be able to fix them"?

I know many people practice them separately, but I'm interested in others' views on the relationship between the destructive techniques and the healing techniques, and should they be taught to compliment each other? The Yin/Yang if you will?......

For example...Judo plays a big role in the Daishizen Goju Ryu curriculum, so kappo resucitation is natural taught. Shiatsu and Tui Na are also present for therapeutic massage. And Qi Gong and Tai Chi instruction for physical restoration and longevity.

Any and all replies are appreciated.

Respects,:asian:

Frank

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say no, I mean you pick up little things on how to fix your bumps and twists along the way, but I disagree with making healing arts a part of a martial arts curriculum.

I think it's a good idea to know, but that goes for anyone, a frist aid course is always a good idea.

As for "traditional" healing methods, again, I would much prefer someone interested seek out someone that is a professional in that field.

I don't know about down there in the States, but I assume things work simmilar, up here if you get certified with First Aid or CPR you get insurance coverage if you try to help someone with it. I imagine this is trickier with traditional arts, and unless someone specifically knows what they are and asks for treatement with them it just seems like opening a can of worms best left closed....

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a great thread. It really got me thinking of the balance of life... The In and Yo (Yin/Yang). Several things flashed through my mind such as our Soke's words regarding the ability of the sword to give life as well as take life (my interpretation), or the fact that we must find balance between the things that comprise our lives (including training).

This could also extend to how we train as well. If we were to take this concept further, instead of breaking them, subdue them or stop them without damaging them (relatively). Another words, can one use their art to stop an attacker and save them as well? This may be yet another level of this balance. In essence, being like the sword.

Just some thoughts I am throwing out there.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
This could also extend to how we train as well. If we were to take this concept further, instead of breaking them, subdue them or stop them without damaging them (relatively).

That I will agree too. A "complete" martial art is not just about learning weapons, striking & grappling and calling it a day, it's about being able to deal with different levels of force, and respond with different levels of force.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though my instructor doesn't practice traditional healing arts (that I know of) he is also a PT and repairs/patches up students on a regular basis. To Andrew's point, he doesn't make it widely known and will seldom (depending on the student) give any other advise than "See your doctor" after he does whatever he has to do to get them back on their feet. The exposure to a law suit may be too tempting for some.

IMO, based on discussions with him and my own observations, such knowledge is just as beneficial from a preventative standpoint. The more indepth knowledge you have regarding the body's mechanics, both internally and externally, the better your chances of avoiding damage in the first place.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is a fabulous thread!

Our teaching team is required to have training in CPR / First Aid, Healing Touch and some Theraputic Massage in order to work with the dings we all get when training intensely. We give the students rudimentary restoration techniques to use when they've tweaked their partner.

As far as liability goes. Every student signs a waiver before setting foot on the mat. Waivers aren't a guarantee but they can help.

Personally, I also carry a $1,000,000 umbrella policy above and beyond all the other insurance ... it's surprisingly affordable.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great thread Frank. Unfortunately no. I can only teach what I know and that's something I've never had the opportunity to learn. The best I can do at this point is send my guys and gals down the road to the massage therapist. Just another thing for you and the rest of the Daishizen Druids to start teaching me the next time I'm out. ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am also certified in CPR and first aid - but there is no discussion of healing beyond prevention (proper stretching, sufficient hydration, etc., as examples). I do not have the knowledge necessary, nor, in this litigious age, would I be willing to provide anything beyond first aid and a suggestion to see a doctor if necessary.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My Yang style teacher was also an old school Southern Chinese TCM person, he followed a Sifu for Tai Chi and he followed a different Sifu for TCM, he can break and fix.

I do agree with what you are saying here, and I do know basic first aid, but I do not teach it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school doesn't teach this, but I'm personally in to the healing arts.

There is a lot that can be healed with nothing more a gentle, caring touch. :asian:

Calm Intention

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
*Who else practices the philosphy that "If you know how to break them, you should be able to fix them"?

*I know many people practice them separately, but I'm interested in others' views on the relationship between the destructive techniques and the healing techniques, and should they be taught to compliment each other? The Yin/Yang if you will?

Thumbs up Frank!! This should be a pinned topic front and center for all.

I've mentioned in another thread about my concern about dojos turning out monsters to the streets, because the teacher doesn't recognize(or chooses not too) their students character.
Possibly if 'healing arts' were the initial curriculum all martial arts instruction, it could serve to weed out those who were in a hurry to become destruction machines.

I'm also a believer in what may be paticular to Aikido philosophy, and the idea that the highest level to achieve would be to neutralize without destroying-- so I 100% agree with your concern about the yin and yang of things.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We (meaning those who train with me) feel that you should be able to create as much pleasure to the body as you can create pain. This can be fun if you are single, but wonderful if your married.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been exposed to this, but if its learned from a legit source, I see nothing wrong with doing it, if it'll help someone. At the very least, I think it would be good for people to be First Aid/CPR certified.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the older days...I knew a few martial artist who were able to practice healing. It came with there training from there masters. A lot of people would seek those people out for help,and the doctors.

Today it would be better to be professional train first. If you decide this is an area you want to get in, beside the martial arts. Healing was a part of lots of arts. One touch? ...

First aid is good to know and CPR too......never know it may happen in class.....Aloha

Wes Tasker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No matter what art my students study from me, healing arts are taught right alongside. I'm a Massage Therapist and I've been training in Tui Na for the past year and a half. My students learn rudimentary general massage skills, tui na protocols for common injuries, recussitation, liniment use and making, internal hit formulas, a couple of basic herbal tonics, and some basic bone sets. I feel the healing arts are very important to learn as a martial artist and each informs the other. Besides, if you workout hard, it's good stuff to have around.

-wes tasker

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does my Sensei learning massage count? Slightly off topic. Every so often I see him doing some drill that half looks like Wing Chun (he is cross training in it) and half looks like a massage thing. So I say to him "So, I see you're practicing your Massage Kung Fu".

John

Latest Discussions