If the Professor didn't like Twirling, How come He was so good at it?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have gotten the impression from some that the Professor didn't like twirling/Carenza.

I had a different impression because of his personal reaction when he saw me shadow boxing (I didn't know he was watching) .

Check him out. The man was awesome!!!

Thanks to Brian R. VanCise for finding the clips in this thread.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No doubt that he was very, very good at it!
icon14.gif

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw him twirl double sticks once at a camp and he certainly made it look easy.
He never mentioned one way or the other to me whether he liked it or didn't like it.
Once when I was practicing twirling he stopped me and asked me to practice a drill he had recently showed me instead.
I was never sure if he stopped me because he didn't like twirling or if he just wanted to see if I had gotten the new drill down that he showed me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Twirling is good.

It serves a purpose. It is nice to watch and preserves some of the hidden technique aspects.

GM Remy never told me he never liked it. But as more time went by, he seemed to twirl less. Not out of disfavor, but more out of I believe his personal health as he got older and stiffer. He could still do it no questions asked he just did not concentrate on it as much.

From what I have seen, if one enjoyed the twirling and did it good for them. If another person wanted not to concentrate on it that was good as well. If they knew the basics of twirling it was a good thing.

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can see the mental effect it can have on a potential opponent, but I seem to agree with the professor that you shouldn’t set a side time just to practice it. You'll lose the meaning of why you twirl the way you do. Personally I don't think it's very important in a Modern Arnis curriculum.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, RP like twirling. He appropriated it from Cacoy Canete and introduced it into Modern Arnis. I, however, am not fond of twirling. Cest le vie.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im not trying to be difficult, but what is the difference between twirling and practicing your strikes so that they flow frome one to the next?

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Doblete (twirling) is a style unto itself, prevalent in many FMA. Many people know the basic patterns, but do not understand the various applications in each separate movement.

Doblete Rapelon is a style that GM Mena learned from his father and expanded upon. It teaches 52 forms almost totally dedicated to "twirling".

-Rich Acosta

Darkmoon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I didn't think anyone had paid so much attention to it to name or even practice it. WOW

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
GM Mena was from Ilo-Ilo and this art had been passed down in his family.

It is one of my favorite styles. A practitioner of Doblete Rapelon can counter Doble Baston and Espada y Daga using just a single stick.

GM Mena's art is most formidable when utilizing an Itak (sword).

-Rich Acosta

Latest Discussions