If its not one thing...its another! Grrr

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just came back from the chiropractor...

I was having issues yesterday with my neck...I knew there was a problem so I made the appt...I have a pinched nerve!!! At least I have the rest of today to recover, not sure how much this will affect training this week :(

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
been there done that, got the everlasting pain for life.

did you have a ruptured disc? or just pinched? anti inflammatories work, but no immediate effects are felt. keep taking them.

I have a herniated disc. Never goes away. sometimes hurts for a few days or weeks, then goes away. (I refuse surgery, theyll make it worse)

Bextra and Viox worked the best for me.... but I dont think they are allwed anymore. damn...

Take it easy, take the NSAID's they gave you, and try not to agravate it.

I found if I laid on my back in the bed, and let my head hang slightly off the bed, it pulled the vertibre apart and relieved the pain. and i could relax and take a nap for a while. Hard to type it down and explain it, but basically the weight of your head pulls your neck a little and feels good.

Of course not the WHOLE head hangs off, just the edge of the mattress on the base where the neck and head meet. NOT the neck, your head is on the edge. If its too painful, dont do it. just an idea. usually works for me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I feel your pain, too... not in the neck though. I have chronic back pain. Although, unlike d1jinx, I'm looking forward to disc replacement someday. When they perfect this surgery, it's going to improve quality of life for millions of people like us. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can sympathize. Get adjustments, get a massage or 3, and see an acupuncturist if it lingers. (couple threads in the health area on them btw)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a herniated disc. Never goes away. sometimes hurts for a few days or weeks, then goes away. (I refuse surgery, theyll make it worse)

I found if I laid on my back in the bed, and let my head hang slightly off the bed, it pulled the vertibre apart and relieved the pain. and i could relax and take a nap for a while. Hard to type it down and explain it, but basically the weight of your head pulls your neck a little and feels good.

Of course not the WHOLE head hangs off, just the edge of the mattress on the base where the neck and head meet. NOT the neck, your head is on the edge. If its too painful, dont do it. just an idea. usually works for me.

I have a bulging disk which is a less severe version of the condition you have, d1jinx. Do you have a preventative regimen to keep the pain outbreaks at bay? I've been using yoga therapy with very good success.

Malleus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I actually damaged my lower back in a fight, then compounded the injury a few days later carting new weights home. Got a lumbar disectomy about 4 years ago. It's basically perfect now, the odd time I get altered sensation in my left upper calf, usually after doing crunches.

Personally I'd recommend the surgery, but there are some risks and it depends on how much impairment you have. NSAIDS, yoga and acupuncture will only be palliative.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got a similar issue. Nerved so badly pnched it was causing spasms down my arm and nu mbness in my right thumb.

Adjusted my weight training to better target my shoulders/neck. Getting rugluar chiro. Also got a travction devicde. It looks like one of those whiplash collars, but it has a couple of inflatable air bladders. It'll gently stretch my neck and alleviate some of the discomfort. USed to use it a couple of times a day. That along with the other therapies really helped and a year later I'm pain free and most of the numbness is gone.

Peace,
Erik

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hang in there Shelley. I have osteo in my lower back so not only are the nerves pinched but the disks are bone on bone that has its own pain. I also have two bad knees that have both had surgery and TKD is bad for someone with two bad knees and osteoarthitis in the back. All the jumps and spins just kill me.

Now here is the kicker for me. I am allergic to all NSAIDS (for those that don't know what this is just look it up). I just have to bite down hard and bare the pain, any pain.

The things we do for the love of our Art.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
been doing this routine for 2 years now.

Get cold, get over cold, plan on training, something comes up, get cold, get over cold and so on....

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a bulging disk which is a less severe version of the condition you have, d1jinx. Do you have a preventative regimen to keep the pain outbreaks at bay? I've been using yoga therapy with very good success.

You know, It use to hurt like hell at first. I dont think it was that severe, cause It wont heal itself and will only get worse over time. The Dr. told me that I would eventually either deal with it or get it fixed. Something about the whole going through the front of your neck and fusing 2 bones together scared me. Especially when peoples heads seem to always lean to one side afterward... FOREVER!!!!

So to answer your question, NO. I dont do anything special. But I do know if I do certain things, it hurts like hell the next day.

Diving board, which I love by the way, usually causes me to regret it for weeks after. Flips and gymnastic stuff, depending on how I land. Absolutley no more wrestling/grappling/horseplay involving grabbing or pulling on my neck. Not that I ever did it other than self defense or horse play. Those days are over.

I can usually tell when its gonna act up because behind my left ear starts to feel achey and when i rotate my head, the normal clicking/cracking isnt there. yeah... i know... im screwed up.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Now here is the kicker for me. I am allergic to all NSAIDS (for those that don't know what this is just look it up). I just have to bite down hard and bare the pain, any pain...

WOW. At one time I was having issues and the alergist said I was allergic to them too. I didnt know how I would survive, I was taking 2 alieve a day because of my neck, and everything else hurting. When they told me I had to stop, they found an alternate but now I forget what it was. I stopped taking the NSAIDs, but found out that wasnt it (what i was allergic too). but it did get me too stop relying on them. Now I only take something if its the end of the world.

Go figure, some people are addicted to percocet and REAL drugs, I was addicted to alieve!:shrug:

Have they suggested an alternative? what happens if you take them?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got a similar issue. Nerved so badly pnched it was causing spasms down my arm and nu mbness in my right thumb.

Adjusted my weight training to better target my shoulders/neck. Getting rugluar chiro. Also got a travction devicde. It looks like one of those whiplash collars, but it has a couple of inflatable air bladders. It'll gently stretch my neck and alleviate some of the discomfort. USed to use it a couple of times a day. That along with the other therapies really helped and a year later I'm pain free and most of the numbness is gone.

Peace,
Erik

yeah had one of those, that was what i was thinking of, except i do the poor man version now and hang my head off the bed. But thats it, A traction device. Same deal, did it for a year or 2 and now it dont hurt all the time. just when i do something stupid.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shelly hang in there and have a couple of mix drinks and it will be alright.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
WOW. At one time I was having issues and the alergist said I was allergic to them too. I didnt know how I would survive, I was taking 2 alieve a day because of my neck, and everything else hurting. When they told me I had to stop, they found an alternate but now I forget what it was. I stopped taking the NSAIDs, but found out that wasnt it (what i was allergic too). but it did get me too stop relying on them. Now I only take something if its the end of the world.

Go figure, some people are addicted to percocet and REAL drugs, I was addicted to alieve!:shrug:

Have they suggested an alternative? what happens if you take them?
Yeah, I go into anaphylaxis if I take them. Even one will most likely kill me if I don't have epinephrine to take to counter act it.

The alternative stuff is the addictive stuff (narcotics) so I really don't want to take them. I can take Tylenol but that is like taking a sugar pill, does nothing at all.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know you hate hearing this Shelley but, take it easy & follow your doctor's advice. If you want a second opinion, get one. Healing up from an injury isn't magic any more than a good side kick is....they both take time.:mst:

I'm just coming back from 2 years worth of recovering from injuries. I know it's no fun.

You're in my prayers for a quick recovery!

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

Well I do have a couple of bulging discs in my neck that flare up from time to time, Im not sure what caused the pinched nerve this time though...this is just on top of all my other problems too :(

If you must know...here is a rundown of all or most of my issues...

Osteoarthritis (Knees)
Rheumatoid arthritis (hands and hips)
nearly daily low migraine headaches that will over time require me to go on Imatrix
plantar fascitis (had surgery for it)
Mortons Neuroma (had 2 surgeries for this...recovering from 2nd right now)
spinal stenosis
asthma
horrible year round seasonal and environmental allergies
allergic to about 85% of all antibiotics

These are just the major issues I deal with on a daily basis :(

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

Well I do have a couple of bulging discs in my neck that flare up from time to time, Im not sure what caused the pinched nerve this time though...this is just on top of all my other problems too :(

Osteoarthritis (Knees)
nearly daily low migraine headaches that will over time require me to go on Imatrix
spinal stenosis
asthma

Wow! More power to ya, my friend. I'm truly impressed that you step on the mat. THAT is Indomitable Spirit!!!!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

Osteoarthritis (Knees)
spinal stenosis
asthma

Unless that is a picture of your daughter up there, you look way too young for all of that!

I can relate to the allergies, though mine are mostly nuisance factor. I am not allergic to antibiotics, but medicines really do not work very well for me.

Hope you're feeling better today.

Daniel

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
:) Thanks for the compliment...Yes thats me in the avi :) I have a youthful face!

Latest Discussions