I was promoted to Ni-Kyu tonight!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been studying Isshin-Ryu for just over three years now, and I've been a San-Kyu for 14 months. Tonight, I did not know I was going to be tested for promotion. The requirement is time in grade and Kusanku kata, which I am still struggling with.

However, I had to dodge Sensei's attacks with focus pads, then I sparred with two of our larger members (didn't do too badly, did get hip-thrown once, dang, but I threw some nice kicks), then I got called up in front of the dojo and asked to perform Kusanku. I flubbed it. Sensei let me start again, and I staggered through it somehow. I figured I blew it, but no problem, I knew there would always be another time.

However, Sensei fooled me; he drew up the Dan line and had us all kneel and called up several people to be promoted; including me. You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Anyway, I'm tired and sore. It is definitely going to be a Motrin night. Just wanted to share with my friends.

I figure maybe a year and some being Ni-Kyu, then a year or so of Ik-Kyu, then perhaps I might even earn my Sho-Dan. Possibly by the time I'm 55. That's my goal, anyway.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bet you'll see shodan well before 55 if you keep up your getting hit on the head lessons :D

Hearty Congratulations! :partyon:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats awesome Bill! Congrats!!!:ultracool

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you Bill. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing and making us a part of your adventure to black belt.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done my friend :applause:. I am proud for you :bows:.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats to you, Bill! And enjoy every memory all along the journey.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats to you!!

Also, thanks for keeping us posted. I know for me, I enjoy hearing about your progress. You are one of the few people on MT that I have come to respect (even if it is online interaction only and we don't always agree. lol). May God continue to bless you on your journey!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats! Sometimes our failure speaks more to our character than our brains are willing to admit!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations on your achievement! You've set an admirable goal. The best part is, even if you fall short, you still win!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations Bill. Not bad, for an Old Fart(tm)... :)