I was promoted to Ik-Kyu tonight

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been promoted to Ik-Kyu, 1st Degree Brown Belt, the last stop before Shodan, the 1st Degree Black Belt in our system (Isshin-Ryu). I've been a Ni-Kyu for a year and change, and I've worked very hard to get here. I am very tired and sore, but I wanted to share my joy. Thanks for all the support all of you have offered me over the last five years since I started my martial arts journey.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been promoted to Ik-Kyu, 1st Degree Brown Belt, the last stop before Shodan, the 1st Degree Black Belt in our system (Isshin-Ryu). I've been a Ni-Kyu for a year and change, and I've worked very hard to get here. I am very tired and sore, but I wanted to share my joy. Thanks for all the support all of you have offered me over the last five years since I started my martial arts journey.

Congratulations! I bet you can smell shodan now. I always felt that sweet sense of anticipation at that rank because I was so close to a long term goal.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Bill. I have no doubt it's a well deserved promotion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done! It's so good when your hard work is rewarded.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bill, for keeping us in the loop pertaining to your training over the years. Not only is it a testimony to you and your perseverance, but it goes a long way in allowing others here on MT a glimpse into the/your, journey to Black Belt.

Congratulations.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent! Good for you!

What was the test like?

Well, in many ways it was not like promotions at other dojos. Sensei has been watching and 'testing' all along, so to speak. At various times, he has pulled myself and the other student who was promoted last night aside and had us do kata for him, offered corrections, told us what we need to work on, and so on. A few weeks ago, he told us to pull down the Ik-Kyu written test from our dojo's website and do the test, which we did, so we both knew it was coming. When it came down to last evening, we were each called up to the front of the class where the Dan ranks were sitting, and we performed several kata, received constructive criticism, and sat down again. Then we were called up together, were promoted to Ik-Kyu, and did the formal bow and shake hands thing.

However, it's not always the same, and it can differ by person. We had a young man recently promoted to Shodan, and his test was a bit more involved. It all depends. But mostly, Sensei says he is always testing, always grading, and he knows when we are ready. Makes sense to me. My kata last night was not spot-on, for example, but he knows I can do better and have done better in front of him. So it's all good.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, Bill!

A few weeks ago, he told us to pull down the Ik-Kyu written test from our dojo's website and do the test, which we did, so we both knew it was coming. When it came down to last evening, we were each called up to the front of the class where the Dan ranks were sitting, and we performed several kata, received constructive criticism, and sat down again. Then we were called up together, were promoted to Ik-Kyu, and did the formal bow and shake hands thing.

I like this.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yay mate! Chuffed to bits for you :thumbsup:.

{That's English for "very pleased" by the way :D}.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yay mate! Chuffed to bits for you :thumbsup:.

{That's English for "very pleased" by the way :D}.

I keep hearing about this "English" stuff... :)

So here's this for you:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: A little Steam Punk shining through there :D.