I swallowed my foot in the middle east

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went to Iraq in 2003 Aug-Oct. I was at an American air base, (Tallil just north of Basra), which was great cos they bring everything! Washing machines, gyms, self help stores with wood etc to build stuff, even pizza hut and burger king. It was great. Anyway, I was over there for the anniversary of 9/11. Not really realising the date I went into the American mess tent. I noted how it was filled with sparkly banners, etc, and a big cake. Once again, I didnt have any recollection of the date. I said in a rather loud voice 'Who's birthday is it?'. I can still see the look of contempt from the marine with an M16 and grenade launcher who was passing by at the time. Talk about egg on my face!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I went to Iraq in 2003 Aug-Oct. I was at an American air base, (Tallil just north of Basra), which was great cos they bring everything! Washing machines, gyms, self help stores with wood etc to build stuff, even pizza hut and burger king. It was great. Anyway, I was over there for the anniversary of 9/11. Not really realising the date I went into the American mess tent. I noted how it was filled with sparkly banners, etc, and a big cake. Once again, I didnt have any recollection of the date. I said in a rather loud voice 'Who's birthday is it?'. I can still see the look of contempt from the marine with an M16 and grenade launcher who was passing by at the time. Talk about egg on my face!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man. How embarrassing that must have been! But what a good story :D

Thanks for your service :asian:

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, everyone eats foot from time to time. 'Cept for me cuz I'm perfect. :rolleyes:

Cake and sparklies does seem like an odd way to mark the date though, especially when it's as fresh as Year Two.

OP
S

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the oddness was possibly the reason I never thought about the cause.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score

This is going to sound like an odd question, but for the pizza hut and burger king, did you have to pay for it or did Uncle Sam pick up the bill?

Aurum

White Belt
Reaction score
So you got kicked for the comment?

Well, to be honest I find it very frustrating and am not sure if I could maintain my calm at that time, I'm still not very tolerant and that's one of my flaws. I mean, getting kicked for not knowing what day it was? What's more, I never liked the concept of feeling offended in the name of our country. If someone offends my country, I personally don't care, It's their opinion and my name isn't Portugal anyway.

I don't really think It's something worth getting kicked for and I would likely hit the person back, but of course if I understood well, you're in the army, so things are quite different. I mean, if I remember correctly, disrespecting the flag can get you in jail even.

My uncle went to jail for turning against a General once, maybe this intolerance of such situations runs in the family.

Thanks for sharing this story and excuse my inexperienced reaction. :)

Latest Discussions