'I Pledge to serve Obama....'

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least that's what these tools are doing......

Since when did the citizens of the United States SERVE the President?

Papa Doc Barrack indeed......'I pledge to be a servant to our President.....' Scary lines, couched in the notion that they're talking about community service (if so, then WHY the homage to Obama?).....book-ended by Iconic paintings of Obama in Heroic pose!

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least that's what these tools are doing......

Since when did the citizens of the United States SERVE the President?

Papa Doc Barrack indeed......'I pledge to be a servant to our President.....' Scary lines, couched in the notion that they're talking about community service (if so, then WHY the homage to Obama?).....book-ended by Iconic paintings of Obama in Heroic pose!

"Change" is scary! :lfao:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Change is scary! :lfao:
I bet you didn't even look at the video, your knee just jerked out of habit.

'You're just....afraid of change....yeah.......you should be ready to be assimilated.......but you're just....afraid' :lfao:

So what do you Pledge to your Supreme Leader Papa Doc Barrack?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You're like the guy swearing the titanic's not going down, the ship is unsinkable. ;)

No-far, far from it. I'm the one swearing the ship's going down-saw the iceberg(s) quite some time ago, and I built my own damn lifeboat, because the Captain, crew and most of my fellow passengers think I'm nuts....:lfao:

I bet you didn't even look at the video, your knee just jerked out of habit....do you pledge? ;)

You'd be wrong-watched it right up to the bicep-kissing idiot's I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama.

"Change is scary."

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
No-far, far from it. I'm the one swearing the ship's going down-saw the iceberg(s) quite some time ago, and I built my own damn lifeboat, because the Captain, crew and most of my fellow passengers think I'm nuts....:lfao:
You and I are in agreement, then......this ship has been heading in the wrong direction for quite some time!

You'd be wrong-watched it right up to the bicep-kissing idiot's I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama.

"Change is scary."
Brain dead tools like those clowns are far scarier than change. ;)

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a fairly mindless and scary 4:18. I would't worry too much, though, about some feel-good soundbite put together by a group of celebrities. Glad to see that Demi Moore's still hot though. :p

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a fairly mindless and scary 4:18. I would't worry too much, though, about some feel-good soundbite put together by a group of celebrities. Glad to see that Demi Moore's still hot though. :p

Still hot and still vacuous.

As to worrying....I wouldn't worry, if this video wasn't more of the same kind of messianic worshipping behavior we have seen even among the NEWS MEDIA!

This isn't isolated, this is a trend....and criticism of it is USUALLY followed by the charge that anyone who DISAGREES is 'hateful' and 'IN THE WAY'!

It's a CULT! It's as if L. RON HUBBARD were elected PRESIDENT!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still hot and still vacuous.

As to worrying....I wouldn't worry, if this video wasn't more of the same kind of messianic worshipping behavior we have seen even among the NEWS MEDIA!

This isn't isolated, this is a trend....and criticism of it is USUALLY followed by the charge that anyone who DISAGREES is 'hateful' and 'IN THE WAY'!

It's a CULT! It's as if L. RON HUBBARD were elected PRESIDENT!

I don't think of it as a cult so much as the usual mania that follows something historic...which Obama's election to the Presidency was. Couple that with the fact that it's right on the heels of the end of one of the worst presidencies since Nixon, and there's a sense of euphoria.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rolling my eyes at this kind of messianic stuff as well, but it too shall pass. I don't think it's going to result in any rights-infringing cults, just short-sighted celebration by celebrities that have no clue.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Quite so - most especially on the latter point :D. Indeed, waiting for Demi to come back on was the most affecting part of the whole thing for me. Well that and my natural reaction of "Oh for crying out loud! He's a new president, not the last of the Jedi".

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I threw up in my mouth a little. If they do the same bangup job for Obama that they did for Hollywood, the man is doomed.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um ... I'm half-way through the video and I see celebrities pledging to be responsible citizens ... will continue watching to the end, though.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think of it as a cult so much as the usual mania that follows something historic...which Obama's election to the Presidency was. Couple that with the fact that it's right on the heels of the end of one of the worst presidencies since Nixon, and there's a sense of euphoria.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rolling my eyes at this kind of messianic stuff as well, but it too shall pass. I don't think it's going to result in any rights-infringing cults, just short-sighted celebration by celebrities that have no clue.
I see it as a little more serious than that.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um ... I'm half-way through the video and I see celebrities pledging to be responsible citizens ... will continue watching to the end, though.

Okay, let me know when you get to the part where they 'Pledge to be servants to the President....' and everyone turns in to a Giant picture of Obama. ;)

The 'Public Service' stuff is just window dressing.......it's VERY THINLY veiled Cult of Personality Propaganda.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah! Finally found it! Who's the dude who kissed his biceps?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

My inner Chris Rock is saying, "You're SUPPOSED to be a responsible citizen, you low-expectation-having so-n-so!" But I guess fairweather patriots are better than no patriots at all.

Oh, wait, this isn't patriotism - they're pledging their loyalty to a MAN.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite so - most especially on the latter point :D. Indeed, waiting for Demi to come back on was the most affecting part of the whole thing for me. Well that and my natural reaction of "Oh for crying out loud! He's a new president, not the last of the Jedi".

Last of the JEDI! :jediduel:

:D

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
My inner Chris Rock is saying, "You're SUPPOSED to be a responsible citizen, you low-expectation-having so-n-so!" But I guess fairweather patriots are better than no patriots at all.

Oh, wait, this isn't patriotism - they're pledging their loyalty to a MAN.

EXACTLY! It should be obvious when it pans back away from the individuals, to what i'm EXPECTING is an image of America formed by those individuals.....but WAIT! It's a GIANT PAINTING OF........OBAMA!!!!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

I guess these folks have replaced 'DISSENT IS PATRIOTISM!' with 'IF YOU'RE NOT WITH US YOU'RE AGAINST OBAMA, LOVE AND AMERICA!' eeekkk

......and it TRULY begins.....

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well ... hm.

First off, I think it's really great that people are inspired to get off their asses and do something that is the key to positive change in our country and ultimately the world - by giving service.

The whole "rally behind the president" isn't new, in fact it was practically demanded by the republican right, especially when we went to war. "We need to get behind our president and support him in this!" I heard ringing ... oh hell, even right on these forums. And to read that folks throw up at doing so for Obama, well, that's just stupid partyism and doesn't even deserve addressing anymore.

I have to say I have respect for all those with big names and big money who did these things anyway, regardless of who held office - but again, whatever it takes to inspire a person to move their duff, well ... so be it. I noticed the obvious absence of celebs like Michael J. Fox whose cause is Parkinsons, Brangelina whose causes are ending world poverty and taking on some population excess, Ted Danson who has been campaigning for oceanic health since before it was popular, Doug Flutie et al whose cause is autism awareness (before it was well known), Nancy Reagan whose cause was addiction awareness, etc. etc. etc.

I think the president is in service to US. But it is a two-way street. By being of service to others in need, we're all in service to each other AND ourselves. Can't get beyond that.

This instance of Obamasianism comes from celebrity, not him. So blame Hollywood for this one.

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
This instance of Obamasianism comes from celebrity, not him. So blame Hollywood for this one.
Oh no.....hold the phone.....he's fostered this messianic image from the very beginning....the 'Hope is on the WAY' stuff was ALL him, and he was referring to HIMSELF as 'The Hope'.......he doesn't get a pass on this stuff.

You CANNOT find a President in US history worshipped in this manner BEFORE HE WAS EVEN INAUGURATED! Not even Washington, the hero of the Revolution!

The only parallel we find to the kind of 'ICONIC MURALS OF HIS FACE ON THE SIDE OF BUILDINGS' cult of personality stuff are in 3rd world DICTATORS!

texas3.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a quick aside, as a general reminder to people before things get hot.

We can, I'm sure, discuss this without it turning into yet another Democrat-Republican slang-fest.

What would be of help in this is for people to take a second to consider what they have written before they post it. A modicum of rephrasing is all it takes to head-off a flame-gasm sometimes.

Latest Discussions