I hate the casual Mac user

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol...now this is for the casual Mac usuer.

I hate you all!!
They always swear that Mac's are so great and all over pc's and swear that Mac's are the way to go. These people kill me!! All they do is write a paper and surf the net and don't mind paying over $2000 for it! What idiots.

Now dont get me wrong...Mac's look nice and all but now way in the world would I replace my pc for a Mac. Now granted if you graphic and art work then fine...but if all you are doing is surfing the net and and typing a few papers here and there.....please stop yappin that Mac's are so much better.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!
Sorry for my soapbox...im just really hating Mac's and the casual "i wanna look cool" Mac user.

And iTunes is terrible!!!

:soapbox:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, well, in the high tech world we have a term for Mac aficionados -

...unemployed :lfao:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol...now this is for the casual Mac usuer.

I hate you all!!
They always swear that Mac's are so great and all over pc's and swear that Mac's are the way to go. These people kill me!! All they do is write a paper and surf the net and don't mind paying over $2000 for it! What idiots.

Now dont get me wrong...Mac's look nice and all but now way in the world would I replace my pc for a Mac. Now granted if you graphic and art work then fine...but if all you are doing is surfing the net and and typing a few papers here and there.....please stop yappin that Mac's are so much better.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!
Sorry for my soapbox...im just really hating Mac's and the casual "i wanna look cool" Mac user.

And iTunes is terrible!!!

:soapbox:

I use Macs professionally because of their (accessible) unix core and extremely easy interface between the desktop applications (including stuff like Adobe Acrobat), and the unix text formatting applications, including production-grade mathematical typesetting, that run effortlessly no matter how complex your graphics files or the other processes you're running in the background. I had a Toshiba a while back that I rigged as a Linux box, and it was like pulling teeth—my own teeth, sans anæsthetic, come to think of it—to get the various applications to shake hands. For various purposes on campus, where I can't use my own machine, I have to use these Windows machines with their desperate and hopeless Mac-emulation/wannabe interfaces, and am reminded every time I do that just why I am happy to have the chance to pay exhorbitant amounts for Mac machines on the rare occasions when I have to replace them.

And just in passing, I don't know any `casual' Mac users. Most everyone I know who uses a Mac uses it for high-level targets. I published a book a little more than a year ago which involved complex mathematical typesetting and formatting, way beyond anything MS's pathetic equation editor can do, and all of which I did on my Mac laptop and supplied to the academic publishing house my contract was with, and for most of the people I know who are on Macs, inside or outside of academe, this kind of use is par for the course. I've yet to meet any Mac users who use their machines as electronic toys.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh, that Microsoft sucks! Anything but those dang fool Microsoft OS's! We must rid ourselves of those swine! They have done more than any other company to step on advancement of computer technology!

I follow Richard Stallman. He will lead us to Freedom if we but follow Him! I even belong to his Free Software Foundation! I am an associate member!

I have tried, tried, to wean my Mother off of that Microsoft nonsense, but she will not listen to me.

I want only the very best software on my machines, that is why I choose the GNU/Linux environment for desktops (ubuntu for ease of use and to so that I can have it at the ready if any new users wish to try it, I can help them to do what they want with their machines by showing them exactly how I did it -- and Arch on my Toshiba Satellite laptop for going about town and such and showing off!)

Now, I use the OpenBSD for my firewall. That's right. You ping me, you do not ping my modem, no. You ping my freaking NIC!

Regarding the Macintosh, that's the best thing that they have ever done is to make use of the UNIX, the BSD. That's right. That is the glory of academia! Berkley Software! It was done The Right Way™, and thanks to them the tcp/ip stack is open. Thank goodness! Microsoft can eat it! I hate them! They wish to monopolize everything. I wish people would just see it and avoid them!

Anything but that horrible piece of $$$$$$$$$$$$. I would rather any person upgrade to AT LEAST Macintosh. That is a step up. And the hardware, from what I am told, is very high end. You get what you pay for when you purchase their hardware.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score

all i need now is Creative, ATI, and game support for FreeBSD and ill be happy

should i hold my breath?? haha

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol@Carol

Exile & NewGuy...I can respect that. For someone who can sit and explain WHY they prefer a Mac and lists real reason as opposed to superficial one's then I have no quarrel with. I wish more users were the same way.

There are LOADS of casual Mac users who only see it as an entertainment toy. I mean in this generation people want something that is new and cool and that to them is what a Mac represent. These poeple have no clue of how to install a driver or zip a file without someone holding their hand but will sit and tell you how great a Mac is. Here are some reason that I hear...

1. "It looks cool and has a big screen!"
2. "They don't get the viruses and spyware that pc's get"
3. "I had a laptop for a year and now it is messed up...unlike my Mac which works fine all the time!"
4. "It's photo programs are better than pc photo programs"

Trust me those are just some of the lame excuses I hear from casual users who dont mind dropping all that money down for a mac and have no problem admitting that they only surf the net, listen to music, and may type a few documents on it.

Idiots

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had Apple not given so many computers to schools and so many sweetheart deals to teachers and teacher's unions, the Mac would have gone the way of the BETAMAX long ago.
Macs don't keep Apple alive, Ipods and Iphones do.
I hate Mac users for the same reason I hate any selfrighteous person who has an overblown opinion of themself.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want out of the Micro$oft world, however I can't afford to re buy all the stuff I need to switch to mac (I have 2 mini's). I'd go Linux in a minute, except Photoshop and Dreamweaver aren't available in native mode, and there are no Linux equivilents with the functionality I need unfortunately.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've used Mac since 1989, I've used PC since 1981.
And um, #2 on that list is pretty damned nice.

I'm a graphics professional. I use 4 Macs, and 1 PC (to test out crap on Internet Exploder, the most unprofessional piece of crap web browser out there, that still is non-complient with WC3). Btw, the Mac I have? Is a PC, it's Intel inside, the only difference is that it's made by Apple, oh, and it's OS doesn't crash randomly... er wait... ever.

I realize that the 'casual' Mac user may irritate, but so does the casual PC user. A moron is a moron, regardless of what brand of Computer they drive.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That last point there is the one that counts more than any other.

Yes there are users with money who have a MAC because it was trendy to have a non-beige-box computer and it is true that such people can grate ... but it's not their owning a MAC that causes the iritation.

Micro$oft driven open-architecture PC's are the worst case scenario when it comes to computers ... so of course that's the route we went down :(.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have had Mac in the past and it was fun and I really like Mac's. (my next lap top will be one)

Still like Bob with everything I need to do I had to go PC. Now here is the good news. I personally know the person who hand built my PC from the ground up (best friend) and every component in it was top o' the line specifically designed for my personal usage.
icon6.gif
It cost quite a bit more but it was well worth it and it dances and run's laps around any Mac I could have engineered for a couple of thousand more.

Here is knocking on wood that it continues to do so!
icon6.gif

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, a thread about hostility towards a computer/OS, now that's funny.

In any case I am a freelance journalist, my roommate is a computer programer and works for a pretty big web company and we both record music into our computers. When he's not ficing PCs he's working on a Mac or Linux PC. Here's the kicker Mr Mac hater, we both use Macs! There are 3 non Mac computers in the house and they run Linux because we like both the Mac OS, Mepis Linux (or Ubuntu).

For me, it'll always be Linux or Mac, Windows systems bother me how buggy they are.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like Mac's for the same reason I don't like iPods. Yes, they are nice, but they seem to want to ignore a very important concept, playing nice with others. Not to mention Apple is ahead of even Microsoft on implementing DRM stuff that restricts what I could do with my own system and files.

So Linux all the way, better looking, doesn't crash, no viruses / spyware issues, updating doesn't take half a day of update - reboot - repeat, I don't need to install a ton of security software on top of the OS, and I get all the software I need Free :)

I want out of the Micro$oft world, however I can't afford to re buy all the stuff I need to switch to mac (I have 2 mini's). I'd go Linux in a minute, except Photoshop and Dreamweaver aren't available in native mode, and there are no Linux equivilents with the functionality I need unfortunately.

Photoshop - http://luiscosio.com/how-to-adobe-photoshop-cs2-on-ubuntu-10-steps

Dreamweaver - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200305

;)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't get emotional over Mac v. PC v. Linus, or Ford v. Chevy, or TKD v. BJJ. If it works for you, good for you. Actually, I used to be a little more emotional about computers back when I had an Amiga.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like Mac's for the same reason I don't like iPods. Yes, they are nice, but they seem to want to ignore a very important concept, playing nice with others. Not to mention Apple is ahead of even Microsoft on implementing DRM stuff that restricts what I could do with my own system and files.

I'm with you there Andrew.

I use a PC. I use MS out of necessity because of work, else I would probably just use a Linux distro. I've used Macs in the past, when I was in college and I used to crash that sucker more than my win 98 box. Mac's OS is definitelly a slicker interface than Windows, but it is not the greatest thing since sliced bread which is what I hear from hardcore mac users....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A valid point there, Ping. The case made a few posts ago about the all out superiority of a Ubunto linux platform is solid too. The only real reason to run a Windoze OS on your PC hardware is for games compatability - if we could change that then the WIN virus would be gone for good.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to see other Linux users here. I've got this old beat to hell laptop I got for a song and I use it as my travel/work computer and I could not be happier with it. I run Mepis Linux on there and damn if it doesn't make this 4 year old laptop run like a beast!

The Mac desktop I keep in the bedroom but for work or sitting on the couch while trying to follow 4 football games it's gotta be Linux.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, a thread about hostility towards a computer/OS, now that's funny.

In any case I am a freelance journalist, my roommate is a computer programer and works for a pretty big web company and we both record music into our computers. When he's not ficing PCs he's working on a Mac or Linux PC. Here's the kicker Mr Mac hater, we both use Macs! There are 3 non Mac computers in the house and they run Linux because we like both the Mac OS, Mepis Linux (or Ubuntu).

For me, it'll always be Linux or Mac, Windows systems bother me how buggy they are.

I never said I was against Mac or was a Microsoft fanboy. I am just annoyed with the casual Mac user. The user who has a Mac b/c of the "it's cool" factor. The users who buy Mac's b/c they figure it costs so much money it HAS to be better than anything else.

I have an ex who swears to me that Mac's are superior to everything and she doesn't even know how much RAM she has on it. It took her a day to learn how to get on the internet BUT yet she tells me how "superior" Mac's are. That alone makes me give her the eye roll from hell.

She will tell me .."I had a laptop for 1 year and it totally messed up. Pc's are like that and Mac's aren't." Im sorry if your laptop starts messing up after a year and you claim that all you did was "type papers" I refuse to believe you. You did something to it. :flushed:

I think of these casual users as a casual MMA fan. They watch a few UFC PPV's a year and now they think they are well versed in all aspects of MMA as well as TMA. They will sit and tell you how superior MMA is to TMA.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not to interrupt but I just realized I need to correct my previous post

I support PC and I support MAC and I hate the "users" of both equally.

There that's better. :)

Latest Discussions