Human Weapon Show on History Channel

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've watched all three of the shows in the Human Weapon series thus far, and unfortunately the karate episode was the weakest up to this point. The show's producers picked some luminaries such as Shinjo Sensei from Uechi-ryu and Higaonna Sensei from Goju-ryu, but I really found the show's hosts annoying me more and more.

Why can't they make the series just about the martial arts? It's very contrived to send Jason and Bill through a series of 1 day seminars learning various techniques and training drills before an anticlimatic exhibition with a champion of some type. For this karate show, Bill faced a Kyokushin fighter, and the 'fight' was a total disgrace. Bill managed to foul his opponent with a punch to the jaw before running out of gas and clinching for survival. It was obvious his opponent could have mopped the floor with Bill and should have thanks to Bill's irritating bravado. Bill even had the nerve to be proud about the so-called 'draw' he earned.

I wonder what demographic the History Channel is trying to appeal to. Am I the only person who wishes Bill would go back to football?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the show but I do think Bill Duff is kinda out of his element on the show.

An hour length show every week on a different MA would probably not get the ratings that this show receives. I think it has to do with someone coming in from scratch and learning some and going to apply it against a master is what is the most appealing part. Almost like a reality show than a documentary.

I do see why they picked Bill and the other guy though. When you get guys the little to no MA background they have a open opinion about everything and not closed off as maybe a MA with 5 years experience. It is theat "greeness" with them that makes it better. 2 American with little to no MA training go around the world to learn different MA is easier to sell than 2 well known and accomplished MA go around the world to learn other MA. The average joe who knows nothing about MA can then watch themselves in the 2 hosts and wonder how they would fare in the same thing as opposed to joe watching to masters.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the show but I do think Bill Duff is kinda out of his element on the show.

An hour length show every week on a different MA would probably not get the ratings that this show receives. I think it has to do with someone coming in from scratch and learning some and going to apply it against a master is what is the most appealing part. Almost like a reality show than a documentary.

I do see why they picked Bill and the other guy though. When you get guys the little to no MA background they have a open opinion about everything and not closed off as maybe a MA with 5 years experience. It is theat "greeness" with them that makes it better. 2 American with little to no MA training go around the world to learn different MA is easier to sell than 2 well known and accomplished MA go around the world to learn other MA. The average joe who knows nothing about MA can then watch themselves in the 2 hosts and wonder how they would fare in the same thing as opposed to joe watching to masters.

I think you may have a point here and that may have been what the producers were looking for. Both of the hosts are very green with their martial arts training and it shows. So maybe that is the appeal of it to the masses while those of us with more training probably want a little more.
icon6.gif

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Overall, I love the show.
Look at the karate episode in general. I have been training in karate for 16+ years and have always been dissapointed with the way that the media has potrayed karate. It has always been full of the Daniel-san wax on wax off crane jokes, making us karate guys look like we can't hold our own. Almost all internet sites say that it is a disgrace of a martial art and that karate practitioners could never hold their own in a fight and in general are wimpy.

Last night's episode (which will replay Sunday night after the escrima episode) showed those karate guys to be tough sons of guns who could all but punch through brick walls.

It was nice to see karate potrayed that way for the first time.

AoG

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Overall, I love the show.
Look at the karate episode in general. I have been training in karate for 16+ years and have always been dissapointed with the way that the media has potrayed karate. It has always been full of the Daniel-san wax on wax off crane jokes, making us karate guys look like we can't hold our own. Almost all internet sites say that it is a disgrace of a martial art and that karate practitioners could never hold their own in a fight and in general are wimpy.

I won't lie...I see Karate guy's that way too. I guess with all the movies and over saturation of it, I can't help it. The episode showed me a lot of stuff I never knew and I have to admit I was very impressed. It helped stop some of the predjudice I have towards it. Nice to see it shown in apositive light and get to the roots of it to learn more about it.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the show sparks an interest in anyone for the MA that otherwise would not have any interest in it at all it's a good thing. Having two guys there that really (did I say really?) don't seem to know what they're doing may be just what is needed for someone who's been sitting on the couch for years to look at and say "What the heck, maybe I can do that". Those of us who train will always want more from a show that, when you get right down to it, isn't geared for us at all. I didn't see aikido on the schedule at all...it would be a very boring finale after all. And I'd love to see an in depth documentary on my art. For those who have only seen MA in the theater I think the series is a great thing. I'll keep watching regardless of how annoying the hosts can be at times.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night's episode (which will replay Sunday night after the escrima episode) showed those karate guys to be tough sons of guns who could all but punch through brick walls.

No kidding! The demonstrations where the sensei broke a baseball bat with a wrist strike and did board breaking with his fingers were pretty remarkable. Not to mention the other sensei who liked to pound boulders with his fists for fun. Overall I think such training isn't really worth it, but those guys sure made it look good.

What I wasn't so impressed with was the "Dim Mak" style vital points striking demo. I know for a fact that the "heart stopper" chest strike will only very rarely work - more of a fluke, and certainly not reliably repeatable. Also, maybe I just don't know that much about the style, but the kumite demonstrations were not impressive to me. I saw very little grace and skill, and a lot of pounding. I know hand strikes to the head weren't allowed, but the low, negligent guards just drove me nuts.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I won't lie...I see Karate guy's that way too. I guess with all the movies and over saturation of it, I can't help it. The episode showed me a lot of stuff I never knew and I have to admit I was very impressed. It helped stop some of the predjudice I have towards it. Nice to see it shown in apositive light and get to the roots of it to learn more about it.

Huh? Karate is one of the antecedents of taekwondo. Isn't that sort of like saying your dad's genes are bad?

Back to topic at hand...I agree the show has to be made to appeal to a broad audience...maybe I just expect too much. I still will watch the show since it's a great attempt to make the martial arts accessible to Joe Blow. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

OP
S

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also, maybe I just don't know that much about the style, but the kumite demonstrations were not impressive to me. I saw very little grace and skill, and a lot of pounding. I know hand strikes to the head weren't allowed, but the low, negligent guards just drove me nuts.

They dumbed it down so Bill Duff wouldn't have to be scraped off the mat. Go watch some Kyokushin videos on Youtube for a better idea of what the sport is. Lots of sweeps and crushing kicks are used by the better fighters. It's not all punching to the chest and low leg kicks.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked the show, but the kumite demonstration was sad. The there are segments that were cut from the show. I guess they had a segment on Kobudo, but it was cut, probably because of time issues.
I would like to hear from some of our Kyokushinkai member to see what they think of the "Okinawan Kyokushinkai" pracitioners. They didn't seem to have the technique that most of the Kyokushinkai people I have met have.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
i agree the host were picked due to their stature one small and one big, and also agree on the learning aspect have them go to short siminars and then put them against people like some of us that has been doing the art for over a decade, and i also know both the hosts techs are very sloppy. but i guess everyone is entitled to their on opinions

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've watched all three of the shows in the Human Weapon series thus far, and unfortunately the karate episode was the weakest up to this point. The show's producers picked some luminaries such as Shinjo Sensei from Uechi-ryu and Higaonna Sensei from Goju-ryu, but I really found the show's hosts annoying me more and more.

Why can't they make the series just about the martial arts? It's very contrived to send Jason and Bill through a series of 1 day seminars learning various techniques and training drills before an anticlimatic exhibition with a champion of some type. For this karate show, Bill faced a Kyokushin fighter, and the 'fight' was a total disgrace. Bill managed to foul his opponent with a punch to the jaw before running out of gas and clinching for survival. It was obvious his opponent could have mopped the floor with Bill and should have thanks to Bill's irritating bravado. Bill even had the nerve to be proud about the so-called 'draw' he earned.

I wonder what demographic the History Channel is trying to appeal to. Am I the only person who wishes Bill would go back to football?

I have watched all 3 episodes myself. I absolutly hate the two "hosts" attitueds away from the instructors! and I find that the Karate episode was by far the worst I have seen so far. I was hoping that it would be getting better as it could stand improvement. but, insted it seems to be becomeing more and more ego driven and really loosing ground as far as I am conserned. ..I have not decided if I will even bother to watch any of the next episodes.
I think that that black belt could have finished that pretty quickly, but more importantly I found that their attitude and behaveure is just a major turn off.

Jose Garrido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am also displeased with the two hosts.

But let's look at some good things about the series. I found out some stuff about the history of Mauy Tai that I did not know and the Karate-ka that were shown were great masters of their art. I found the Escrima episode quite interesting.

So I plan on continuing to watch the show, learn and enjoy watching the true masters teach their art in their dojos ot training grounds and then laugh at the the two guys as they think that they are truly learning the arts and are really able to fight against their opponents.

I know that it isn't something like "BUDO, the art of Killing", but IMHO it beats anything else that is out there on TV on Friday nights.

Jose Garrido

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
sure you learn thigns but what they are saying is the dissagree with the attitudes of the host, like when one says he can truely fell the way the practicioners of the art feel when they only have to do it for a week.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, but to the beginnners mind they may very well feel as if they "get it". We've all had those moments early in training where we felt like we knew all there was to know only to have our butts handed to us in the next five minutes. What I feel should be taken away from the show is the information on different arts that you may not have had before watching the show. View the hosts as being simply a slight annoyance along the path to knowledge.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

The premise of the show is RIDICULOUS!!!
Especially to Anyone who understands that the the martial arts, though containing Very useful "technologies"....is greater than the sum of it's parts. That it's about Physical/Technical/Moral and Mental CULTIVATION....over a long-haul process.......that turns out a warrior.
Not a few quickie classes........no matter how good they may be.

Imagine a person going to some GREAT one day workshops on how to be a great surgeon, then they intend to operate on YOU.
any takers?

Your Brother
John

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
The premise of the show is RIDICULOUS!!!
Especially to Anyone who understands that the the martial arts, though containing Very useful "technologies"....is greater than the sum of it's parts. That it's about Physical/Technical/Moral and Mental CULTIVATION....over a long-haul process.......that turns out a warrior.
Not a few quickie classes........no matter how good they may be.

Imagine a person going to some GREAT one day workshops on how to be a great surgeon, then they intend to operate on YOU.
any takers?

Your Brother
John

Ya it is, but its a TV show. However, after the lousy quality of the last episode, and it not even begaining to improve their attitued or cover things better..I do not think I will be watching it any more. It had the posibilitity of being something kinda cool, but they have indeed it seems stuck to that rediculious, stupid and ego driven premeis and format ... and so its a compleat failure in my mind.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd much MUCH rather see them do some shows on the RICH "History" of the martial arts. Not this crap.
There's SO SO much you could go into.
The Shaolin Temple.
The Samurai
The Ninja
The Sulsa
The Triad Society of China
The Boxers rebellion
The Feudal era of Japan
the development of Karate as a resistance movement to outside political domination in the RyuKyu Islands....etc.

Then there's different people as well....
Funakoshi
Kano
Ueshiba
Miyagi
Musashi
...the list goes on and on.
They could STILL interview 1st or 2nd gen students of some of them...etc.
How WWII impacted the martial ways of Japan.
How the Korean conflict impacted the martial arts of Korea...
There's SO much left un-done. It's a RICH mine-field of opportunities....if they'd just look.

..anyone got their phone number at the History Channel? HECK...I'll call'm myself.
(not kidding)
Your Brother
John

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see that as MA many of us will never be happy of what comes on tv about Martial Arts. No matter who did a show and how they did it no one would be happy. I think we should accept it for what it is and try to enjoy it. There are many non MA's in the world who find it interesting. I think too many people have too high expectations and therefore will only get let down. Any show putting your art in a "positive" light should be applauded.

The show gives you a brief view of the style that way you get to learn something and then after it goes off you can read up more online, visit a school, etc. Yes they are not including ALOT of other MA's but of course if it goes for a second season (which I see happening) they will use those other arts which folks think they should have shown this season (TKD, Ninjitsu, Akido, etc.)

Just think, would you rather have someone visit your school after watching the show and wanted to learn more and understand the art OR someone who watched a movie or saw something silly and would want to learn.

It is nothing different from a Doctor who watches a medical tv show and gates is b/c he feels that they are not showing everything. Of course you cant please everyone but if it brings u soemone to your school wanting to learn more, I see it as a good thing.

Only so much you can show in a 45 min show (minus the commercials)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Huh? Karate is one of the antecedents of taekwondo. Isn't that sort of like saying your dad's genes are bad?

Back to topic at hand...I agree the show has to be made to appeal to a broad audience...maybe I just expect too much. I still will watch the show since it's a great attempt to make the martial arts accessible to Joe Blow. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I agree but at the same time it is a different style. Some things are the same but TKD doesn't have the flat out negative view amongst people as Karate. That comes from mvoies and everything showcasing Karate while TKD only has a handful. Media shapes how we see many things and you have to admit the media isn't kind to Karate.

Like I said I didn't have the highest opinion of it but after watching the show I was quite impressed and it gave me some information that I didn't know.

Latest Discussions