HUMAN WEAPON on History Channel

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Uechi-ryu master just broke a baseball bat with the radius bone of this right forearm.

No BS, that's a HUMAN WEAPON!!! :)

Who's watching? (10pm Fridays on History Channel)

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I'm hooked. Found it interesting that no hand strikes to the head were allowed. However much contact they allowed this rule put it squarely in the sport category.

Next week... savate! (Wonder how quickly they are allowed to surrender in a match?)

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was fascinating. I was sure "baldy" was going to get pummeled.

So, who's game for lifting 50 pound urns with their fingertips?

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I missed it this time but ordered the DVD. The Uechi ryu master is Kyoshi Kiyohide Shinjo, 8th Dan. His break a baseball bat with his forearm is only one of the amazing breaking techniques he does.

That was fascinating. I was sure "baldy" was going to get pummeled.
So, who's game for lifting 50 pound urns with their fingertips?
I am working on it, I do 25lbs without to much difficulty.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great episode and Bill Duff REALLY seems out of place on that show after 3 episodes.

For all those that missed it, it comes on all the time. Just go to history channels website to see the next airing. They air it pretty frequently.

OP
Doc_Jude

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great episode and Bill Duff REALLY seems out of place on that show after 3 episodes.

I think that he's there more for his strength and natural athletic ability than his wrestling experience. He did seem to really get excited about that Karate, I wouldn't be suprised if he kept up with it, he seemed to have an aptitude.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love the show and like I put on another thread, that was the first time us karate guys have been shown by the media to be tough.

AoG

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love the show and like I put on another thread, that was the first time us karate guys have been shown by the media to be tough.

Not all the footage was complimentary. I agree Higaonna Sensei and Shinjo Sensei were impressive. Unfortunately, the static running of Naihanchi kata didn't do justice to the idea of kata as practical training for fighting. And the sport Kyokushin exhibition bout was embarassing for both fighters, particularly the expert. The rules as they were set up allowed Bill Duff to claim a "draw", and frankly in the clips the History Channel showed, neither man did much.

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thought also that the karate show was the least impressive of the 3 shows so far, and that's a shame - it was the one I was looking forward to the most. The exhibition match was poor. Since when are there no head shots (let's all just drop our hands) and since when is it a draw if you are both still standing?Some criteria. And if the kid said "kumite fight" one more time, I was ready to scream. Is that like kiba dachi stance means horse stance stance?

OP
Doc_Jude

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not all the footage was complimentary. I agree Higaonna Sensei and Shinjo Sensei were impressive. Unfortunately, the static running of Naihanchi kata didn't do justice to the idea of kata as practical training for fighting. And the sport Kyokushin exhibition bout was embarassing for both fighters, particularly the expert. The rules as they were set up allowed Bill Duff to claim a "draw", and frankly in the clips the History Channel showed, neither man did much.

My training group all watched it & we agreed. I was wondering why these guys aren't getting their butts handed to them & now after three episodes, it seems obvious that either people are going easy on them or it's staged.

Though, they did show Duff slipping and hitting the Kyokushin fighter in the face when it was against the rules. It all just seems weird. Maybe they just told the guys "Oh, go easy on the guys, it's just a demo" or something like that.

Who knows...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I know this will sound "silly" ...but the reason for NO head punches (can use kicks) if for SAFETY reasons. Most likely base on their own experiences in sparring.

Remember it is just a sparring tournement with RULES! No one can break bones/joints. No eyes gouges, No thoat strikes, Cannot continune to strike hard when a person in on the ground. No grappling on the ground...and so on!

It is just a test for the fitness and well train Karate person. I bet you on the streets...these guys will hit you in the HEAD!

Okinawa...where most of our martial art came from, that is taught in America today....is not the same training like in Okinawa.

Most Ameicans today...would quit in the first month in Okinawa (except for those who are determine).

The human weapon it a "great show" open your eyes to the many curltures/styles in the whole world......yet you see many familar things in the martial arts and the training!

The human body...amazing what it can become...............Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I missed it this week being at work so I hope I can catch a replay sometime soon

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a couple of replays over the week... Check your local listings, as they say.

It is being aired again tonight at 9 pm Eastern Time!
icon6.gif

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
They only featured a few of the karate styles taught in Okinawa. I wonder why they did that. I am speculating that the others aren't interested in sport tournaments like the Goju-Ryu and Uechi-Ryu dojos featured.

The Ueichi-Ryu "Superman" was one of about 3 Okinawan Masters featured in the November 2006 issue of "Okinawa Living" Magazine, which is a Marine Corps Services Publication in Okinawa. I got up as close as Hiji Falls in Okinawa to his school, but that area they showed on the History Channel map has lots of jungle and is difficult to navigate without a guide. Other Masters featured in that issue were Zenpo Shimabukuro (Shorin-Ryu Seibukan) and Yoshikazu Higa (Goju-Ryu).

I was surprised to find Judo and Kendo schools on the island during my visit.

R. McLain