Huk Planas in Revere - May 19, 2004

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Howdy all.

Huk is at the Revere Karate Academy this weekend. Friday night was 'Problem Technique' night. Saturday is the Purple Belt Techniques.

I went to the Friday Night session. I will not be going Saturday :(

Tonight we reveiwed 3 techniques; Glancing Spear, Unwinding Pendulum & Desperate Falcons.

This is the first time I went to one of these seminars with Huk, where I knew each of the techniques we were working (My first seminar with Huk, I was a yellow belt and we did Blinding Sacrifice - it still hurts).

There was nothing too unusual about Glancing Spear; lock up the wrist, Reverse Bow, Neutral Bow, Forward Bow, Grab, Sweep, Sweep, Kick.
Huk did point out that when, moving to the eye poke, when you glance the right hand of the attackers right arm, it does match up to (reverse of), the wrist releases in long three. Also, we discussed the 'Grab' would best be performed somewhere between the shoulder and the elbow (I have always grabbed the shoulder - oops!). Lastly, you can't sweep with just your feet, you got to move your whole body during the sweep.

To help the students get the first sweep moving in the correct direction, and to ensure we got the stance correct, we grafted into Leaping Crane after that first sweep ... reverse our direction back behind the attacker, kick out the back leg ...kidney - elbow. That was neat.

Next we worked on Unwinding Pendulum. I learned this technique a bit differently than Huk showed it tonight. From a Right Fighting Position, Downward Block on the kick; Inward Block; Right check/kick; eagle-beek to the groin; (here is where it is different); reach under the attackers right arm to their throat; spread them / drop them with a right leg opposing motion; break the attackers right arm over your left knee/shin/thigh.

I learned the technique with sweeps behind the attacker after the eagle beek. Kinda the opposite of Glancing Spear - Glancing Spear we sweep from the front - left leg/right leg ; Unwinding Pendulum we sweep from the rear - left leg/right leg. It was good.

Lastly, we reviewed Desperate Falcons, which again, was not exactly as I learned it. Two hand grab, lock the wrists under the left hand, step up & pull in, backfist to the fact & punch to the midsection, right step through as you uppercut - flap (just like in Long 2), pull the body to the left (with your left), strike down to the kidney (just like Shield & Mace - but your feet are different), shuffle, spread and knee to the thigh/knee/groin.

At this point, the meat of the techniques works pretty good. There was nothing shown to me that was totally knew (that was nice). Certainly, I have lots I can practice. Perhaps the most important point Huk made this evening, is that often we are too compliant when we dummy the techniques; we know that kick is supposed to bend us over, so we bend over like a good little dummie ... and once we are bent over, we stay bent over, to make the technique nice and easy for the person running it ;-).

Huk was very clear, that sometimes, we need to use a bit of force to move the body where it needs to be (he said he liked judo for that reason). We must practice that at times, so we know what it will be like. It will take more force to move a body than we think, but not so much as it can't be done.

All in all - a very good night.

Thanks - Mike

Latest Discussions