Hugh hewitt interviews mark steyn about the debt crisis

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite radio hosts, Hugh Hewitt, a constitutional law professor and practicing attorney and radio host, interviews Mark Steyn about the american debt crisis.

http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=cc901939-80a2-4b42-9c66-dc946f9a1f57

HH: Now the Wall Street Journal today put out one of these classic polls that begins to show the turning of the MSM tide against budget cutting, saying that less than a quarter of Americans support making significant cuts to Social Security or Medicare. This is one of those manufactured polls, Mark. They’re going to try and persuade the House GOP and other budget cutters that there really isn’t support in the country for cutting budgets.
MS: Well, and it doesn’t make any difference. I mean, polls show that more American males would rather date Ann Hathaway than Helen Thomas. But it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. And in this case, the polls can say what they like. But the fact is, these entitlements are unsustainable. So Americans can tell pollsters that they’re quite happy with 1930s entitlement provisions for Social Security, but it ain’t going to be there. And the longer it takes you to figure that out, the more likely it is that this country will simply slide off a cliff. And I mean that not entirely literally, but I mean that we will reduce vast swathes of the United States to a third world landscape. This country is broke. Don’t go from being broke to being bankrupt. This isn’t anything to do with mid-century projections. This is happening now. We’ve got maybe a couple of years to turn this around before the world abandons the dollar as the reserve currency.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
bill, I have to ask once again why you are posting Mark Steyn's opinions? AFAIK he has no qualifications to be pontificating about economics or finance, I don't even think he has a university or college degree. He started out as a radio host.

To be honest I agree with the problem about the US debt although I think both spending has to be cut and taxes increased, preferably with something like a value added tax nationally.

If you want to post say Nouriel Roubini who would probably agree about the US debt problem or Paul Krugman who might have a different view, or the other economist that disagrees with Krugman about when to end the stimulus spending then fine. But Steyn? Just because a particular ideologue happens to have your views doesn't mean he is qualified to have an opinion.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paul Krugman, really, Paul Krugman? A VAT tax, in addition to everything else? I think I will just listen to Mark Steyn.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul Krugman, really, Paul Krugman? A VAT tax, in addition to everything else? I think I will just listen to Mark Steyn.

errr.....yeah Steyn a guy who left school at 18 , to be a disc jockey, then a musical theatre critic, then a film critic versus a Nobel prize winning Princeton professor of economics.

If that is the guy who you put more credence on economics on instead of Krugman then you really are clueless. Knowing Steyn he probably cribbed what he knows from reading David Frum's columns who by the way also thinks a VAT should be implemented.

Who else do you listen to , Sarah Palin on relativity theory versus Roger Penrose?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Krugman has a great deal of knowledge but little if any wisdom, whereas Mark Steyn is very wise and understands the world as it is. I'll take Mark Steyn over Paul Krugman any day. Please, Nobel as a reference, that institution is a joke now, I mean, they gave krugman a prize, that should tell you all you need to know, if the fact that they gave Nobel prizes to Obama, and yasserarrafat and other miscreants.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The last thing this country needs is a vat tax. the politicians have spent all of our other money so wisely that another revenue stream is all they need.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Krugman has a great deal of knowledge but little if any wisdom, whereas Mark Steyn is very wise and understands the world as it is. I'll take Mark Steyn over Paul Krugman any day. Please, Nobel as a reference, that institution is a joke now, I mean, they gave krugman a prize, that should tell you all you need to know, if the fact that they gave Nobel prizes to Obama, and yasserarrafat and other miscreants.

LOL..

Krugman , BA in Economics from Yale, ph.d from MIT, taught at Yale, MIT ,Berkeley, London School of Economics and Stanford.

Steyn: wrote film reviews and musical theatre reviews.

You might as well reference Roger Ebert's views on quantum mechanics.

Like you are qualified to comment on the value of the Nobel prize for academic subjects.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
last I checked we still lived in America and all have a right to have an opinion on anything.
Maybe if you tried making a point instead of questioning why others are bringing up conversations it might help a bit..

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
last I checked we still lived in America and all have a right to have an opinion on anything.
Maybe if you tried making a point instead of questioning why others are bringing up conversations it might help a bit..

no everyone is entitled to an informed opinion , if you know nothing about quantum mechanics then you shouldn't be arguing about it or questioning the opinions of qualified physicists.

Just wondering bill or Lucky if either of you have ever studied economics at a higher educational institution? I have, at the University of Toronto, it is a rigorous subject using higher mathematics as its method of analysis, something Krugman would know about and a disc jockey and musical theatre critic would know nothing about.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Steyn has a view and Krugman has a view. They are on the same page. Krugman talks about the big hole that the US has dug itself into.
So back to my original point: whatever the recent economic news, we’re still near the bottom of a very deep hole. We can only hope that enough policy makers understand that point.
Steyn wants cuts to spending, Krugman wants spending retained. However Krugman may not have the time for his solution to take effect. The US is effectively broke now. As they say in the interview, "broke, not bankrupt". Steyn also wants to increase taxes. That at least, if done conservatively, may not slow recovery and may indeed help balance the books.

But eventually the books have to balance. You can't just go on printing money or you end up looking like Zimbabwe. World currencies have increased about 40% against the $US already and will continue to rise until Congress and Wall Street get their act together.

At this stage, if I had to choose, I'd go for Steyn, credentialed or not. :asian:

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said Krugman didn't have a lot of knowledge, it is the fact that he has little or no wisdom with how to apply that knowledge. He is also a big jerk. I'll listen to Thomas Sowell or walter williams instead.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paul Krugman, left wing jerk:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...mes-giffords-shooting-palin-limbaugh-and-beck

While Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) fights for her life in a Tucson, Arizona, hospital, liberal media members continue to point fingers of blame for Saturday's tragic shooting spree at prominent conservatives such as Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck.
Jumping on this pathetic bandwagon Saturday was New York Times columnist Paul Krugman:
Krugman.jpg
We don’t have proof yet that this was political, but the odds are that it was. She’s been the target of violence before. And for those wondering why a Blue Dog Democrat, the kind Republicans might be able to work with, might be a target, the answer is that she’s a Democrat who survived what was otherwise a GOP sweep in Arizona, precisely because the Republicans nominated a Tea Party activist. (Her father says that “the whole Tea Party” was her enemy.) And yes, she was on Sarah Palin’s infamous “crosshairs” list. [...]

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...hooting-palin-limbaugh-and-beck#ixzz1Fh1e7d5E

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Steyn has a view and Krugman has a view. They are on the same page. Krugman talks about the big hole that the US has dug itself into.

Steyn wants cuts to spending, Krugman wants spending retained. However Krugman may not have the time for his solution to take effect. The US is effectively broke now. As they say in the interview, "broke, not bankrupt". Steyn also wants to increase taxes. That at least, if done conservatively, may not slow recovery and may indeed help balance the books.

But eventually the books have to balance. You can't just go on printing money or you end up looking like Zimbabwe. World currencies have increased about 40% against the $US already and will continue to rise until Congress and Wall Street get their act together.

At this stage, if I had to choose, I'd go for Steyn, credentialed or not. :asian:

to hell with Steyn, he is simply regurgitating some stuff he read perhaps third hand if that.

Krugman, if you have read his columns just argues about the timing of ending the stimulus spending. He thinks the debt and deficit should be dealt with only after the economy recovers

Krugman is actually one of Obama's biggest critics. Roubini is on the other side, he believes in ending the deficit and debt now.

I lean towards Roubini, cut spending, raise revenue.

In any case the UK is following Roubini, the US, somewhat Krugman, the results of both views should be seen in 5 years.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul Krugman, left wing jerk:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...mes-giffords-shooting-palin-limbaugh-and-beck

While Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) fights for her life in a Tucson, Arizona, hospital, liberal media members continue to point fingers of blame for Saturday's tragic shooting spree at prominent conservatives such as Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck.
Jumping on this pathetic bandwagon Saturday was New York Times columnist Paul Krugman:
Krugman.jpg
We don’t have proof yet that this was political, but the odds are that it was. She’s been the target of violence before. And for those wondering why a Blue Dog Democrat, the kind Republicans might be able to work with, might be a target, the answer is that she’s a Democrat who survived what was otherwise a GOP sweep in Arizona, precisely because the Republicans nominated a Tea Party activist. (Her father says that “the whole Tea Party” was her enemy.) And yes, she was on Sarah Palin’s infamous “crosshairs” list. [...]

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-s...hooting-palin-limbaugh-and-beck#ixzz1Fh1e7d5E

and none of that has anything to do with Krugman's expertise as an economist and Steyn's complete lack of knowledge of the field.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
fine bil, then post Williams or Sowell's views, why are you wasting bandwidth with a former disc jockey and musical theatre writer's views on economics?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just like the other wizards of smart who got us into this mess. Knowlege without wisdom or even basic common sense is useless and dangerous. I once saw a history show about the einsatz groupen of hitler's germany. The guy being interviewed had a Ph.D in economics and was a monster who murdered innocent people. I am not saying Krugman is a monster, he is simply clueless. In my humble opinion.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just like the other wizards of smart who got us into this mess. Knowlege without wisdom or even basic common sense is useless and dangerous. I once saw a history show about the einsatz groupen of hitler's germany. The guy being interviewed had a Ph.D in economics and was a monster who murdered innocent people. I am not saying Krugman is a monster, he is simply clueless. In my humble opinion.

WTF are you talking about? I have actually studied economics and I am not so arrogant to say that anyone with Krugman's qualifications is clueless in his field.

Just what makes you think you have either the knowledge or expertise to say so? Or to say some musical theatre critic knows better than Krugman?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is another regular guest, and good friend of Hugh Hewitt's, Congressman John Campbell of california, questioning Ben Bernanke about the fiscal crisis.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have heard him talk about how to solve the problem, talk about scary? I had to keep my winnie the pooh night light on after listening to that.