Hr 235

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From this site
Title: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to protect the religious free exercise and free speech rights of churches and other houses of worship.
SUMMARY AS OF:
1/8/2003--Introduced.

Houses of Worship Free Speech Restoration Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to state that churches and other houses of worship shall not lose such designation because of the content, preparation, or presentation of any homily, sermon, teaching, dialectic, or other presentation made during religious services or gatherings. States that such provision shall not affect campaign finance laws under the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971.

From Here:
Under current rules, clergy may discuss any issues of public concern during sermons, and houses of worship can engage in civic education and voter-registration activities that are nonpartisan. Clergy may even endorse candidates as individuals. But religious organizations and leaders - as their representatives - may not engage in any partisan political activity.

The ban on electioneering comes from a provision in the Internal Revenue Service code that prohibits tax-exempt organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates. Such 501(c)(3) groups pay no income tax and can receive tax-deductible contributions.

"The best way to look at this is as a campaign finance regulation that says people can enjoy a tax deduction for charitable contributions to churches and hospitals but not to political campaigns," says Dr. Tuttle.
Essentially, this is an amendment to US tax code so as to allow US churches and their leaders to engage in partisan campaign activity while still retaining their tax exempt status. The problem I see with this is that they are then legally able to accept campaign contributions, and operate as vehicles for larger scale campaign activities. A loophole is being created.

Where is the separation of Church and State?

From here:

HR 235 is authored by Congressman Jones and is co-sponsored by 165 other members of the U.S. House of Representatives, including Congressmen Hayes and Cantor. After being introduced by Jones in January of 2003, the bill was referred to the Ways and Means committee where it remains. Congress is expected to adjourn for the election period tomorrow, Friday, October 7th.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
From this site

From Here:
Essentially, this is an amendment to US tax code so as to allow US churches and their leaders to engage in partisan campaign activity while still retaining their tax exempt status. The problem I see with this is that they are then legally able to accept campaign contributions, and operate as vehicles for larger scale campaign activities. A loophole is being created.

Where is the separation of Church and State?

From here:
No! What a bad idea!

S

Spud

Giving any group that enjoys tax exempt status under 501 (c)(3) the opportunity to campaign would open a whole big can of worms. Especially religious organizations. My professional assocations have tons of issues we'd like to lobby on, but cannot do it without jeapordizing our tax exemption.

Given the stench of campaign irregularities with unions, businesses, PAC's, 527 groups and other "grass roots" organizations that don't enjoy tax exempt status, the last thing we want to do is drag our houses of worship into this cesspool especially by making them the only tax exempt way to get money into a campaign.

Want to leverage your campaign contribution by 30% ? Donate to Progressive Paegans for American Values....

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spud said:
the last thing we want to do is drag our houses of worship into this cesspool especially by making them the only tax exempt way to get money into a campaign.....
But who are "we"? It seems that they support this ammendment rather emphatically:

Clergy United leader, Bishop Anthony Muse, called upon the Congressional Black Caucus to back Jones’ bill and push for its passage: “There is a muzzle upon the clergy. As ministers, we are obligated to speak about the moral and political issues of the day, and taking away that right is harassment. It is wrong, and it is extortion. To the black Caucus, we need you here. This is our time to speak out. We need the entire religious community to come together now- black and white, people of all faiths- and say, ‘this is our right, this is our time.’ ”

“I truly believe there is no future for America unless our preachers are allowed to speak freely about what God puts into their hearts and minds,” Jones said. “There would have been no civil rights movement without ministers speaking out for freedom, and we must give that right back to our great ministers like those here today with me. I thank these ministers and pastors here for joining me, as well as two of my good friends and colleagues, Congressman Cantor and Congressman Hayes. This is a fight we must not give up because it is about saving morality for the future of this great country.”

Bishop Muse was joined by about 50 other ministers with Clergy United who all wanted to demonstrate their passion for protecting the moral and religious voice in America.
I mean no racial implication there. After re-reading my post I see that it may be construed that way. That is most certainly NOT the intent. I meant "they" as in religious leaders.

S

Spud

We would be the public as a whole, including church goers. Ministers aren't muzzled - they have accepted a government subsidy (tax exemptions) and with that comes a set of restrictions. If they want to become involved in partisan politics enter the same playing field as everyone else where campaign solicitations (tithing) aren't tax deductible.

I don't believe churches haven't been barred from distributing voting guides comparing candidates positions on abortion, school prayer etc. Arguably that is information and not advocacy; although much of it is done with a knowing wink.

Latest Discussions