How'd You Get into the World of Muay Thai

S

soldierboy69

i was reading the new to muay thai post, a member did, and it got me thinking, how was it that you started or wanted to start learning muay thai? personally, i know it may sound childish, but i saw the movie ong bak in thai, a while ago b4 it even came out in theatres in america, every since, i was in love with the sport/style. so i looked it up and found a couple, of places that teach it in my area(toronto). thats how i got started. it takes my 2 buses and 1 subway to get to my class, but its soo worth it lol.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After training in aikido for about8 years i wanted to try something at the opposite end of the MA spectrum, did some research and Muay Thai came up
I still practice both styles

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my Jiu Jitsu class, we often start with some Muay Thai, so thats about the extent of how much I train. but its crazy how many people train Thai boxing. It seems like EVERY single MMA fighter trains it. and most Kali and JKD guys also train some as well.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Summer after 8th grade, I got into trouble. My dad made me pick something to do during the day while my parents were gone. . .I went to check out TKD, but was worried that I'd embarrass myself. So, I checked out Muay Thai--which was pretty unheard of back then--best thing that ever happened to me. I love Muay Thai. Also, take Ong Bak with a grain of salt. . .even though it's one of my favorite movies, as well.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
In my Jiu Jitsu class, we often start with some Muay Thai, so thats about the extent of how much I train. but its crazy how many people train Thai boxing. It seems like EVERY single MMA fighter trains it. and most Kali and JKD guys also train some as well.

It seems like JKD had pretty much adopted many Thai strikes. And it has become a pre-requisite, almost, for MMA.

OP
S

soldierboy69

AdrenalineJunky said:
Summer after 8th grade, I got into trouble. My dad made me pick something to do during the day while my parents were gone. . .I went to check out TKD, but was worried that I'd embarrass myself. So, I checked out Muay Thai--which was pretty unheard of back then--best thing that ever happened to me. I love Muay Thai. Also, take Ong Bak with a grain of salt. . .even though it's one of my favorite movies, as well.

ong bak when i saw it like year ago or w/e b4 it came out i was suprised, i then did re search on MT and I was intrigued, i wanted to get away from a style the used fists alot, so when i found out MT is the 8 limbed Style so to speak it was my gateway into staying in Martial Arts without hurting myself again, because ive broken my left hand 9 times so needless to say, the idea of using elbows and fists appealed to me greatly

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
soldierboy69 said:
ong bak when i saw it like year ago or w/e b4 it came out i was suprised, i then did re search on MT and I was intrigued, i wanted to get away from a style the used fists alot, so when i found out MT is the 8 limbed Style so to speak it was my gateway into staying in Martial Arts without hurting myself again, because ive broken my left hand 9 times so needless to say, the idea of using elbows and fists appealed to me greatly

Knees and elbows: the bread and butter of success, lol.

OP
S

soldierboy69

AdrenalineJunky said:
Knees and elbows: the bread and butter of success, lol.

Oh sO true lol, personally ive now devloped a way of not using my left hand so much, jus my left elbow, but if need be i can switch from lefty to righty easily, because well im initially left handed but after i broke it the 5th time it wasnt exactly the strongest lolz so i learned to fight right handed

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm friends with my kru,we used to be in the gym together i was in one side doing weights and he'd be in the other side kicking the bag and one day i said 'whats all this muay thai buiness about then?' and the rest is history!

OP
S

soldierboy69

Odin I Have 2 Admitt Ive Fallen In Love With Ur Signature !!! Omfg !! Priceless !!!

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
soldierboy69 said:
Odin I Have 2 Admitt Ive Fallen In Love With Ur Signature !!! Omfg !! Priceless !!!

Cheers dude,iv got about a hundred of them!

..''There are no disabled people.just people that have met chuck norris''

''Rather then being birthed like a normal child Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked his way out of his mothers womb,shortly then after he grew a beard''

''Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer.Too bad he has never cried''