How would your style do it

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are some shaolin kempo techniques here on video and explained. It would be interesting to have some from other styles explain how the philosophy of system of thier style would modify it and why. Most techiques in Skk are taught against a punch but the good ones are not limited to that so feel free to discuss it against specific attacks. Please do it from your style view point it terms of mechanics, energy, feeling, fighting philosophy, target selection... As a fun exercise that might benefit us all or at least give us something else to talk about
thanks
Bruce ..... I mean Marlon

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some shaolin kempo techniques here on video and explained. It would be interesting to have some from other styles explain how the philosophy of system of thier style would modify it and why. Most techiques in Skk are taught against a punch but the good ones are not limited to that so feel free to discuss it against specific attacks. Please do it from your style view point it terms of mechanics, energy, feeling, fighting philosophy, target selection... As a fun exercise that might benefit us all or at least give us something else to talk about
thanks
Bruce ..... I mean Marlon

How about picking a specific one? Maybe post a link to one for discussion?

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is actually something I've been thinking of starting to shoot some videos of, so give me a week or so and I might start. :)

I was thinking of doing what I've often done in KenpoTalk discussions - present a statement and then come back and critique or comment on it separately. Might be interesting to demonstrate a technique from SKK as I've been taught it originally, and leave off my interpretations. Just see where it grows based on discussions here.

I'll be more than happy to start shooting a few videos so non-SKK practitioners can get in the mix. Any specific ones that you'd want to start with?

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How about combination 18? Step with the rt leg towards 2:30 and shift into a lt cat stance facing 11:30 ish with a lt downward block that crosses your center line the rt is on guard. Then step through the attackers center(step btwn thier legs) with a left backhand strike to the neck as you land in a lt forward or fighting stance. Continue the left arms motion in a circular ccw arc while pressing on the back of the attackers neck bending them forward then rt dropping elbow to the spine and then pivot ccw with a rt inverted hammer to the spine. Do you want a vid of this? In the air or against an attacker or some one else can post a video?
Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is actually something I've been thinking of starting to shoot some videos of, so give me a week or so and I might start. :)

I was thinking of doing what I've often done in KenpoTalk discussions - present a statement and then come back and critique or comment on it separately. Might be interesting to demonstrate a technique from SKK as I've been taught it originally, and leave off my interpretations. Just see where it grows based on discussions here.

I'll be more than happy to start shooting a few videos so non-SKK practitioners can get in the mix. Any specific ones that you'd want to start with?

That would good, sir. Choose as you like which one . I was thinking of starting with one technique that moved to the outside and one that moved to the inside.
Thanks
Marlon

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect that for many people, the answer would be that their style WOULDN'T do it.

Some systems are really quite different, all the way down to the very approach to combat. You might bring out a combo specific to your system, and another system simply would not do anything like that at all because it doesn't work with the very structure and combat philosophy of the system.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that for many people, the answer would be that their style WOULDN'T do it.

Some systems are really quite different, all the way down to the very approach to combat. You might bring out a combo specific to your system, and another system simply would not do anything like that at all because it doesn't work with the very structure and combat philosophy of the system.
I don't think you can do something like "how would your style throw a straight right, left hook, right uppercut" because the answer is either "we don't" as Flying Crane said, or contained in the question. If you spell out the technique/combination, all that is left is emphasis that you can't always explain in text well.

A better approach might be "how would your style handle a punch to the face?"

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well ok how about how would your style handle / demonstrate moving off of the line of attack while staying close enough to counter and control the attacker? If your style does not why? And how does the fighting philosophy obviate such a concept

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well ok how about how would your style handle / demonstrate moving off of the line of attack while staying close enough to counter and control the attacker? If your style does not why? And how does the fighting philosophy obviate such a concept
Again -- your question is answering itself.

How do we move off the line and stay close enough to counter? We use steps at angles that keep you close to the attacker and allow you to counter... Sometimes, we use steps that keep us literally inside the attacker, and the "defense" serves both to deflect/block the attack and strike, like an upward elbow strike that's also a block.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BUH?! In-inside? Wouldn't want to mess with your art.
Not quite as messy as it sounded there! LOL Just hard to distinguish between "off the line, outside the attack" and "off the line, inside the attack." Using a clock as a directional guide, it's kind of like moving on 12:30 or 1:00 instead of more to the 2:00 to 2:30 range... Takes a lot of confidence in your ability to take the shot on the muscles of the arm, shoulder, and back while delivering that upward elbow...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe a better approach would be: what is the basic underlying philosophy of your art, and how is this seen in the basic techniques such as stances, power generation, footwork, striking, blocking, and evading methods? And then how are these methods used to deal with a real attack such as a punch to the face or some kind of a grab?

As has been noted above, this could be very difficult to describe in writing, and might really require a demonstration to make it clear. Might take pages of typing to get the message across.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
That would good, sir. Choose as you like which one . I was thinking of starting with one technique that moved to the outside and one that moved to the inside.
Thanks
Marlon

I'll take a look at it this week and grab a dummy . . . er . . . uke . . . to shoot some with. Stay tuned I'll post it up to YouTube shortly!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Good topic but hard to pull of on a web page IMO but I'll give it a shot

How about combination 18? Step with the rt leg towards 2:30 and shift into a lt cat stance facing 11:30 ish with a lt downward block that crosses your center line the rt is on guard. Then step through the attackers center(step btwn thier legs) with a left backhand strike to the neck as you land in a lt forward or fighting stance. Continue the left arms motion in a circular ccw arc while pressing on the back of the attackers neck bending them forward then rt dropping elbow to the spine and then pivot ccw with a rt inverted hammer to the spine. Do you want a vid of this? In the air or against an attacker or some one else can post a video?
Respectfully,
Marlon

Wo bu zhi dao yexu Jin Gung Dao Dui yexu Lou Xi

Now that I have clearly answered the question can someone please explain to me what the heck combination 18 is :D

In IMA it really all depends on the direction of the force coming at you so answering based on what is typed is not necessarily what I would do but with that said

If we are talking Xingyiquan, based on my limited experience with it I would guess Paoquan and also based on my limited experience with Xingyi the reason is simple, Xingyiquan basically is going to hit you and hit you hard and use your force to help with that.

If Paoquan basically step towards the opponent but angle out of the path using your blocking arm to intercept the punch coming at you and rolling that blocking arm out to assist the punch at coming in (using the attackers force to your advantage) and past then step back in and punch the opponent also coming in from an angle. Basically you are talking a (roughly) V pattern in your stepping. But you could also just as easily use Piquan, Bengquan, Zuanquan or Heng Quan.

Splitting - Piquan - Like an axe chopping up and over.
Pounding - Paoquan - Exploding outward like a cannon while blocking.
Drilling - Zuanquan - Drilling forward horizontally like a geyser.
Crossing - Hengquan - Crossing across the line of attack while turning over.
Crushing - Bengquan - Arrows constantly exploding forward.

Taiji is big on direction of force and there are multiple answers that could be given and I am just using the 13 postures; step back and use Cai (pull – more like yank) or step in and use li (split) or deflect and use Lu (roll back) you could possibly even use Zhou (elbow) or depending on the force Kao (shoulder).

Bruce

Latest Discussions