How to stay commited

samjames

White Belt
Reaction score
I love martial arts so much, and I want it to last. I have a habit of quitting things because I've felt like I conquered them. I was a great football player, a running back, but got bored and quit. I was a sponsored skateboarder, but got bored and quit. I am very grateful that at 22 I've completely fallen in love with yet another physical activity. I'm just wondering, to those people who are in deep, do you have any advice for how to stay committed to martial arts?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love martial arts so much, and I want it to last. I have a habit of quitting things because I've felt like I conquered them. I was a great football player, a running back, but got bored and quit. I was a sponsored skateboarder, but got bored and quit. I am very grateful that at 22 I've completely fallen in love with yet another physical activity. I'm just wondering, to those people who are in deep, do you have any advice for how to stay committed to martial arts?

Hey Sam, welcome to MT :)

My first day of class at Berklee College of Music, one of my professors said "the art is always better than you". It was kind of intimidating to hear that, but its true!

And it is true. There is always more to learn. If you start to feel like you have conquered it, remember that one of the keys to progressing in the arts is the discpline to find a way to train when you aren't motivated to so. ;)

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't limit yourself, there is a whole world of idea to explore and build on what you have started. We often hear about making an art your own, well grow with it & explore its potential.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when you reach one goal, set another. I have short term and long term goals. It also helps to keep enthusiastic people around you to give you the extra push when you need it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I first got started and fell in love with it, I made a point of hard-wiring it as a habit. Now, even when I'm not in the mood, I'd no more think of skipping it than I would skip walking the dog, or bathing.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am reminded of the word "do" which is attached to so many martial arts. "Do" means way or path. As you travel a path sometimes you may get tired or bored but staying on the path is necessary in order to complete the journey. As has been said by others, there is always something new to learn, something else to shoot for. I have been training in the martial arts for 39 years and I still keep on training even though I am not as strong,fast or nimble as I used to be,it is just a part of my life.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Sam,

Bluntly, if you think you have it conquered, you still have a long way to go. As Carol said, the art is always better than you. So if you find yourself thinking you have it conquered, and are getting bored (because it all seems too easy), all that tells me is that you haven't gotten very deep into the arts themselves at all.

There are some arts which have very few physical techniques, such as Seitei Iaido and Jodo (about 12 actual techniques in each, not counting the kihon), and there are students and instructors who, after studying the same movements for literally decades, say that they are just starting to understand them now. Within the concept of Japanese martial arts as vehicles of self development, the metaphor often put forth is of "polishing yourself like a sword". This basically means that you constantly refine your movements, approach, mindset, attitude, and more. And if done properly, free from the ego that says "Oh, I can do that now, it's easy", that is a never ending quest. As it should be.

But you're young. And that usually means a few things, including ego. That's fine. But remember one thing... You will not always be this young, you will not always be this strong, you will not always be this healthy, you will not always be this fast, you will not always be able to muscle through things as you (probably, from your self description) can now. So look to the future if you need to see why you will continue with the art. That's really the only way to keep going.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, you said it yourself. You get bored when you think you have conquered something. So stop telling yourself you've conquered, and you will stay interested.

It might help to ask your sensei to give you little reality checks now and then, just to be sure you realize how much there is left to learn. Getting comfortable with a kata...time for a reality check. Etc. Then someday when you can pass all of the reality checks, maybe you will have conquered. That's not gonna be in a year or two, grasshopper...

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tend to pick up things very quickly, which turns me off from constant repitition. Also, limited time changes my priority back and forth, so its hard to stay motivated.

I'm in a kyokushin derivative now, and I am honest to say i got kicked in the face a few times last night, and pretty much looked like a fool. And i came from a strong karate and kickboxing background. As though as that keeps happening where I keep getting beat by them, and by myself, I dont see how I would quit until I learn and develop from my lack of skill and ability. And if I ever reach that point, I am sure there will be a long road of pain and sweat that I wont want to shrug off and quit to, but make worth of and continue to build from.

Besides, my girl sees the bruises and cuts on my hands, feet, and shins, she will think I am a wussy if i quit. And mind you, they are fighting me soft to middle power. Whatever keeps you in the road do it, because once you get far enough, looking back will be very pleasurable and fulfilling

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are the kind of person I think you are, there's only one solution. When you feel froggy, jump. What I mean by that is when you think you're "great" at martial arts, do some for-real sparring against a true badass. When you get out of physical therapy, train more; maybe from the person who humbled you. Then challenge the guy he thinks is a badass. Lather, rinse, repeat. You'll either eventually reach the limits of your potential, or eventually become a true badass. Either way, Mazel Tov!

I mean this in a constructive and positive way. There are people who need constant outside challenges or they become bored. They do not find satisfaction by setting inner challenges for themselves. I am not one of those people, but I've known a lot of them. Nothing wrong with it, it's just the way you're wired. So keep looking for outside challenges that humble you and prove to your ego that you pretty much still suck. I believe you are the type who can take being shown you suck, it just makes you work harder. So find people who can prove that to you until they can't do it anymore; then find someone else who can. They're out there.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I simply remind myself that

you must keep using it or you will lose it.

You may learn all sorts of stuff, but if you quit, if you are inactive long enough, you won't be able to DO most of it anymore.

The short version is, "I don't quit because I don't want to lose my superpowers" :)

GHETTO NINJA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
dont think about it so much homeboy JUST DO IT and if you ever get bored of it just know that thats you and your destine to be that way mountain climbing might be next or skydiving or race car driving who knows ...

OP
S

samjames

White Belt
Reaction score
Chris,

No, I don't think I have conquered it. Like I said, I have a habit of quitting something when I feel I have conquered it. I also said that I love martial arts. Based on that, isn't it clear that I'm still training, and have yet to feel like I've conquered it?

I created this thread to gain insight into other people's experiences, and hopefully extract something valuable from which I may draw on, at a later time, if I ever feel like I'm getting bored.

You sort of come off like a self-righteous person. Stereotyping youth as the majority of egotistical people is egotistical in and of itself. Everyone has an ego, Chris. Young, old, man, woman, white, yellow, black. Everyone. Becoming enlightened isn't about eliminating the ego, its about learning to LIVE with it. Being one. Realizing that if it IS then it is part of you. "Don't try to control your thoughts, and don't let your thoughts control you."

Bill,

Thanks for your response, that was constructive, and positive. I very much do enjoy being challenged, especially by another person. I do also set my own goals, and I get fulfillment out of that as well, but it isn't the same thing. I can't even compare the two.

OP
S

samjames

White Belt
Reaction score
Ghetto Ninja,

Word! I love that slogan! JUST DO IT. I tell myself that all the time. Sometimes you gotta here it from someone else though.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I simply remind myself that

you must keep using it or you will lose it.

You may learn all sorts of stuff, but if you quit, if you are inactive long enough, you won't be able to DO most of it anymore.

The short version is, "I don't quit because I don't want to lose my superpowers" :)

A corollary to that - another good motivator would be to read the "crime beat" section of your local paper on a regular basis. You want to see your name in there some day? Of course not.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to pick up things very quickly, which turns me off from constant repitition

same I pick up things quickly, but I never get tired of constant repetition.

and how can anyone say they have ma conquered when ma is lifetime so there's always something new to learn?

Go figure.

and sam, sometimes i wish i had an ego. even a little tiny one will do. I'd love to feel good about myself.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our first Grandmaster used to use the analogy that an instructor was like a candle that consumes itself as it sheds light. You simply have to add more wax to your candle.

Never stop being a student. You never really master anything. There is *always* something new to learn, or something old to refine.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Sam.

Chris,

No, I don't think I have conquered it. Like I said, I have a habit of quitting something when I feel I have conquered it. I also said that I love martial arts. Based on that, isn't it clear that I'm still training, and have yet to feel like I've conquered it?

Actually, what I said was more of a future projection for you, rather than a comment on your current outlook. I can see how the phrasing could be read as talking about your current situation, that is not what I had in mind as I wrote.

But to the point, you wrote that you often give up after feeling like you have conquered something. My comments were that there is no "conquering" martial arts. So if you (at any tiime at all) feel you have done so, you haven't. And that will be your ego talking, as it evidentally did with your football and skateboarding.

I created this thread to gain insight into other people's experiences, and hopefully extract something valuable from which I may draw on, at a later time, if I ever feel like I'm getting bored.

Which is what I was addressing. Oh, and you specifically asked for those "in deep" to answer, and, well, that would be me (amongst others).

You sort of come off like a self-righteous person.

I've been called worse. But you've been here for a total of 10 posts so far, so I'd try to not start off on the wrong foot with anyone. You may note, by the way, although I don't really focus on the "Thanks" function, I've had more thanks for the post here than any other. So if I come across as self-righteous (feeling that I am correct in these matters), there may be some evidence to support that...

Stereotyping youth as the majority of egotistical people is egotistical in and of itself. Everyone has an ego, Chris. Young, old, man, woman, white, yellow, black. Everyone. Becoming enlightened isn't about eliminating the ego, its about learning to LIVE with it. Being one. Realizing that if it IS then it is part of you. "Don't try to control your thoughts, and don't let your thoughts control you."

Again, son, you've been here for a total of 10 posts. We haven't really had a discourse yet, but to let you know, I'm really not the guy for you to try to educate on any of the above topics. The ego I am refering to is not the sense of self that people have, it's the inflated sense of self that comes with the invincibility and immortality of youth. And that is not stereotyping, it is understanding the psychology of the group in question. And so you know, both your original post, and this reply fit that bill perfectly.

I woud hazard to say that you are really not in a position to comment on enlightenment, especially to me. Because you have missed what that is as well. Really, don't lecture me.

Okay, everyone else, that was a little on the harsh side, so my apologies. I'll be nicer next time. Maybe.

Latest Discussions