How in the world? (REAL Shaolin Kung Fu)

Ryokeen

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright,
I have a few questions and so I thought this would be the place for them; however, if not please refer me to the proper place. I thought about placing it under the proper art forum; however, this is more of an oppinion/fact question.

Well actualy I have several.
Please note these are questions about the most elite schools that drill students from "before sun up to sun down."

One.)
Do practitioners of Shaolin Kung Fu (at the main schools) suffer any life term issues. I mean like in Muy Thai, it's not unheard of for someone to have terrible shins later on due to the intense training... so could the same be said about the intense training Shaolin Kung Fu Martial Artists go through at their schools?

Two.)
Generaly these students are very strong, yet terribly skinny... I'd assume it largely has to do with their diet, and lack of protein drinks and such that we Americans use to look bigger, or atleast in attempt to. Also, could it be that thier routines are mostly based on the body itself not so much weights?

Three.)
Has anyone visited one of these schools or a branch of one that can tell me about the training they expirienced. (If it was normal include what you did and for how long, if shortened try to tell what you did and for how long they usauly would drill others. Either way, tell me about the ffects it ahd on your body, both good and "bad.")

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Alright,
I have a few questions and so I thought this would be the place for them; however, if not please refer me to the proper place. I thought about placing it under the proper art forum; however, this is more of an oppinion/fact question.

Well actualy I have several.
Please note these are questions about the most elite schools that drill students from "before sun up to sun down."

One.)
Do practitioners of Shaolin Kung Fu (at the main schools) suffer any life term issues. I mean like in Muy Thai, it's not unheard of for someone to have terrible shins later on due to the intense training... so could the same be said about the intense training Shaolin Kung Fu Martial Artists go through at their schools?

Two.)
Generaly these students are very strong, yet terribly skinny... I'd assume it largely has to do with their diet, and lack of protein drinks and such that we Americans use to look bigger, or atleast in attempt to. Also, could it be that thier routines are mostly based on the body itself not so much weights?

Three.)
Has anyone visited one of these schools or a branch of one that can tell me about the training they expirienced. (If it was normal include what you did and for how long, if shortened try to tell what you did and for how long they usauly would drill others. Either way, tell me about the ffects it ahd on your body, both good and "bad.")

Umm, i assume you are talking about (competition) wushu with yr reference to whip-thin practicitioners? If this is so, then i imagine their build might have something to do with:
a) their age - wushu is athletically a very demanding practice and it favours the young.
b) the gymnastic build - wushu has a great deal of athletic leaps and kicks, easier to do if you are carrying less weight.

As far as long term health problems are concerned, i imagine it would be roughly the same as gymnastics. I've seen and heard of some shocking wushu injuries... my teacher broke his back in one incident (don't know how) and tore his lateral meniscus in his left knee in 4 places. Another guy i know dislocated his hip! :erg:
I did some wushu breifly, but i found it too demanding physically - the nail in the coffin for me was that there was no sparring in wushu either. But thankfully there are plenty of other styles of traditional CMA out there to explore... if you are already looking at a northern style, you could check out long fist? Unless that's what you meant by "Shaolin kung fu", in which case ignore me completely!
icon10.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Qi-tah, the OP is asking about Shaolin, not Gymnastic Wushu. RyoKeen, you would probably get good repsonses from the Northern Chinese section. Some of those guys have acctuly trained at Shaolin Si.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread moved to Chinese Martial Arts - General Forum
to stimulate conversation.

Brian R. VanCise
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Russbo.com has been a decent site in the past to get some answers from about Shaolin at the temple in China. He is responsive in my experience.

Gene Ching has both personal experience as well as connections. He writes for and moderates the Kungfu online forums and magazine.

I have found both of them to be responsive to questions in the past.

There is a gentleman who practiced there who posts here and on KF Online fairly frequently. Sadly I can only remember his name to be Italian? and starting with a 'G' at the moment.

Best of luck. Training injuries are not something which seems to be paid close attention to, even in modern times. I would imagine that plenty of people simply cannot undertake the level of intensity and certainly that injuries happen.

As for the issues with longevity of practice...ask one of those two for information or hopefully somebody here who has practiced there has an answer.

One of my brothers at the school I go to studied at the temple (not sure of inside or outside actually). If I get a chance to talk to him I will ask about what he might know.

Best regards,

Rob

Latest Discussions