How do you train yourself!

Mark77

White Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, in almost all full contact karate style, it's normal to train using pads, pao, boxing sacks and similar thinghs. But, what about shotokan?
When i used to play it, about ten years ago, i never used these equipments. Can some shotokan practitioners give me an aswer?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Shotokan experience is fifteen years older than yours, and was part of high school, so we practiced in the gymnasium. Our school was a parochial school and the closest thing to an official martial arts program was the wrestling team.

The instructor had some padded targets and a kicking shield (which may have been a made from piece of gear appropriated from the football team) and that was about it. Not much different at the school where I train now, except that we have a 'Bob' and a couple of Wavemasters. Probably the biggest difference in terms of equipment is that since I am in a Kukkiwon taekwondo school now, free sparring involves hogu.

Daniel

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, in almost all full contact karate style, it's normal to train using pads, pao, boxing sacks and similar thinghs. But, what about shotokan?
When i used to play it, about ten years ago, i never used these equipments. Can some shotokan practitioners give me an aswer?

For conditioning of the mind and body, we use a heavy bag that's mounted up against the wall. There's a bit of give to the bag itself, but because the bag isn't going to swing after being hit, the students must be conscious about keeping their fists closed when striking the bag.

The same holds true for kicking. If they aren't in a good stance when kicking the wall-mounted heavy bag, they're probably going to find themselves either falling away, or falling down.

We have two such mounted bags. One bag is mounted lower, and has a good bit more give to it, so that it's more appropriate for the kids. The other one is mounted higher for the adults.

Cayuga Karate

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've trained with several Shotokan groups over the years. Shields are fairly common, especially for kicking practice. Heavy bags required dojo space, and the schools I was in didn't have them.

OP
Mark77

Mark77

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, you are lucky!
Maybe a studied Shotokan in the wrong place. :(

Reaction score
Hi, I agreed with you. I´m 43 years old now, but when I was 12 I used to practice Shoto Kan ando don´t remembered we used nothing but the sparring training, in those days we didn´t have any kind of protection or pads or anything, we did everything barehanded

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Regrettably, our dojo uses none of this stuff (except for a kicking shield which we use perhaps once every couple months). I work with a free-standing heavy bag at home. I would much prefer to use focus mitts and thai pads for some of the kihon work instead of doing it all at the air.

OP
Mark77

Mark77

White Belt
Reaction score
I would much prefer to use focus mitts and thai pads for some of the kihon work instead of doing it all at the air.

I agree with you. But sometimes it's hard to change "Shotokan mind".

NW_Tengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojo, we use focus mitts, Thai shield, and makiwara. If I had to choose only one, makiwara wins hands down IMHO. Takes up very little space, and requires proper body mechanics to avoid injuries, so lessens the chance of reinforcing sloppy techniques. Best to learn initial use under supervision of a qualified instructor though.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojo, we use focus mitts, Thai shield, and makiwara. If I had to choose only one, makiwara wins hands down IMHO. Takes up very little space, and requires proper body mechanics to avoid injuries, so lessens the chance of reinforcing sloppy techniques. Best to learn initial use under supervision of a qualified instructor though.

Mind if I ask where in Oregon you're located, and which dojo you train with?

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mind if I ask where in Oregon you're located, and which dojo you train with?

Sorry, never mind, saw in one of your previous posts that you train with Suto up at the Intel dojo. I'm down at the Medford dojo with Debbie Gillaspie. Nice to see another JKA-US Northwest karateka around here :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I trained in Shotokan back in the 80's the only equipment we used were kicking shields and focus mitts. Sparring was pretty much all out with gear.

Latest Discussions