How do you pronounce Heian?

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned the five Heians from an instructor I am taking privates with about 2 or 3 months ago and am now being taught them again from a different instructor who has some variations in some of the movements. One thing I found strange is that they both pronounce the word differently and I've even heard a third pronounciation. How do you all pronounce Heian. Here are the three I've heard:

"Hey - on"
"Han" (as in Hand without the "d")
"He - in"

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First syllable: `hay' as in `haystack'
Second syllable: `en' as in the prefix in `encourage'

Stress on `hay'

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ayup. What Exile said.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoken like a true New Englander! :)

I always thought of that as a Maine/NH affirmation, though... is it also in Massachussetts?

It's from Yorkshire! they don't say hello here its ayup lad, ha's tha doing?" or "ayup lad thas never gonna get that in thar"the last is usually said with pessimistic glee that something will go wrong.
Well you can see how any Japanese is going to get mangled here!
They don't even pronouce water properly it comes out as watter (like batter)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's from Yorkshire! they don't say hello here its ayup lad, ha's tha doing?" or "ayup lad thas never gonna get that in thar"the last is usually said with pessimistic glee that something will go wrong.

I used to watch All Creatures Great and Small addictively. And the screenwriters managed to capture that sadopessimism of the Yorkshire countryside absolutely perfectly. I can almost hear one of those uphill farmers chuckling away and throwing lines like that into Herriot's ear as he tries to do some extremely unpleasant thing, coatless, in an unheated barn on a February morning... :uhohh:

Well you can see how any Japanese is going to get mangled here!

They don't even pronouce water properly it comes out as watter (like batter)

I understand that there are even more ...exotic... varieties of English spoken in the Cornish countryside....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to watch All Creatures Great and Small addictively. And the screenwriters managed to capture that sadopessimism of the Yorkshire countryside absolutely perfectly. I can almost hear one of those uphill farmers chuckling away and throwing lines like that into Herriot's ear as he tries to do some extremely unpleasant thing, coatless, in an unheated barn on a February morning... :uhohh:

Ah then you know where I live! It was filmed all around here! Looking out of my window onto the moors at the moment!
Sorry to hijack the thread! I did Wado Ryo for a long time and the pronunciations of all the Japanese depended on where the person using the words came from as a result I really don't know how to pronounce anything. At least everything in MMA is in English, well sort of as I believe you had to have subtitles for Micheal Bisping on the TUF programme!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah then you know where I live! It was filmed all around here! Looking out of my window onto the moors at the moment!

So you live in the Dales/moor country? I remember thinking that that had to be some of the most beautiful landscape in the world... I've actually been out on the Yorkshire moors once (we were driving up to Edinburgh from London), and I was struck the endless keening vastness of the place... had a hard time believing that we were less than 100 miles from the ocean in three directions...

Sorry to hijack the thread! I did Wado Ryo for a long time and the pronunciations of all the Japanese depended on where the person using the words came from as a result I really don't know how to pronounce anything. At least everything in MMA is in English, well sort of as I believe you had to have subtitles for Micheal Bisping on the TUF programme!

LOL!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spoken like a true New Englander! :)

I always thought of that as a Maine/NH affirmation, though... is it also in Massachussetts?

I work in NH and hope to by property in NH or Sothern ME before too long ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work in NH and hope to by property in NH or Sothern ME before too long ;)

Cool... so you're all set then!

Southern Maine, I've heard from colleagues, is phenomenally beautiful... I envy you, as well as Tez in her Yorkshire Dales splendor!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still prefer Peian :p

And I agree! I've said so in the past... but it's your coinage and you get the credit... and the obligation to explain to people (i) the fusion of the Okinawan and Japanese terminologies and (ii) how to pronounce it. My best guess is, first syllable is `pay' as in `payment', second is the `en' in my previous post. But you own the rights to it, so it's your call... :wink1:

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL! I was given the term by my teacher - he taught it to me as Pee-on. I've heard it mispronounced by a couple others in the organization "Peen-yon".

It's an amalgamation just as you stated - no further explanation needed.

We refer to the Naihonchis/Tekkis as Naihonchis, for the record too ;-).

We also train Empi and Wansu as two totally separate forms.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We refer to the Naihonchis/Tekkis as Naihonchis, for the record too ;-).

LOL! And given the fairly savage bunkai that have been worked out for the Naihonchis (Naihonchos??), that seems a completely appropriate version of the name... :EG:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh - on a totally (well not really) unrelated note - I'm building my set for filming :).

Excellent, Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing those kata in living, breathing reality...

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
i was always taught to pronounce it he on with the o sound like an a

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
We also pronounce it pinan.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To pronounce the word Heian correctly it is Hay-iAN meaning you say hay say the I but when you say I say half of the I meaning do not say IEE say AH then AN this is how my Japanese wife says it.

Latest Discussions