How do you help higher belts stay motivated?

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We all now that white belts have an enormous amount of motivation, but after some time the allure of a new kick, combination, form or self defense technique can fade. How do you guys keep yourself motivated or how do you help your higher belt students stay motivated?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to a good forum.

Use the search feature, since this has been discussed in various ways before and there are lots of good ideas in 'the files'.

Carl

OP
P

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually did search and nothing came back. I'll give it another go. Thanks

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There are always some motivation or another!

For me (being a red belt) I look to the black belts and watch how they execute their forms, their kicks, hand placements and even kihaps! There are some junior belts that can do round house kicks better than I can...if that isnt motivation I dont know what is!
Motivation should come from within, always strive to better than you actually think you are!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...there was a thread a while back about staying challenged and committed. I think the discussion was more related to black belts than colored belts. Finding the right search term may take a little effort. I'll dig later if I get some time.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all now that white belts have an enormous amount of motivation, but after some time the allure of a new kick, combination, form or self defense technique can fade. How do you guys keep yourself motivated or how do you help your higher belt students stay motivated?

Nice and valid question. The way I keep motivated is trying to learn something new for myself, I have to admit it, inside dojang there are sometimes I can-t get motivation from my sambunim, the training is always the same and only in those rare nights when we do some self defense techs I really enjoy the class. So basically I keep motivated by forums like this, kenpo karate clases I atendend and studying from the internet and books.

Manny

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Motivation should come from within-

This is key. As instructors, we can try and motivate, but it is always up to the student whether or not they want to be there. If they really don't want to be, no tactic will reel their interest.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Higher level coloured belts are usually motivated by the simple fact that they enjoy doing MA and have made a choise to be at least somewhat serious about it. After all they have been training several times a week for at least 3-4 years and seen a lot of other people come and go. An instructor just needs to keep guiding and keep giving them challenges, a fellow student should strive to be a good uke and give feeback.

As the OP pointed out, new things are always exciting. Having guest instructors from different styles from time to time can be a good idea. It gives a new perspective and can help you realize new things about your own art even.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that being surrounded by higher belts will always keep me motivated as it makes me feel like I have so much more to learn. The class I attended last year I was one of only a handful of blackbelts. I was regularly asked to teach the coloured belts form, I was rarely challenged in sparring and there were times I struggled a little bit for motivation. This year I am training in a differnt class (same club, but my old instructor moved away) of about 50 students. The majority of the students are 3rd, 4th and 5th dans who still train their *** off. During form I am blown away at how well these guys can effortlessy run through each form with precision. We then pad up and spar and I am barely able to get a hand on them. The whole experience is actually quite daunting. I leave every class feeling like I need to do practice, practice and more practice to keep my standard where it should be. Being around many higher ranking students certainly keeps me motivated.

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you could visit other schools with high caliber exponents. Maybe actually practice another style that interest you.
Maybe take a break from all practice. Then you'll get the urge to resume practice.
You'll have to find the motivation from some where or within.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the gueps enjoy learning new material and the yudanja enjoy trying to perfect the material they've been given. At some point, the motivation must come from within, meaning you are not training for that next belt, or trophy, but for youself. The path of a martial artist is still a lonely trail.

OP
P

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I think the hardest part is keeping kids motivated. I have little trouble in passing on the same kind of advise to adults but the kids don't really grasp the internal motivation factor, well many don't, and some do...maybe I'll just start each class with a scene from Karate Kid. :rofl:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For kids the motivation is more about having fun and feeling like they are improving. Even belt testing is pretty distant for them, but they respond well to praise and being challenged. It also helps for the class content to be varied so it doesn't become boringly routine.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
a lot has to do with age.

I think after a certain level it has to be a Passion or there is no way to stay motivated. About a year ago I quit Karate every time I left my every time dojo (i was burnt out, had bad students and parents that did not pay, and the worst was a bad attitude from me). I just could not make myself stop going. The thought made me sick. So I pressed deeper in my own study learned new stuff. Now my school is better than I could have ever dreamed. I think the truth is that if one a passion for the arts they maybe lose motive for that school but never for the art.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, at 49, that still sounds about right. :)

For kids the motivation is more about having fun and feeling like they are improving. Even belt testing is pretty distant for them, but they respond well to praise and being challenged. It also helps for the class content to be varied so it doesn't become boringly routine.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A while ago, someone posted in another thread that the instructor is responsible for the safety of the white belts when they train. The student and the instructor are both responsible for the safety of the colored belts, and the student is resposible for their own safety once the are a black belt. I wonder if the same basic idea can be applied to motivation.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
A while ago, someone posted in another thread that the instructor is responsible for the safety of the white belts when they train. The student and the instructor are both responsible for the safety of the colored belts, and the student is resposible for their own safety once the are a black belt. I wonder if the same basic idea can be applied to motivation.

thats great! I think you are correct.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think not. Of course, as one becomes more experienced/skilled (belt color aside), personal safety and motivation becomes more of an individual responsibility. But working with seniors, ranging from 1st dan to 7th dan, my limited experience is that they all make a point of becoming aware of another's 'level'. At some point, it's synergistic.