How do you fight 'city hall'?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
bare with me, I can't be cleared, much of this is still in process and confidential.

But I kind of need to vent before my gourd explodes.

K, long story, grab that Java:

Person (single, with limited funds, chronicle health issues) has run in with the authorities (or rather trouble caused by neighbors).
The issues are clearly defined by letter of law (but there are 2 versions, the indepth definition varies a little) But something that can be interpreted. Person works with authorities within the means available. Court is involved.

About a year later the authorities step in. There is really nothing different, but the timing seems off: The person had left town to part take in a trade show type deal on the invitation and ticket of a benefactor, in hope to advance the side business. Neighbors know person is out of state and claim 'abandonment' (no, not for themselves)
Authorities step up, remove property from the premises. (it's something alive, but I don't want to get into any details, the net is big and I don't want to muck things up)

To make the long story short, court rules in favor of the authorities. (the story is very long and somewhat puzzling)

Now, there are 3 other people with a vested interest in the 'property'
At first the authorities seemed interested to work with them, but it turns out not so much. One was told since they had no ownership rights they were out of luck claiming said property, contrary to previous information. One of the other 2 was told that the property could be returned after alteration that impacts the use. Now the ones with ownership interest are being told they are basically accomplices in the incident and won't get the property back.
Never mind that (I was not aware of the 3rd person) 2 of them live many states over.
There had been some more rumors and suspicion that 'there is more to those actions', the original person being made an example (while cases with a similar problem, but much worse base scenario are basically ignored) or that somebody wanted to get their hands on the property, which is even in the crashed economy somewhat valuable)

Sooo

Now I am sitting here wishing I had a well stuffed mattress and some buried mason jars to hire a Cochrin type lawyer to mix things up.

(If you made it through to here, thank you. And no, I can't tell much more about it, I might have said too much already.)

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
umm... you said nothing lol.

sorry but I know that all makes sense to you but it makes no sense to anyone who doesnt know at least some of the story.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at least I vented and didn't muck things up. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

OK, maybe this works:

How do you deal with authorities that seem to have their own agenda when enforcing the law and make promises they know they can't keep or had no intention to in the first place.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, um, I understand the need for confidentiality in these types of cases, but your post is way too vague for any of us to offer substantive advice. Living property? I'm guessing some type of animal was taken to a shelter or something? Please tell us you didn't leave a baby at home!

Without knowing more, all I can advise with any certainty is to get a friggin attorney! If it's a civil matter, there are all types of legal aid agencies; if it's a criminal matter, there's public defenders. I know money's tight for a lot of people, but it sounds like you need some legal advice.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, no, there was no baby involved ^_^

The matter itself went to court. But it seems there is a lot of 'politics' or 'good old boys club' involved so somewhere in the matter there seems to be no justice.

(Bless you for trying to decypher my cryptic rant)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well my advice is to do or do not do something about something that is unless you may or may not already have done something assuming that you should do something and that not doing something about something in the event doing anything may or may not make it better or worse and of course you may or may not want to get a lawyer :D

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I suppose....

Banging my head on the table before I bite huge chunks out of my keyboard....

:lol:

(I think the most logical course of action right now is to go and buy a powerball ticket)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And if my very clear and concise advice does not work as it applies to fighting city hall you might want to try this

And just between you and I... I may or may not ever have said any of this :D

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well my advice is to do or do not do something about something that is unless you may or may not already have done something assuming that you should do something and that not doing something about something in the event doing anything may or may not make it better or worse and of course you may or may not want to get a lawyer :D

I am so putting that on a bumpersticker! :rofl:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah, man, no panic more a "wtf do you SOBs think who you are?!!!" type of deal.

and no, I am not one of the people involved. Neither directly nor via 'vested interest' or proximity.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell the person to leave it with a friend so it doesn't drive the neighbors crazy next time. Especially if this person intends to breed it. The authorities ALWAYS have their own agenda, which is to make the complaint go away however it takes.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I'm confused.
(sorry)
Mission accomplished?

seemed to have been the intend of above action: remove 'life possession' from property for good.

(I know, not what you meant.)

But how do you oversee that authorities do not go about their business at the expense of the public. Or worse, at personal gain to themselves or somebody in the network.

Which is at this time pure speculation (but of a somewhat educated nature)

(but seriously, when the whole story came to light :confused: was my primary state of mind, too)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Public authorities answer to the public. There are always means and channels of complaint. Employ them. If you don't get satisfaction from that, you can go up the chain... or to the 4th Estate.

One note: make sure you really have the whole story. Among other things, as a general rule, it does take a fairly substantial showing before a judge to seize any property permanently.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or a lack of funds....

But that's aside the point.

And yes, the whole story would be an interesting read (I am not in possession of - heck - I'd guess half the facts)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This reminds me of my situation, I'm in a pickle because of the City overstepping its juristiction because they were upset that I beat them in court and now certain property is being taken from me because of thier action and its been a ***** and a half fighting with them, and I'm practically ready to hire a lawyer and make them pay, myself.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation with my oldest son. I'm ready to get the press involved.

Look for grass-roots organizations and an ombudsman. Oh, and a good lawyer would be good ... but public pressure works (just look at the prez and his BC).

Latest Discussions