How did Newsweek get Sarah Palin to pose with a rifle?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How did Newsweek get Sarah Palin to pose with a rifle?

Excerpt:
LATimes Blog The Dish Rag
Elizabeth Snead October 8, 2008

How did Newsweek convince Gov. Sarah Palin to pose with a rifle for its cover?
Simple. It didn't.
Instead, it used an archive (fancy speak for old) stock photo of her taken back in June 2002 and used it for the cover without her knowledge.
End Excerpt
The comments are the best part

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
morons...
I must beg to differ.
get-a-brain-morans.jpg

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't really see a problem with it, magazines use photos for covers without the subject's permission all the time.

jf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you except from a media entirely in the tank for Obama?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The initial comments did indeed make the points I would've made.

I hope it isn't just me that is appalled at the ignorance of someone making supposedly intelligent remarks who can't tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun (or indeed how said items should be handled).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know guy's all of the politicians that I know pose with
rifles in their hands every chance they get.
icon6.gif

This is a non issue as far as the photograph is concerned.

Now the content in the magazine may be a different story!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a commercial on TV last night for Obama where there is a guy in camo hunting. The commercial goes on to say that Obama supports 2nd amendment rights. Ok fine. Then they commercial switches and the same guy is talking about McCain being out of touch and it is a COMPLETELY different topic. I wish I could remember offhand what it did say, but it took me by surprise that the setting and intro had NOTHING to do with what they were trying to say.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw a commercial on TV last night for Obama where there is a guy in camo hunting. The commercial goes on to say that Obama supports 2nd amendment rights. Ok fine. Then they commercial switches and the same guy is talking about McCain being out of touch and it is a COMPLETELY different topic. I wish I could remember offhand what it did say, but it took me by surprise that the setting and intro had NOTHING to do with what they were trying to say.

I'm afraid that too many people think that the 2nd Amendment is all about hunting and being a sportsman.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for you folks who didnt bother to check Dons link.

Palin is posing with an open over/under shotgun over her shoulder, not a rifle.

The writer is a typical "icky guns" moron who writes about things he/she doesnt know about.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How? They could probably have gotten a new photo simply by asking. She isn't one of the politicians who has to borrow a gun come election time. She actually uses one.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You guys remember Kerry saying he was a duck hunter and posed with a shotgun (and a simi-auto at that, like the one he would have banned.) And remember when Hillary said she used to hunt?

And here they are, trying to make Palin somehow look bad cause she knows guns. She knows 10x times more than Kerry and Hillary would ever know (and forget Obama, he knows zip.)

Deaf

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you read the article ... jeez, I can't connect the article with the picture at all.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you read the article ... jeez, I can't connect the article with the picture at all.
Maybe that is because it isn't about the article AT ALL. It's about the idiotic blog post by a LA Times "journalist".
You totally missed the point, and the joke. Congrats.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe that is because it isn't about the article AT ALL. It's about the idiotic blog post by a LA Times "journalist".
You totally missed the point, and the joke. Congrats.

Maybe because the point of the blog post was pointless. It's like saying a person's face is ugly. It's a personal opinion and completely out of context with judging the person as a whole.

But again ... it's no reason for you to attempt another insult at me.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are a lot of arguable 'intelligent' positions to believe that Obama holds......but believing he SUPPORTS 2nd Amendment rights is a flat out LIE!

You'd have to have a pretty darned bizarre version of 'support' and a warped view of the 2nd Amendment to believe that Obama supports anything of the sort.......but those kind of ads are designed to appeal to moron vote.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid that too many people think that the 2nd Amendment is all about hunting and being a sportsman.
That's what Obama's folks are counting on.......he says he 'Supports' 2nd Amendment rights.......meaning he won't take your old double-barrel bird gun and your Winchester model 1897 lever action 30-30 (Yet!) but you will, of course, have to register them.....and your M1 carbine 'assault rifle' has GOT TO GO!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of arguable 'intelligent' positions to believe that Obama holds......but believing he SUPPORTS 2nd Amendment rights is a flat out LIE!

You'd have to have a pretty darned bizarre version of 'support' and a warped view of the 2nd Amendment to believe that Obama supports anything of the sort.......but those kind of ads are designed to appeal to moron vote.

See ... you had me up until you had to insult everyone. Why do you need to do that?

It's the uninformed voters they hope to reach. There is no question Obama supports gun restrictions and it's one reason I won't vote for him.

• Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
  • FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
  • Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
  • Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
  • 2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
  • Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
  • Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
  • Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
  • Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
  • Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

Source. Go there, scroll down to * Barack Obama on Gun Control * and click on the link "11 full quotes on Gun Control." There you will find a belief system that erodes at constitutional rights.

You can compare that to this - his voting record.

Latest Discussions