Hopkido

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I saw someone with the word "Hopkido" on their DoBok at a recent event. I am curious if this is just an instructor who can't spell? Or is this some type of spin off art?

Thanks

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did a Search here and only found Hapkido..Did a Google search for Hopkido and it asked Do you mean Hapkido.. Could be a mispelling....

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was starting to speculate about boxing kangaroos being retrained in Korean MAs, but... better not go there! :wink1:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was starting to speculate about boxing kangaroos being retrained in Korean MAs, but... better not go there! :wink1:

Thank You for not going there...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw someone with the word "Hopkido" on their DoBok at a recent event. I am curious if this is just an instructor who can't spell? Or is this some type of spin off art?

Thanks

Wow :) Never seen it SPELLED wrong, but I sure have heard "variations."

In addition to "hopkido" I've also heard

"hopakido"

"hapikido / happykido"

Way back when I was still playing in bands, there was this drummer buddy of mine who played in a band with me who used to call me

"Joe Jitsu." :rofl:

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks
Non-martial artists will use nicknames, mispronunciations, and misspellings of many Asian terms, however if you saw this on a Dobok, then it is most likely one of three things:

1. A novice student, or untrained, independent instructor who has heard the pronunciation of "Hapkido" ("hap" sounding like the English "hop") and has inappropriately translated it as "Hopkido."

2. Someone who is mispronouncing the word as "hope-key-doe," thus misspelling it.

3. An instructor who wants to be different, and not associated with the mainstream of Hapkido organizations (perhaps lacking credentials) and purposely changed the spelling.

Since Korean language is transcribed to English as a phonetic method of what the vowels and consonants sound like, there are many variations to most of the words, yet even standardized spellings have been changing in recent times. Many novice do not realize that the accepted translation of the Korean "ah" sound as in the word "hapkido" 합기도, is written using the letter "A".

On the other hand, with the dialectic accents of various regions, the soft "p" and hard "b," as well as the soft "k" and hard "g" are often interchanged. It usually depends on where they fall in the word (beginning or end of a syllable). I have seen some Koreans who write it as "Hapgido" or "Habgido" In any event, using the "o" in place of the "a" is generally a misspelling or mispronunciation.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have seen some Koreans who write it as "Hapgido" or "Habgido" In any event, using the "o" in place of the "a" is generally a misspelling or mispronunciation.
It's probably a matter of which romanization system is being used to transliterate the Hangul to English. The South Korean government's current romanization system writes it as "Habgido".

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There a chance that the art was spelled "Hapkido" the lower-case "a" looks like a lower-case "o" due to the font used in the emblem or due to some type of fading of the emblem.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There a chance that the art was spelled "Hapkido" the lower-case "a" looks like a lower-case "o" due to the font used in the emblem or due to some type of fading of the emblem.

Thats the most likely, if the words were sewed or transfer then the protruding parts of the "a" could have come off. I remember my old Tae-kwon-do dobok (after about a year) had the transfer "Tae K o Do"

Good find though, I'd laugh if that were real.
I've seen plenty of t-shirts with Kung Foo on them, its only a matter of time before someone broadens their mind a little. Watch out Eyecido, Jeet-gun-do and Key Gong

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Nope, this looked brand new, and was very clearly written. Also, I saw more than 1 student with it on.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, this looked brand new, and was very clearly written. Also, I saw more than 1 student with it on.

Ah...guess not then. :)

Maybe I better stick with Seelat. :boing2:

crunk

White Belt
Reaction score
well my instructor is a 7th black from north korea by the name of Kyung Woo Choi, (no relation) and he spells it hopkido all one word no hyphens. i have seen many other variations but i belive they are probably misspellings by white contemorary instuctors.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
well my instructor is a 7th black from north korea by the name of Kyung Woo Choi, (no relation) and he spells it hopkido all one word no hyphens. i have seen many other variations but i belive they are probably misspellings by white contemorary instuctors.

Hello all,

I have seen many variations of the spelling, using hyphens, upper and lower case letters, including a copywritten version by a Korean gentleman like this - habgido - never really cared who spelled it which way - but CRUNK, did you get your daily dose of blatant bigotry out?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uh yeah, GGM Park studied under Won-Kwang Wha. He was certainly Korean, Dr. He-Young Kimm, GM Bong Yul Shin all spell hapkido, as hapkido.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it an American thing? Like not being able to spell colour, centre, tyre, favourite, theatre, catalogue, cheque etc? >sits back waiting to be flamed lol <

Only kidding! :)

Latest Discussions