Hook Punch

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I very much enjoyed reading this thread. I'm a pretty big fan of hooks myself. I've noticed the weakness of hooks is range and angle. Plus throwing them leaves you wide open -- so boxers would set it up with jabs and crosses. The obvious strategy would be to keep moving so you never eat a good one; circle away from the dominant/power arm. Doing so will never give them the right angle to throw a proper hook. This strategy isn't 100% reliable because they'll still try to stun you with jabs and crosses.

I also agree that a good easy counter for hooks is what Odin touched on: upper cuts. Upper cut counters are fast and will provide you with the needed shoulder protection incase the hook follow through (I'm talking about a western upper cut which is different from the long arm muay thai one). Uppercuts doesn't have the same umph as a hook though, so finish them off with your own hooks/boot to the face.

Then there is the riskier and explosive counter also called the duck-under counter which Cabalcincotiros explained. Anyway to summarize the thread: keep your hands up, keep moving or run away. All perfectly sound strategy against a hook. :)

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My favorite technique to use against a hook is an aikido technique called "Shiho Nage" or the four directions throw.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
The first one we learn goes like this. Assume the attacker throws a right hook. Step back with your right leg and simulateously throw a knife hand to the crook of his elbow. With your right hand, throw a palm strike to the face and then reach around with the same hand, grab him by the back of the neck, bend him forward and throw a right knee strike to the solar plexus. Then give him a shove and get out of there.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it would depend on which hook, lead or rear. As well as orthodox or southpaw. Some people have already mentioned the haymaker which is usualy the rear hand but it's not to insist this is always the case. The haymaker from the rear hand usualy sends out a telegraph, literaly you can discypher morris code while it's on its way and figure to watch out for the big rear hand. LOL. If I am dealing with a rear hook, not someone makin hay I would hope to shoulder roll away from it to cover my chin and mandible of my jaw while trying to take his lead leg with my lead leg round kick to the inner thigh ( If in mirror image to him I take the outer thigh or knee). If dealing with a lead hook and granted I was not quick enough to slip out under it and tag his lead leg as mentioned before, I would elbow cover my ear and jaw line and jab straight in probably followed by stepping into a cross or clinch. One thing I would not do is be too habitual about stepping to the outside of his lead hand trying to exclusively get away from his power hand as I could walk right into a lead hook itself or get caught by a low line lead leg keeping me from stepping out from inline with the rear hand or foot (Either one is like my opponent saying, stay infront of my cross etc...). When I was younger in the ABF I got suckered more than once by someone shoulder faking a cross and/or stepping out to thier lead getting me to try and avoid the power rear cross/hook/haymaker and I just stepped right into a slick lead hook to the head. That was my mistake and not to preach to anyone, just sharing. As for body hooks, That's another bag O'tricks. PEACE JIMI

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I raise my arm and drive out into the underside of the forarm with the outside edge of my arm or hand. The underside of the forearm is soft and has plenty of nerves which are easily affected and the hand goes numb. I couple that with a ball kick to the closest shin to weaken his stance. Anyone who's ever whacked their shin on a low table knows how much that hurts. From there a quick counter is needed and depends on the target availible, a knuckle punch into the solar plexus can be good if all I want to do is end the encounter with minimum damage but their arm makes a nice path to follow for a palm to the cheek or a willow palm to the ear.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know from basic boxing stuff always have your hands up. In NGA we blend in when a punch is being thrown. So if it was a right round house we would blend in to the attackers left and do whatever technique. If I blend in to the punch by accident I usually end up slamming into the attckers bicep and not taking the full impact of the blow.

For a hook that would have to be in close, we really practice that if the attacker starts getting that close we should premptivly strike with a kick or such to keep them away and\or prepare for counter attacker or follow attack or make a run for it depending on the situation or what not.

If they person does get in that close I could probably shorten my blend and I would have to be quick. Or block and strike or make sure my hands are up. This question was good because when I get to my next class I am going to have to experiment with this attack within the confinds of the art I study to see what happens. Looks like I will get to be the throw around dummy once again for another of my what if questions :)

bmcgonag

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the circumstance, ring or street. I'm a street fighter though trained in TMA, I used it for 10 years as a cop, so I fight "dirty". If you are close enough for a tight, well-trained, hook, then you were close enough for a knee, kick to the groin, a front leg sweep, or a full on tackle long before that.

If in the ring, stay outside, throw my hook first, keep my hands up in a guard position, hard to say til you are there. My position at the time it's thrown will have a lot to do with whether I counter strike, duck, block, or get knocked flat out.

Best,

Brian

treva

White Belt
Reaction score
The best block for a hook is the wing block. Imagine brushing your hand through the hair on the side of your head with your hand ending covering your ear. Your elbow will be pointing forward towards the person throwing the hook. You'l end up eating the hook on your shoulder.

I like the wingblock because it doesn't depend on your agility/coordination and how well you can time the punch to parry their arm, or hit the underside of their arm or whatever. It isn't fancy - it's very easy, you just get your arm up from guard and cover your ear.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the circumstance, ring or street. I'm a street fighter though trained in TMA, I used it for 10 years as a cop, so I fight "dirty". If you are close enough for a tight, well-trained, hook, then you were close enough for a knee, kick to the groin, a front leg sweep, or a full on tackle long before that.

If in the ring, stay outside, throw my hook first, keep my hands up in a guard position, hard to say til you are there. My position at the time it's thrown will have a lot to do with whether I counter strike, duck, block, or get knocked flat out.

Best,

Brian

Good advice -- in boxing situations, it's always better to be aggressive.

Latest Discussions