Home practice equipment question

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a ringside cobra reflex bag. It's interesting as much for it's movement as it is for the smallish striking surface. (Fun to try to get the timing while it's zipping back and fourth) I mainly use it for punching drills, but it works well enough for high kicks and the like too. The pros are it's sturdy, doesn't move around, and it whips around like crazy when you smack it. THe cons are, you gotta fill those rocks with sand, and once they're optimally filled, the unit weighs over 105lbs. Can make it a bit akward to move around the workout area. Also a good idea to get a pair of bag gloves if you're going to do much punching. The anchorpiece is a little conical hunk of plastic that can catch your knuckles through the bag if you're off target. You'll also want to have an air pump handy to inflate the bag.

Can't really comment on the KB gym. I wonder how sturdy the thing really is though. People using it for cardio kickboxing aren't really the types to be laying a heavy amount of abuse on the thing. Looks like it could slide around.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
THe cons are, you gotta fill those rocks with sand, and once they're optimally filled, the unit weighs over 105lbs.

He he, I filled my standing heavy bag with 180lbs of sand and can still drive it across the rug with most kicks and some hand strikes and then have to pull it back into place (allthough the physical mechanics look different as far as how force will effect the unit; hat thing looks like it will bend more)

Anyway, this is what I'm usisng in my apartment http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-freestanding-heavy-bag.html

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
I have a ringside cobra reflex bag. It's interesting as much for it's movement as it is for the smallish striking surface. (Fun to try to get the timing while it's zipping back and fourth) I mainly use it for punching drills, but it works well enough for high kicks and the like too. The pros are it's sturdy, doesn't move around, and it whips around like crazy when you smack it. THe cons are, you gotta fill those rocks with sand, and once they're optimally filled, the unit weighs over 105lbs. Can make it a bit akward to move around the workout area. Also a good idea to get a pair of bag gloves if you're going to do much punching. The anchorpiece is a little conical hunk of plastic that can catch your knuckles through the bag if you're off target. You'll also want to have an air pump handy to inflate the bag.

Can't really comment on the KB gym. I wonder how sturdy the thing really is though. People using it for cardio kickboxing aren't really the types to be laying a heavy amount of abuse on the thing. Looks like it could slide around.

Is the height of the Corba reflex adjustable?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cobra reflex bag looks good if you have the height already. Wouldn't want to hit the pole.

I got the second one. Turns out they manufactured it in MN. Well, I wanted mine for blind spin heel practice. Its okay, minimally. Can't hit it too hard, has no resistance, spins like crazy and you have to reset each time. It didn't scoot at all and I filled it up with water but easily repositionable as the base is small. I got one for the dojang but it was promptly broken. The inside support of the paddles is plastic easily broken. I duct taped a old kitchen knife in there but it just broke again. For target practice-ok, hitting hard-not good. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Faye said:
Is the height of the Corba reflex adjustable?
Yeah. From 5' to 7' as I recall. TW, the ringside model has padding around the upper bar. Still stings if you miss but at least you're not smacking metal. ;)

Freep, the Everlast sounds like my Wavemaster. That thing moves around like crazy when I kick it. (Major pain since I have a tiny workout area.) The Cobra doesn't have that problem though since it's essentially a speed bag on a stck. Way less mass to counteract. The spring in the center helps keep it where you put it too. It's very solid.

OP
F

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are there any stores that carry these? I would love to check them out in person before buying them online. My sportsmart only has the wavemaster type and hanging bags.. Thanks!

Latest Discussions