HK Ving Tsun Full Contact Competition

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is a video of a recent Ving Tsun Full Contact Competition. This was my first ever Full Contact competition. This was the 30- 50 years old 80 KG weight category. I was at 73 KG and my opponent about 80 KGS give and take. Age wise I am turning 37 and him either 39 or 40. I forgot.

The rules were no large whipping punches, no strikes to the neck, eyes, throat, back of the neck etc. No kicking below the knees, no round house kicks nor turning back kicks. Side kicks are allowed but no stepping side kicks. Grappling is not allowed and throw downs aren't allowed either. This was an event to try and kick off and promote a Ving Tsun Full Contact competition.

Here is the same fight but with a different camera and at a different Angle. Feel free to make constructive comments please.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtMjEy6ck10

Please feel free to make constructive comments as I am always looking for ways to improve myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
No idea which fighter you are, so I'll just point out a couple of things I saw both guys doing that I thought could have been done better. Hands need to be a bit higher. When they start out low they must travel further to both strike or defend. Keep the elbows in except when specifically doing technies that call for the elbow to be outside of the nipple line. This will also make it easier to keep your hands up. Both fighters looked like they were fighting on a balance beam. A lot of forward and back stepping, but not so many angles. angles will give you a mechanical advantage and open up more target areas.

kudos to both men for getting in there and trading hands. A lot of guys want to talk the talk, but never have done what you did. Martial arts of any style are seen with a whole new light when performed at full contact.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I am the one in RED.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all, well done for getting in there and testing yourself. Your ooponent was doing some pretty wild swinging at times but you kept your cool and controlled the centre with your punches so that was good.
as was already said, you could do with using more footwork and maybe changing up the angles of you attacks a little more.Think switching dynamically ( with a step) between chor ma, jee ng ma,huen ma etc. Also it seemed to me, and I could be wrong, that sometimes when you were pressing forward you seemed to be coming up a little on the balls of your feet and almost reaching over a bit instead of staying rooted.
Then again it's easy to criticize from behind a keyboard, completely different when your facing an opponent who out weighs you by a fair bit so again,
good for you and well done.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good job getting out there and having a go. I'd love to have a competition like that locally.

What did you think of the rule set? Work effectively in your opinion? Little bit limiting? In terms of the no grappling rule. Does that mean no grabbing limbs or just no grabbing of the body?

You looked good there. Obviously looking in via a computer and not being there I see things that I would alter. But as earlier mentioned, much easier said then done. You looked dominant in the punching exchanges particularly once the first or second strike snuck through.

Main thing I would look for would be a few angle adjustments and try to attack from the outside as opposed to firing straight up the middle. Esp if you are the smaller fighter. Whilst all schools are different we were always taught to try and get on the outside unless you have size advantage, or are very confident.

Luke

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
No idea which fighter you are, so I'll just point out a couple of things I saw both guys doing that I thought could have been done better. Hands need to be a bit higher. When they start out low they must travel further to both strike or defend. Keep the elbows in except when specifically doing technies that call for the elbow to be outside of the nipple line. This will also make it easier to keep your hands up. Both fighters looked like they were fighting on a balance beam. A lot of forward and back stepping, but not so many angles. angles will give you a mechanical advantage and open up more target areas.

kudos to both men for getting in there and trading hands. A lot of guys want to talk the talk, but never have done what you did. Martial arts of any style are seen with a whole new light when performed at full contact.

Ditto, I agree with WC_lun's statements. May I ask how long you've been training in Wing Chun?

Also, a well deserved pat on the back to you for getting out there and testing your skills in the ring. It's not easy to do, but you did it. Congrats.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Rules were created to help promote Full Contact Ving Tsun. As for it being limiting or not, personally I think they were okay. Once I was on the mat, i actually forgot about the rules except for the hitting in the throat/ neck areas.

As for grappling rules, you can't grab the body, but you can grab the limbs. However grabbing the limbs, you have a maximum of about 8 seconds to do something. There is also a limitation of the type of grab you do. It needs to be related to Ving Tsun.

After reviewing the vidoes like a million times on my own, I noticed that i need to work on entering from an angle a bit more. However when both parties are moving.. it's easier said than done. Nevertheless, it is an area that could use some improvements.

As for my years of Ving Tsun, it's been on and off for a number of years.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everything looks easier when your not the one trading hands :)

If I were coaching you I wouldn't worry about large angles. Just train to be able to get the flank. You can do that by just having your foot outside of thier foot. So it can be just a matter of inches, but it can change the game drastically.

Another thing I'd work on with you on is controlling the space while moving in on the center line a little bit more. You didn't move back much and that is a huge step in the right direction. If you are having trouble getting the flank, and on good fighters you'll have trouble, if you can move forward with structure and a decent defense you'll do a couple of things. You'll move from chi sau to que sau range along a bridge usually, making it easier to chm kui them. If you don't chum kui them, you will still be in far enough that you'll cause a flanking effect to happen with thier upper body. That forces them to recover. Once they start recovering, you keep on them, which you seem pretty good at. The key is getting the into recovery mode. With the quality of your attacking hands, you's have a half step time frame advantage on them and will be able to maintain that advantage fairly easily.

I don't want it to seem like i'm being critical of what you did. I'm not trying to be. You asked for advice and I'm trying to offer it. You have my respect for getting in there and doing it. You did well and it is pretty obvious you have trained.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes the angles/ the Flank is what i am referring to. Just a little bit so it's not so straight on. Thanks for your advice on controlling space as well. Your comments were not critical at all. As I said, I like to keep an open mind on areas where I can improve.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wk - nice to see you getting in some good front kick/stomps, and followed with offensive strikes. Next time ... when you had them backing up, don't let
up, keep the pressure on until they fall or step out of the ring. :cheers:

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still considered a beginner so i can not critique much. I will say the footwork in both fighters seemed to me to be more boxing like in movement and not Wing Chun efficient. Some of the other guys punching seemed more out of desperation and kind of wild for Wing Chun standards, but hey....you guys got in there and not only tested yourselves, but shared it with the forum. For that I will say THANK YOU and GREAT JOB!!! It's never easy nor does it take minimum ball size to put yourself out there for anyone to criticize, be it full contact or training videos, and I respect you for that a lot.

Thanks again.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice vid man, good job on the win too.

The one thing I think us Chun guys do too much is drop our hands, or fight from a very low guard, something I think you avoided pretty well actually. You kept your hands up and had a few good bursts there. I think the idea of competitive Chun with rules is a bit strange imo, it takes away some of the primary weapons of the art, as does the use of gloves, all things considered that was a good clean fight though.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Yeah I know i should have kept up with the pressure when they were backing up then. I blame it on a lack of conditioning on my part. =P

Wk - nice to see you getting in some good front kick/stomps, and followed with offensive strikes. Next time ... when you had them backing up, don't let
up, keep the pressure on until they fall or step out of the ring. :cheers:

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I have was actually using a Wing Chun YJKYM stance BUT at a foward stance. However given that both of us were moving, there were times that I leaned more than I should have and reached more than I should have. Nevertheless, vidoes of this fight helps me pick up the little stuff when I am reviewing.

I don't mind Criticism as long as they are constructive and not the usual um.. where is the tan.. where is the fok.. where is the bong sau? etc.

As for my opponent it did seem that he threw out punches for the sake of hoping something will land.

I'm still considered a beginner so i can not critique much. I will say the footwork in both fighters seemed to me to be more boxing like in movement and not Wing Chun efficient. Some of the other guys punching seemed more out of desperation and kind of wild for Wing Chun standards, but hey....you guys got in there and not only tested yourselves, but shared it with the forum. For that I will say THANK YOU and GREAT JOB!!! It's never easy nor does it take minimum ball size to put yourself out there for anyone to criticize, be it full contact or training videos, and I respect you for that a lot.

Thanks again.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are right about the hands. Actually i noticed that i dropped the hands a bit too much too. However my thoughts was that from a far away distance where he couldn't reach me, i can pretty much do whatevers. However at a 1 step or 1 and 1/2 step distance i should keep my hands up. It's a bad habit from me, something I need to constantly remind myself. Well if i take a few more head shot, I will remember.

Competitive Chun with rules was something we are trying to see how it works out. I am sure we will be making adjustments for the rules in the future. Thanks again for your comments.

Nice vid man, good job on the win too.

The one thing I think us Chun guys do too much is drop our hands, or fight from a very low guard, something I think you avoided pretty well actually. You kept your hands up and had a few good bursts there. I think the idea of competitive Chun with rules is a bit strange imo, it takes away some of the primary weapons of the art, as does the use of gloves, all things considered that was a good clean fight though.

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
well done just gettin in there mate, must be difficult with all that gear on to really feel what your opponent is doing though.

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Maybe, but because he was wild swinging a lot of the times, I couldn't really "feel" what he was doing. I was more focused on what i want to do and how I was to go about it. Also being this was my first ever full contact match, all i wanted to do was to finish it fast and in one piece. Thus i had less chance to experiment. The gear was actually pretty light, but nevertheless they were still there.

well done just gettin in there mate, must be difficult with all that gear on to really feel what your opponent is doing though.

chain punch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Echoing the words from other posts, well done for getting in there. Video will help a great amount, I used it my PE lessons at school and this it the most significant tool in accelerating learning (coupled with talking about the video). This is something my club is beginning to do; putting on 16oz gloves and taking the sparring to the next level. I think this type of competition is a fine idea.

A previous poster said that how the look of MA changes when full contact is on, again we should not worry what we look like but instead are we adhering to the principles of our art. You looked compact, balanced and aggressive at the right time.

I loved your video and hope you can post your next bouts. Keep up the great work

Paul

OP
W

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments. yes, Vidoes does help us a lot in reviewing what we could have done better and notice the little bad habits that we miss out. I enjoy this type of competition as it helps to put the art into some levels of pressure while maintaining a friendly atmosphere. At the same time I do realize that some places does not enjoy or participate in any sparring at all which is fine as each school is to their own.

Thanks for enjoying my videos. You can see an earlier one from my youtube account to see an earlier "Gor Sau" training if you wish.

As for the next bout, there is actually another competition coming up in September 23-25th in Futshan. I will see how I do in that one.

Echoing the words from other posts, well done for getting in there. Video will help a great amount, I used it my PE lessons at school and this it the most significant tool in accelerating learning (coupled with talking about the video). This is something my club is beginning to do; putting on 16oz gloves and taking the sparring to the next level. I think this type of competition is a fine idea.

A previous poster said that how the look of MA changes when full contact is on, again we should not worry what we look like but instead are we adhering to the principles of our art. You looked compact, balanced and aggressive at the right time.

I loved your video and hope you can post your next bouts. Keep up the great work

Paul

Latest Discussions