History Of The Space Shuttle In Pictures

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Atlantis blasted off into space for the last time and the last of the Shuttle Missions. Hard to believe that it's been 30 years since Columbia was the first to rocket out into space. The numbers are really something and the photos amazing.

From its first launch 30 years ago to its final launch scheduled for next Friday, NASA's Space Shuttle program has seen moments of dizzying inspiration and of crushing disappointment. When next week's launch is complete, the program will have sent up 135 missions, ferrying more than 350 humans and thousands of tons of material and equipment into low Earth orbit. Fourteen astronauts have lost their lives along the way -- the missions have always been risky, the engineering complex, the hazards extreme. As we near the end of the program, I'd like to look back at the past few decades of shuttle development and missions as we await the next steps toward human space flight.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/07/the-history-of-the-space-shuttle/100097/[/Q]

Of course who can forget that thousands of Sci-Fi fans wrote to Nasa and got their way to name the first shuttle. Ironically this one never made it into space, but the iconic name was there to mark it's place in history.

(ok I'm an idjit... tried uploading a pic and failed... dunno)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are not an idiot, my friend - the new picture uploading applet is terrible - Bob, sort it out :unlimbers wet fish:!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
asset.php

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Post #3 is what happens if you try to use the trusted method of saving an image locally and then uploading it to your MT Album. Post#4 is a hot-link.

Poor showing from the new board software so far ... or user error ... what are we doing wrong?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know. I'll run some tests. Mean time, see the walk through for the new editor in the Support area. Might help.

Latest Discussions