Hi everyone, it's been a while

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
I now have a yellow belt in aikido, red belts in karate and judo, a black belt in my own style and a family for two years. I also have completed four years of my ba degree, with a year to go. Has anything much changed? xJohn Robinson

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I now have a yellow belt in aikido, red belts in karate and judo, a black belt in my own style and a family for two years. I also have completed four years of my ba degree, with a year to go. Has anything much changed? xJohn Robinson
Hey :) Can you say how do you mean you are a black belt in your own style? Jx

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Believe it or not Jenna, anybody who makes their own stlye automatically gets this honour.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, John.

One change since you posted last is that we no longer have The Study subforum for non-martial arts related discussion. I believe that is where you spent most of your time posting when you were here before. If you're here to discuss martial arts, then welcome back.

Where are you training and who with? In every organization I'm aware of, a judo red belt represents a 9th dan rank, which I'm sure you're not claiming. Do you have a judo instructor with an idiosyncratic in-house ranking system?

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
BJA Senior Grading Programme Novice –6th Kyu (Red Belt)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Believe it or not Jenna, anybody who makes their own stlye automatically gets this honour.
Well, not necessarily. The creator of a system can decide what ranks exist and what ranks to award, including to himself or herself.
You could claim no rank.
You could claim a blue belt.
You could claim a black belt.
You could claim a 20th degree black sash Ultra-Galactic Grandmastership.

Of course, none of those ranks mean anything to anyone outside your style unless you and your style earn the respect of the larger martial arts community over time.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to be dragged in to petty squabbling. This is exactly what happened last time, and something i want to avoid, Either you respect my promotion, or you don't either way it's not sweat off my back. I'm not here to argue. My family is that main thing in my life, and also affects my martial arts okay?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You could claim a 20th degree black sash Ultra-Galactic Grandmastership.
Tony I can absolutely assure you as a **19th** Degree Black sash Ultra-Galactic Grandmastership myself, I would definitely notice if some one had been promoted ahead of me! ..and believe me there would be hell to pay if that ever happened!

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've also learnt some swords (Kantana/Bokken) since i last posted here.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you finding that on the BJA website? I see them listing red belt as 9th or 10th dan: Gradings British Judo Association
Never mind - I found the pdf file where they list red belt as 6th kyu (the lowest of the kyu ranks in the BJA system). That's very odd. Any other British judo folks know why they made their lowest kyu rank the same belt color as the highest dan rank? Is that a new thing or has it always been that way?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hope you and your family are well! Welcome / welcome back. Take care, enjoy your stay and have a good weekend too :) Jx

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never mind - I found the pdf file where they list red belt as 6th kyu (the lowest of the kyu ranks in the BJA system). That's very odd. Any other British judo folks know why they made their lowest kyu rank the same belt color as the highest dan rank? Is that a new thing or has it always been that way?
Upon further investigation, it looks like the BJA is using the 6th kyu red belt as a substitute for the white belt when you join the BJA. According to this page:
"Once you have registered with the BJA, you are ready to go.
You will recieve a record book, membership card and also a red belt.
A red belt is not a grade.
It just replaces your white belt and shows you have joined the Britsh Judo Association
"

Curiouser and curiouser. Apparently it's been that way since at least 2009, but I haven't found any explanation yet for why the BJA implemented this.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's for juniors Tony. For seniors you have to take the grading and show knowledge of some basic waza and other information, such as who the founder of Judo was. Please see the link i posted as to the waza you need to learn for this grade okay? Also please stop challenging me!