Hi All - I'm new to Martialtalk

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been visiting as a guest for a while. It seems that everyone on this site is friendly and treats each other with respect, so I thought I would register and join.

I'm a newbie to Martial Arts. I'm in my 40's and have been studying Hosinsul (Korean for Self-Defense) for about a year and a half. Hosinsul is based on TaeKwonDo with a bit of YonMooKwan Hapkido added.

I started studying Martial Arts to recover from an accident. My one leg got a bit mangled, with the kneecap ending up on my thigh. I happened to see a program on the Martial Arts on the Discovery Channel and noticed, no matter which Martial Art, how they all had such great balance and fluid movement and thought it would help. My doctor was skeptical at first, but now is very pleased with the improvements that my leg has made in terms of Range of Motion, Increased Strength, and my Sense of Balance (I still got a long way to go in all these areas, as well as flexibility).

I visited several schools in my area and chose the Art that I did, simply because the I liked the people there and felt most comfortable there.

I don't know how much I can add to the discussions, since I don't really know anything. I just have so many more questions than answers, but there's a ton of information and a lot of great discussion and resources on this site.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and enjoy!

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind and don't be afraid of adding your two cents in to any discussions just because you are new to the arts. Just because you are a beginner doesn't mean you cant have insight.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome to MT...There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here..Idiots and the disrespectful don't last long...Make yourself at home...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just because you are new to the arts. Just because you are a beginner doesn't mean you cant have insight

Yes..Nobody knows EVERYTHING, but everybody knows SOMETHING...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk we have a lot of knowledgeable people here and some of the best TKD and Hapkido people if I do say so myself.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Catalyst---good to have you with us. The Korean forum is very active here, and your input will be welcome!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! What an intriguing story to entering the world of Martial Arts you have. Enjoy the forum! :)

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Catalyst! That sounds like a good mix of arts and interests you have.

Looking forward to hearing more from you in the forums,
Ann R.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome......I study hapkido and tae kwon do.....here is where we may have something in common though...I wear 2 titanium leg braces for my knees.

I was in a helicopter accident while on active duty in the Marines about 10 yrs ago.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. I too used the Martial Arts to help improve my body after certain injuries (though not as bad as yours). I am glad that they have been a benefit to you. Good luck with your training and recovery.

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!:ultracool

Mike

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Catalyst,

Its great to meet you!

Youll definitely enjoy MT.

take care,
Chang

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Sounds like you found an art you love, that is awsome.

I visited several schools in my area and chose the Art that I did, simply because the I liked the people there and felt most comfortable there.

This is great advice for anybody starting on their MA journey.

I don't know how much I can add to the discussions, since I don't really know anything. I just have so many more questions than answers, but there's a ton of information and a lot of great discussion and resources on this site.

You already have added to the forum. Nobody gets to 40 in a bubble, everybody has something they bring to the table here. Glad to have you aboard!

Latest Discussions